32 replies to this topic

#1 DaManiac

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 70 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:47 PM

I'm with AMD right now.

Is there any benefit of ever using an NVidia card with this game? There isn't any physX right?

I'm watching some replays and I notice that I see the actual missiles fly about in these vids, however, I don't' see anything but flares flying int he sky when i play.

Are the missiles an NVidia thing?

Would Nvidia crunch the CryEngine better than AMD would? I can't find a thread discussing this through the search function.

Edited by DaManiac, 27 August 2014 - 02:48 PM.

#2 orcrist86

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon Institute of Science

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:51 PM

Right now you get more band for your dollar with nvidia cards, but more bang for amd processor.... At least that's my understanding

#3 Bigbacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:01 PM

I have trouble with dx11 on my nvidia card. Loss of mech parts, tearing, other weird anomaliEs.

#4 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:04 PM

Its mostly about price and what you value most, AMD is cheaper generally but can sometimes not be as consistent (its what I have now). Whereas nVidia is the GPU leader but you pay more for similar performance numbers.

Just do your research and pick what fits your wallet or your values. I personally almost went nVidia but ended up going AMD because at the time (1.5 years ago) I could get an equivalent GPU for a bit cheaper and it came with 2 free new games (valued at another $100).

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 27 August 2014 - 03:04 PM.

#5 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:13 PM

It depends when you are shopping. AMD and Nvidia go back and forth with the performance crown. Generally, I recommend going to AnandTech's Bench tool and seeing which cards in your price range perform the best in the games you care about.

I have no brand loyalty. Always buy what does the job best at the price you are willing to pay. I currently run two Radeon HD 7970s, and they don't have any issues with MWO other than lack of Crossfire support (one can play the game just fine at max settings and 2560x1440).

#6 zortesh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 624 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:07 PM

Shadow play is the real advantage to using nividia cards, if you like to take recordings of your games anyways.

#7 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:29 PM

The only notable benefit from using an NVidia card is access to TXAA in DX11 (it's there in the video options).

Unfortunately, that AA mode has some bugs, so it is what it is at the moment.

#8 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:31 PM

I just tossed my remaining shares of NVIDIA stock today. Huge gain in it. The fundamentals didn't support the valuation, however, so it was time to go.

Oh, this was about their product. Heh, I still use their product. I see no reason why to use ATI.

And I'll buy the stock back if it takes a dump and ride it up again.

#9 Thorqemada

• 6,365 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:02 PM

Nvidia is a Master of Marketing and offers some stuff that has no use in games like AMD offers stuff that has no use in games.
PhysX has no market relevance since Nvidia made it exclusive and sabotages every Player that does run it on the CPU and more important it has no gameplay relevance.
AMD Mantle is still far away and may be overshadowed by Dx12 (though Mantle may probably be the reason Microsoft develops Dx12).

I switched to AMD many years ago after a series of many disapointing experiences with Nvidia and AMD has never let me down since then.

First i used 3dfx, then 3dfx + Nvidia, then Nvidia, since then AMD (ATI).

#10 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:51 PM

View Postzortesh, on 27 August 2014 - 04:07 PM, said:

Shadow play is the real advantage to using nividia cards, if you like to take recordings of your games anyways.

AMD cards just started having that ability with Raptr (though its currently in Beta). I haven't used that ability yet but I have been using it to record, its better than Fraps, and as good as Bandicam it seems (saved me from buying Bandicam).

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 27 August 2014 - 06:52 PM.

#11 ProtoformX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 436 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:23 PM

View PostDaManiac, on 27 August 2014 - 02:47 PM, said:

Would Nvidia crunch the CryEngine better than AMD would? I can't find a thread discussing this through the search function.

Maybe to the extent that CryEngine has some nVidia tweaks to make it run faster on their cards. I'm guessing that only gives them something like a 5% benefit, and nothing visually should be improved by the nVidia card. Are you using an older AMD/ATi card right now? That maybe why some things don't render correctly. A new AMD card would fix it.

#12 Aresye

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:17 PM

View Postzortesh, on 27 August 2014 - 04:07 PM, said:

Shadowplay is pretty amazing. Way more efficient than FRAPS, and you'll never miss that golden video opportunity on those days you didn't have FRAPS loaded.

