Ams Must Change

55 replies to this topic

#21 tredmeister

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 112 posts
  • LocationDeep Periphery

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:05 PM

Well, I cannot figure out what she is saying either, but I do know she is piloting a Shadow Cat. :)

#22 PrivateDelik

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:12 PM

I think you should be able to shoot down LRMs with your main battery of weapons. If you are fast on the trigger, you could take out some missiles with a laser or two. If you are really ready, you could take down all of the missiles.

#23 Xarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • 997 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:46 PM

Most of the ammo problems would be solved by making AMS only shoot at missiles that it can draw LOS to - in other words, not through walls or caves.

#24 Past

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:10 PM

Inner sphere ammo per ton needs a buff seeing as clans get 2000 rounds a ton to only 1000 rounds for inner sphere. I understand clans should have advantages but having double the amount is a pretty big advantage on top of the fact their LRM racks are so much lighter.

#25 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:16 PM

View PostVompoVompatti, on 27 August 2014 - 02:39 PM, said:

One thing I'd like to see is a small reward for protecting your teammates with your ams. When you destroy missiles which were not targeted at you there could be a small bonus.
This would give support players a little bit more reward for their work.

Also it wouldn't hurt if IS and Clan ams systems had the same amount of ammo per ton.

It'd also help if there was a big warning whenever someone tried to take only one half ton of AMS ammo.

View PostPast, on 27 August 2014 - 07:10 PM, said:

Inner sphere ammo per ton needs a buff seeing as clans get 2000 rounds a ton to only 1000 rounds for inner sphere. I understand clans should have advantages but having double the amount is a pretty big advantage on top of the fact their LRM racks are so much lighter.
When it becomes 10 v12 Clans vs IS it might seem a bit more fair.

#26 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:50 PM

View PostArmandTulsen, on 27 August 2014 - 02:14 PM, said:

With the advent of Clan LRMs it's folly to carry only one ton of AMS ammo. You need at least two.... ...But you shouldn't. There has already been talk of AMS toggle, but something else that really needs to change is AMS affecting missiles that target only YOU. At least, make it an option. I know that this is a team game, but more often than not my AMS ammo gets burned through by Clan LRMs that aren't even targeting me, then when it's my turn for the LRM rain I'm rather.. fucT. Please change AMS so that it affects only missiles locked on you. And, of course, the toggle is important too.

You do realize LRM boats take around 10 tons of ammo right? You wish to counter them with mere 1 ton of AMS ammo? Where is the logic in that? :unsure:

View PostSephlock, on 27 August 2014 - 07:16 PM, said:

When it becomes 10 v12 Clans vs IS it might seem a bit more fair.

If each mech has 1 ton of AMS ammo, that is 20000 ammo vs, 12000. Far from fair, IMO. :)

IS AMS damage should be buffed from 3.5 to 5. After all, IS AMS shoots solid rounds, not flechettes, like the Clan AMS.

Edited by El Bandito, 27 August 2014 - 07:55 PM.

#27 Xenon Codex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bolt
  • The Bolt
  • 575 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Over the Rainbow

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:03 PM

This is the reason I don't take the AMS Range module, only the overload (10% faster fire rate). I still take 2 tons when I can afford to.

When LURMS are a go at the start of them match, I'm safely behind cover and don't want my AMS firing uselessly. I want my AMS when the brawl starts. Covering teammates is a secondary goal but still only useful when pushing and brawling. Until we get a toggle, the AMS range extender stays in the research lab.

EDIT: Just want to add that I often intentionally goad LRM boats into firing when near cover. Definitely don't want AMS firing and wasting ammo.

Edited by XenonCx, 27 August 2014 - 08:05 PM.

#28 Sorbic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:13 PM

View PostMystere, on 27 August 2014 - 05:48 PM, said:

A toggle is required by those who like to get close to the enemy unseen.

I'm aware and "required" might be a bit strong, but I have an idea that sounds decent enough to my whiskey impaired brain. Sure we can have toggle. But "off" is automatically (temp) overridden if a friendly is in range of your AMS bubble. Folks who have ninja'd around can still play ninja's and people won't abuse it for what they actually want toggle for.

