• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:20 AM

View PostShaitan Kerensky, on 27 August 2014 - 09:45 PM, said:

So my friend is considering joining mwo. What mech should I suggest as his first? I was thinking a Shadow Hawk for IS or Nova for Clan. Thoughts?

My Logic is that lights are too difficult to play now and anything heavy can be beaten down by a TW. Assaults are not really noob friendly and so I think he should shy away from them.

Boy oh boy, he rally came at a great time.
Here's the deal, today from 10AM PDT to tomorrow 10AM PDT they are shutting down their normal servers for maintenance. (If you already know the following, then I apologize)

During this time, they are turning on their Public Test Servers for everyone to use while they test out weapon balance changes (happens often). During public test, they give a massive amount of CB, MC, and GXP to every player (I'm talking enough to try out tons of mechs). You can buy any mechs and try any loadouts in the Public Test Server (essentially for free), and I suggest you do so.

Just keep in mind that nothing you do on the Public Test Server will transition back to your normal account when you log in after testing and maintenance are over. To join the test server when it goes live today at 10AM PDT, you'll need to download the installer for the PTS.

Located here:
http://patcher.mwome...neInstaller.exe

This is a completely separate installation from your normal MWO install, so I've put it somewhere else. You'll likely want to get patching right away, so you can make the most of the testing period.

My recommendations are that he try Shadowhawks, Blackjacks and Jagermechs. But you will have enough free money to try every medium mech if you really want to. Make sure you buy three variants of each mech, and max out all their efficiencies to know what playing that fully upgraded mech will feel like.

Edited by xeromynd, 28 August 2014 - 07:21 AM.

#22 Motörhead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 262 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:22 AM

I'm testing the nova-S and it's nice with 6 C-ERMLAS and 4 C-MGs...ofc the StormCrow is better, but that takes still a lot of time for c-Bills.

For IS, ShadowHawk for sure, start with the 2K since it can bascally fit all roles :

http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__3660630

Edited by fx8320, 28 August 2014 - 07:22 AM.

#23 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:25 AM

Blackjacks are nimble and the 1x is fast once you upgrade the engine. They are good strikers but can't take on heavier mechs by themselves.

#24 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:45 AM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 28 August 2014 - 07:25 AM, said:

Blackjacks are nimble and the 1x is fast once you upgrade the engine. They are good strikers but can't take on heavier mechs by themselves.

I kill stuff bigger than me in a BJ all the time, just don't be standing where they're looking and make those shots count ;)

Edited by Redshift2k5, 28 August 2014 - 07:46 AM.

#25 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:06 AM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 28 August 2014 - 07:45 AM, said:

I kill stuff bigger than me in a BJ all the time, just don't be standing where they're looking and make those shots count ;)

exactly, don't let yourself be their primary target and aim for weak points.

#26 xeromynd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:16 AM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 28 August 2014 - 08:06 AM, said:

exactly, don't let yourself be their primary target and aim for weak points.

Also worth noting that a BJ-1X with engine maxed out (295) and speed tweak, can easily maneuver around back of a slow assault (Direwolf, Stalker, Atlas) and chew on its backside while staying away from its guns, just be proactive about where the assualt starts turning towards. (They'll obviously try and turn around to hit you, but you're usually faster).

BJ-1X with 6xSPL and 2xMPL is fantastic at chewing mechs up real fast.

#27 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:55 AM

View Postxeromynd, on 28 August 2014 - 08:16 AM, said:

Also worth noting that a BJ-1X with engine maxed out (295) and speed tweak, can easily maneuver around back of a slow assault (Direwolf, Stalker, Atlas) and chew on its backside while staying away from its guns, just be proactive about where the assualt starts turning towards. (They'll obviously try and turn around to hit you, but you're usually faster).

BJ-1X with 6xSPL and 2xMPL is fantastic at chewing mechs up real fast.

I play a BJ wuth dual PPCs, very different kind of play!

