55 replies to this topic

#41 Sorbic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:57 PM

View PostScratx, on 30 August 2014 - 04:15 PM, said:

What if I want my lance to ninja through, say, the forest colony cave? Oops, everybody's AMS toggles are overridden....

Lets be honest in that most cave movements aren't ninja. Usually when a successful cave burst happens someone did notice and even called it out only to be ignored. Plus this would be addressed by stopping AMS from firing when it doesn't have LOS. Of course being ninja isn't really why the average player want toggle anyway...

#42 Scratx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:59 PM

View PostSorbic, on 30 August 2014 - 04:57 PM, said:

Lets be honest in that most cave movements aren't ninja. Usually when a successful cave burst happens someone did notice and even called it out only to be ignored. Plus this would be addressed by stopping AMS from firing when it doesn't have LOS. Of course being ninja isn't really why the average player want toggle anyway...

Yeah, we know... OMG so many missiles hitting the rest of my team and my AMS ammo is running low, I want to stop helping my teammates in an utterly selfish manner to spare ammo to defend myself!

And I was making a general point with my example, not so much speaking of forest colony cave specifically. ;)

#43 StraferX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:49 PM

Why even carry AMS, I have found it to be worthless expecialy in pug matches. Why waste tonnage and ammo and stealth for a team that 86.893% of the time are button mashers and sit back and clean up. I would rather use that tonnage for extra main line firepower or speed so I can stealth in from cover to cover and drop the hammer.

I stopped using AMS 2 weeks ago and have not looked back. Make it rewarding and fix it so it does not work inside caves and tunnels and I'll give it another look but prob not. I look at it like this, if i'm getting LRM'ed to death I probably put myself in the wrong spot. Don't get me wrong I loath the lrm game but avoidance and a change of play style will save your life.

#44 Livewyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 30 August 2014 - 06:21 PM

View PostKoniving, on 27 August 2014 - 05:47 PM, said:

In Battletech, AMS is activated manually.

"Incoming."
"Activate AMS."
"Sir! (Excuses for not doing it)."
"Eject! Eject!"
"(Still stating excuse and boom dies by LRMs.)"

Welp... maybe it's better as automatic. But a toggle would be nice.

I just realized... Technically that Nova Cat got spawn-killed/camped. Ouch.

Thanks for that, Koniving, I am inspired to re-install that.. have not played it for nearly a decade.

#45 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 30 August 2014 - 06:23 PM

AMS could be increased slightly but I imagine LAMS will be implemented at some point.

#46 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 August 2014 - 06:45 PM

Greetings all,

Half of the problem is the AMS doesn't actually see most of the terrain, artwork, or structures.

- It recognises missiles at 800mtrs and attempts to engage when they are in it's firing range.
- If, and that's a big IF, the AMS only fired when it had a direct LOS to the missiles, most of the issues with lack of ammo would be solved.

I would think that the calculations required for LOS to missiles from the AMS, for every second that missiles are in the air, must have been deemed too difficult or required too much net traffic to run. Having to send LOS info constantly between the server and client must cause some performance concerns. I would think that hit state and roll back could be 'fudged' a bit for the LRM's, where AMS is directed at them.
- We aren't seeing the AMS engage and shoot down streaks, or SRM's. And it's designed to actually do that.
- If the Mech is moving and the AMS is in constant motion from the torso moves it may not be as effective as it could be.

Having the AMS identify and track LRM's in flight, calculate the LOS when 'in engagement range' and ONLY fire if LOS is clear to the LRM's is where we need this system to be at.
- At what point does the AMS select which incoming missile type is the Priority?
- Does it only stay on LRM's 'in flight' even if there is a closer target firing SRM's?
(is the AMS even programed to engage SRM's and Streaks?)

Solve the LOS only engagements then work on 'through terrain' shooting, as they will probably be related.
- This will stop the 'asking for an off switch' on an automatic system.

9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 31 August 2014 - 07:22 AM.

#47 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 30 August 2014 - 06:52 PM

View PostArmandTulsen, on 27 August 2014 - 02:14 PM, said:

With the advent of Clan LRMs it's folly to carry only one ton of AMS ammo. You need at least two....

...But you shouldn't.

There has already been talk of AMS toggle, but something else that really needs to change is AMS affecting missiles that target only YOU. At least, make it an option.

I know that this is a team game, but more often than not my AMS ammo gets burned through by Clan LRMs that aren't even targeting me, then when it's my turn for the LRM rain I'm rather.. fucT.

Please change AMS so that it affects only missiles locked on you. And, of course, the toggle is important too.

I'd even be game to have AMS be buffed if it only affected missiles targeted at you. And am a huge fan of the toggle.

#48 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:37 AM

Greetings all,

One of the major reasons the Clans have a single Mech that can mount 3 AMS is for 'other' element protection.

- That systems was specifically designed to 'run interference' for it's other Star elements.

Asking for an 'only at me' AMS return fire policy rather defeats the purpose of this system.
- It's designed to offer close unit protection as the entire unit moves against missile carrying Enemies.