#13 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:42 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 27 August 2014 - 04:29 PM, said:

The only notable benefit from using an NVidia card is access to TXAA in DX11 (it's there in the video options).

As much as I'm in the tank for nVidia, the price/ performance isn't there: http://www.tomshardw...eview,3107.html

#14 Rhent

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:44 PM

I'm with AMD right now.

Is there any benefit of ever using an NVidia card with this game? There isn't any physX right?

I'm watching some replays and I notice that I see the actual missiles fly about in these vids, however, I don't' see anything but flares flying int he sky when i play.

I had an AMD Crossfire set up that frankly was not performing well, it was a year old. I bought an Nvidia single card and Nvidia has a Physx chip built in. You will see some better visual effects in Nvidia you will not see in AMD. Its not hugely noticeable but you will tell the difference.

#15 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:24 PM

Running a single AMD 6970 GPU, and get decent performance, at around 30fps but it can vary wildly between 15 and 50fps
I don't blame the card though, because I can run BF3, FarCry3 and other better looking games at much better framerates - PGI's engine is inefficient has heck.

As for video recording I use MSI Afterburner which is completely free and works on pretty much any modern card. Runs in the background and only hits FPS by 2-3 frames while recording. File sizes leave a little to be desired but hey, it's free.
http://event.msi.com...er/download.htm

#16 GumbyC2C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 392 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationDeutchland

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:42 PM

For the most part features like PhysX, Mantle, G-sync, Free-sync, and others are just marketing. AMD and Nvidia cards are so close in performance and price that the marketing guys need to have something to sell. I have been building my own gaming computers for nearly 20 years now. When I buy a video card, I am no fanboy for either AMD or Nvidia. I just buy the best performing card for the budget I have at the time. This method of choosing has never let me down. Currently, I have an AMD R290 because last November when I built this computer, it was by far the best bang for the buck. This game (and all the others I play) looks great and runs super smooth. I play with V-sync on, full details, and the fps never drops. If that ever changes, it will be time to upgrade and I will again go with the best bang for the buck card regardless of who makes the chip.

#17 DaManiac

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 70 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:28 PM

View PostRhent, on 27 August 2014 - 08:44 PM, said:

I had an AMD Crossfire set up that frankly was not performing well, it was a year old. I bought an Nvidia single card and Nvidia has a Physx chip built in. You will see some better visual effects in Nvidia you will not see in AMD. Its not hugely noticeable but you will tell the difference.

I'm using a HD7870, when when I'm walking towards the battle, I'm humming along sweet at 60fps. When the missles start to fly FSP can drop to 19 when it's rough. That's not the issue though.

MWO is my main game, and i'm not looking at this from a cost perspective, I want to be able to enjoy this as much as I can (barring stupid weapon nerfings by lazy game designers (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!)).

Back to the missles, Looking at the twitch replays, I notice some of them seem a lot more alive that what I witness on screen, I know the 7870 isn't a pushover. And my details are set to max, so this leaves me wondering if NVidia cards do show a bit more.

But according to Rhent, are the missles this extra PhysX (if it is indeed PhysX) or whatever it might be that they've programmed into the game? Or maybe it's just time to step up to that GTX 780? I would not like my custom PC to be walked over by some chummy steam machine after all.

#18 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:40 PM

View PostGoose, on 27 August 2014 - 08:42 PM, said:

As much as I'm in the tank for nVidia, the price/ performance isn't there: http://www.tomshardw...eview,3107.html

I was only referencing that feature with respect to this game... and nothing about price/performance.. let alone preference.

#19 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:45 PM

No benefit, no PhysX!

Nope! I see them on my AMD card as well.

No, they perform about the same, if the GPUs are in the same performance class.

The difference between AMD and Nvidia are the price (Nvidia tends to be more expensive) and AMD is much more open with new technologies, making them available to everyone, while Nvidias is very restrictive and doesn't like to share.

Everything else is flavor and fanboy attitude.

Moving this thread to the hardware forums.

#20 William Mountbank

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 671 posts
  • LocationBayern

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:47 PM

MWO is massively CPU bottlenecked, your video card makes almost no difference, Nvidia or AMD, or Matrox...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users