#28 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:16 AM

Mediums:
Centurion:
Durable, fairly fast, arm mounted ballistic weapon. Flexible skirmisher paired with excellent survivability.

Shadowhawk:
Fast and with good hardpoint design. A ballistic weapon right next to your cockpit can generate a lot of irritating effects during fire though. Jump Jets.

Hunchback:
Mixed bag. Very good hadpoint layout and each variant has a different focus. Hunch is a pretty good target for people to shoot at though, as most of the harpoints are located on that side.

Blackjack:
Odd design and can't migitate damage through twisting well, but it's high mounted weapons allow you shoot at anything you can see. Jump Jets.

Assault:
Stalker: Front line fire support 'Mech with high energy and missile focus. Extremely durable, but tends to suffer from heat issues.

Battlemaster:
Large, tough, fast, with arm mounted ballistics. Hits hard and is very flexible on the field.

#29 xeromynd

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:19 AM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 28 August 2014 - 08:55 AM, said:

I play a BJ wuth dual PPCs, very different kind of play!

Yes oh yes, my BJ-3 has the Dual PPC treatment. Also works well.
BJ-1C (or whatever it's called) also works well with Dual UAC5 & 2 ML, or AC20 & 3 ML.
Blackjack is the best medium imo. I was never a fan of Shadowhawks, but the majority of people seem to like them, so I guess that counts for something =P

#30 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,658 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:41 AM

Remind him there is no respawn. Once his mech has been destroyed it is gone til the end of the match.

#31 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:57 AM

View PostShaitan Kerensky, on 27 August 2014 - 09:45 PM, said:

So my friend is considering joining mwo. What mech should I suggest as his first? I was thinking a Shadow Hawk for IS or Nova for Clan. Thoughts?

My Logic is that lights are too difficult to play now and anything heavy can be beaten down by a TW. Assaults are not really noob friendly and so I think he should shy away from them.

What I would suggest is finding out your friend's playstyles.

A Nova doesn't shine until learning how to control the arms, much like a Dragon. The Nova and Shadowhawk actually cater to two very different playing styles, actually.

What do you know about the way he plays?

What's also important is if you intend to play together, what could best compliment what you drive? For example a Nova can easily compliment a Timber Wolf and the two would be nearly unstoppable.

A Shadowhawk can keep up provided it doesn't over bog itself with ballistics, but this leaves a choice between having enough ammo and not sacrificing speed/firepower. It also has a problem of a narrow field of vision with lots of flashes and smoke in the way. Back to the positive side most of its weapons are on the torsos.

Stormcrows are nice, but its speed could allow it to outrun the Timber Wolf and get isolated and killed. Then again its speed could allow your friend to sweep in behind enemies and allow for a two-prong-attack. The missiles can make it easier for a new pilot to focus more on navigation than aiming, even if they do fire really slow (streaks).

A Kitfox could also compliment any mech you use with its ECM and its got a little bit of everything. Just remember 2 armor rear, everything else on the front. Yay hitbox exploits.

Far as non-clan mechs, well... there are good ones, but then he wouldn't be a Clan Wolf like you.

#32 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:23 AM

View PostCervantes88, on 28 August 2014 - 05:17 AM, said:

Someone has to say it :

Locusts are solid mechs, start with them. These other guys are trolling you.

I learned to play the game in Locusts. If you can do well in a Locust, you are already above average in any 'Mech short of Assaults.

View PostModo44, on 28 August 2014 - 06:39 AM, said:

The BJ is squishy. Low armor + limited arm shielding ability = bad times without map knowledge and solid piloting skills. It is a decent mech after you learn how to mech.

I actually agree here. The BJ-1DC was a 'Mech I bought early in my career...and then sold as soon as I could afford my first Jagermech (the DD, as it were). The Jagermech is a lot easier to learn how to play with than the Blackjack, but after going back to Blackjacks I think the mini-me is much more versatile than the JM6.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users