This is a unit, company, and tactics game. Not the single Mech that 'saves the world'. Your not suppose to fight this game alone, it's a team effort and requires team style of play. Thus requiring some to actually 'support' others. Offering AMS shielding is one of these responsibilities for those equipping this system.
- There's nothing quite like a Brawler or two advancing with two support Mech's both carrying AMS.
(missiles are laughed at and swept aside.)

Just some thoughts,
9erRed

#49 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:43 AM

View PostLivewyr, on 30 August 2014 - 06:21 PM, said:

Thanks for that, Koniving, I am inspired to re-install that.. have not played it for nearly a decade.

I've got it installed but couldn't get it running with twin video cards. Might be able to run it now. What I'd love to play is MW3 and MW2 Mercs. I heard MW2 mercs was really good with R&R, unit funding, etc. Basically a boatload of the CW stuff with classic MW2 style gameplay. Haven't played it though. MW3 is just memory lane of the best MW I've ever played.

#50 SaltBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts
  • LocationOmni-mech cockpit.

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:50 AM

I got them to play about 6 mnths ago played em all on a win 98 system. Played heavy gear and starseige also.

#51 Reitrix

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:03 AM

View PostWolfways, on 30 August 2014 - 04:12 PM, said:

No, but then i don't want to screw over my team.

If AMS was changed to a toggle, but only shot down misses targeted on you (So you could disable it when in cover or you know they wont hit due to LoS or something)... There'd be no screwing anyone over, and AMS can stop protecting stingy Pilots who refuse to spend the tonnage on their own system.

Perhaps it needs 3 Modes;
{Self} Only shoots missiles aimed at you.
{Off} Will not shoot missiles.
{Free} Will shoot at any missile within its radius.

This way, 'Mechs like the Kit Fox can supply additional AMS coverage to friendlies with only a single system, or you can just help out your team cos you're a nice guy like that.

#52 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:11 AM

View PostArmandTulsen, on 27 August 2014 - 02:14 PM, said:

With the advent of Clan LRMs it's folly to carry only one ton of AMS ammo. You need at least two....

...But you shouldn't.

There has already been talk of AMS toggle, but something else that really needs to change is AMS affecting missiles that target only YOU. At least, make it an option.

I know that this is a team game, but more often than not my AMS ammo gets burned through by Clan LRMs that aren't even targeting me, then when it's my turn for the LRM rain I'm rather.. fucT.

Please change AMS so that it affects only missiles locked on you. And, of course, the toggle is important too.

you know, in TT, AMS got you 12 volleys "shots" and you rolled dice to see how many you used on each flight. Usually after 2 -3 flights of missiles, you were out of ammo.

Know the one thing that didn't get an Ammo buff in MWO? MIssiles.

So, sorry, can't agree-.

#53 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:18 AM

View PostReitrix, on 31 August 2014 - 10:03 AM, said:

There'd be no screwing anyone over, and AMS can stop protecting stingy Pilots who refuse to spend the tonnage on their own system.

You don't see the contradiction in that? If i bring AMS it's to protect my team, not just me. It is after all a team game.

#54 Reitrix

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:23 AM

View PostWolfways, on 31 August 2014 - 10:18 AM, said:

You don't see the contradiction in that? If i bring AMS it's to protect my team, not just me. It is after all a team game.

Pilots who refuse to bring it themselves is kinda contradictory to teamwork too.

#55 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:52 AM

View PostLivewyr, on 30 August 2014 - 06:21 PM, said:

View PostKoniving, on 31 August 2014 - 08:43 AM, said:

I've got it installed but couldn't get it running with twin video cards. Might be able to run it now. What I'd love to play is MW3 and MW2 Mercs. I heard MW2 mercs was really good with R&R, unit funding, etc. Basically a boatload of the CW stuff with classic MW2 style gameplay. Haven't played it though. MW3 is just memory lane of the best MW I've ever played.

I still have them all in my pc.
Mw2 mercs is legendary, really the perfect game.
Then mw3, that I liked very much as a good simulation; you can fell the stomping, the weight of mechs. I loved mw3, and all the community tournaments I made. Unforgettable moments.
Then came MW4, and.... I really hated it. First impression was "Wat da heeeeeeell is that??" It seems like cartoon style mech. IMO worse mech simulation ever. Still I enjoyed to compete in tournaments, but despite the good works made by mektek... still I don't like it.

BTW, I like mwo because I can fell the STOMPS. And the guns.
I would like every keys of my keyboard to have its own function.
AMS active/disactivated too.

#56 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:48 PM

View PostReitrix, on 31 August 2014 - 10:23 AM, said:

Pilots who refuse to bring it themselves is kinda contradictory to teamwork too.

Yes, but you can't blame them if you do the same. That's all I'm saying.
I don't use AMS myself because LRM's are almost a non-issue and i only pilot stock mechs, so if it has AMS as stock I'll have AMS.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users