9 replies to this topic

#1 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,966 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:31 PM

IFF (identify Friend or Foe) all planes have them, even civilian airliners have them

It’s a transponder beacon that identifies who you are
The terminology used is aircraft does not squawk mode so and so

http://en.wikipedia....rrogation_modes

Also called the Dorito (for the triangular shape) it sits above the Mech
I just came from a match where an enemy light was hitting me in the back as I lobbed my LRM's so I rushed forward to get back with the group
From around the corner comes a raven so I start shooting and it just looks at me-- crap I just shot a good guy

Some of our mechs had them some did not but it makes you hesitate just enough to get tore up by the bad guys

Anyone else have this problem?

edit beacon not bacon lol

Edited by Davegt27, 27 August 2014 - 09:29 PM.

#2 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:41 PM

Yeah, it's a bug that has started showing up.

#3 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:42 PM

Yep, just had a game where 4 friendlies didn't appear on radar.

http://mwomercs.com/...57#entry3671857

#4 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:44 PM

Yeah I have this problem. It's been around for a very long time and other people have had it. However for me, it was extremely rare, and when it did happen it'd usually happen to only one, occassionally 2, but never 3. I already mentioned it in the patch notes feedback thing in someone else's thread. Since this last patch, half my team do not have the blue doritos above them. While I do have experience from previous games how to identify ally from foe quickly by looking at their movements, it stills slows down the pace of the combat, and can sometimes cause extra damage to you.

They are upgrading their equipment soon, so im hoping it's just the fact that tons of people are on recently because of the vindicators + nova being released, and units are being created so everyone is getting called back to MWO.

#5 WalkingDeathBot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 459 posts
  • LocationLooking for Paul so as to troll him

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:35 PM

Yeah I've experienced this too, and I feel pretty bad when I uac20 my own team in the face. Usually though, chances are if they're not shooting you, they're on your team.

#6 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:40 PM

Me too. I've seen a few incidents where big fights developed ending in teamkilling as a result, too.

#7 Jhaele

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:40 PM

Just ran into this for the first time on Tuesday. I was more then a little shocked when the team kill was announced.

#8 Unusual Suspect

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:44 PM

I've had this bug before. Fortunately I noticed the mech that wasn't registering as friend OR foe (a fast medium, if memory serves) early enough that reason allowed only the possibility that it was a teammate. My lizard brain was about 1/2 a second from putting an alpha in its backside, ape-brain decision or not, before I managed to control it.

Kept an eye on it for the rest of that match (I just didn't attack that mech chassis), though in the chaos I undoubtedly put a touch of laserglow on him once or twice...

At least twice I've observed an enemy team where this bug lead to a TK... within 15 seconds of starting a match. Don't let a twitchy trigger finger devoid you of logical and tactical necessities. You don't spawn DIRECTLY next to the enemy, so an unmarked enemy really early in the match is almost certainly a teammate.

#9 KaikuPen

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:47 PM

I was in Terra Therma peeping in and out of cover from behind one the pillars around the center platform lobbing half damage ac20 rounds at red doritos peeping from the various entrances in a trial blackjack with a critical RT and when I saw what I thought was an ecm kitfox without a dorito running down my left flank from where the enemy was and for some reason he wasn't shooting at me.

So fearing for the XL in my RT I shot off both his arms, overheated, overrode the shutdown, and CT'd him into the lava river below with my last round as he stood there typing out bloody murder as my jaw hit the floor at the Team kill notification. I then ran right into an enemy atlas as I frantically typed out my defense and "WTF PGI?'s" with another teammate explaining the bug to us as the match ended.

Now it was a losing battle but I was enjoying some intense combat until that happened!

spelled "trial" wrong :)

Edited by EchoNine, 27 August 2014 - 10:49 PM.

#10 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:58 PM

I hope to detail a post about this soon.

Frankly, PGI's non-answer to fixing/addressing this is appalling.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users