Edited by Sorbic, 27 August 2014 - 08:26 PM.

#29 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:23 PM

View PostSorbic, on 27 August 2014 - 08:13 PM, said:

I'm aware and "required" might be a bit strong, but I have an idea that sounds decent enough to my whiskey impaired brain. Sure we can have toggle. But "off" is automatically (temp) overridden if a friendly is in range of your AMS bubble. Folks who have ninja'd around can still pretend to be ninja's and people won't abuse it for what they actually want toggle for.

As a matter of principle, I don't like a war machine that overrides the pilot's commands. So I give a negative on that one.

#30 Mercules

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:30 PM

View PostPast, on 27 August 2014 - 07:10 PM, said:

Techincally Clans should have:

http://www.sarna.net...-Missile_System

Which has an endless supply of "ammo". All it does is produce extra heat on any turn it fires and protects the mech. So having double the ammo is actually a downgrade for them.

#31 CocoaJin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:40 PM

I'd like to see a toggle for AMS because you can't be stealthy and an automated "club night light show".

#32 ArmandTulsen

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:03 PM

So are we all in agreement, then? We should have, at least, AMS toggle?

#33 ApolloKaras

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:08 PM

View PostArmandTulsen, on 30 August 2014 - 04:03 PM, said:

I think we've always have been. There was a poll that PGI did asking what feature we would want to see next, ams Toggle was at the top or near it.

#34 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:12 PM

View PostArmandTulsen, on 30 August 2014 - 04:03 PM, said:

No, but then i don't want to screw over my team.

#35 Scratx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:15 PM

View PostSorbic, on 27 August 2014 - 08:13 PM, said:

I'm aware and "required" might be a bit strong, but I have an idea that sounds decent enough to my whiskey impaired brain. Sure we can have toggle. But "off" is automatically (temp) overridden if a friendly is in range of your AMS bubble. Folks who have ninja'd around can still play ninja's and people won't abuse it for what they actually want toggle for.

What if I want my lance to ninja through, say, the forest colony cave? Oops, everybody's AMS toggles are overridden....

#36 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:18 PM

View PostArmandTulsen, on 27 August 2014 - 02:14 PM, said:

With the advent of Clan LRMs it's folly to carry only one ton of AMS ammo. You need at least two....

...But you shouldn't.

There has already been talk of AMS toggle, but something else that really needs to change is AMS affecting missiles that target only YOU. At least, make it an option.

I know that this is a team game, but more often than not my AMS ammo gets burned through by Clan LRMs that aren't even targeting me, then when it's my turn for the LRM rain I'm rather.. fucT.

Please change AMS so that it affects only missiles locked on you. And, of course, the toggle is important too.

Double the Armor double the damage to kill one another Double the ammo needed.

AMS ammo on TT could be burned through in a single Missile barrage, we have it exceptionally well that it takes so long to burn through it here.

Even using my house rules, AMS ammo only lasts one minute per ton!

#37 dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 271 posts
  • LocationLaborer caste mess hall

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:25 PM

Just an idea, maybe use the tonnage for a larger engine. It will allow you to move "in-n-out" of cover quicker, and close faster so you can shoot them in the face.

Edited by dezgra, 30 August 2014 - 04:25 PM.

#38 SaltBeef

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts
  • LocationOmni-mech cockpit.

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:30 PM

I want my clan LAMS no mo ammo! Endless supply on core energy!

#39 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:31 PM

View PostSaltBeef, on 30 August 2014 - 04:30 PM, said:

I want my clan LAMS no mo ammo! Endless supply on core energy!

And heat. Don't forget the heat!

#40 SaltBeef

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts
  • LocationOmni-mech cockpit.

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:37 PM

http://www.sarna.net...-Missile_System

Clan wolf 3045

inner sphere later

clan heat 5

Is heat 7

destroys whole volley

Edited by SaltBeef, 30 August 2014 - 04:41 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users