New Player Looking For Mech Suggestions

31 replies to this topic

#1 Shaitan Kerensky

• PipPipPip
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • 84 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:45 PM

So my friend is considering joining mwo. What mech should I suggest as his first? I was thinking a Shadow Hawk for IS or Nova for Clan. Thoughts?

My Logic is that lights are too difficult to play now and anything heavy can be beaten down by a TW. Assaults are not really noob friendly and so I think he should shy away from them.

#2 Kilo 40

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts
  • Locationin my moms basement, covered in cheeto dust

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:47 PM

storm crow is 100x better than a nova. better to wait if you want a clan medium.

#3 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:53 PM

The SDH is a really really solid mech even after the clans were introduced. It's really cheap for what is has to offer.
Probably the mech with the best bang for the buck.

Guys will suggest the Hunchback: nopenopenopenopenope.
Seriously don't do it. Don't get a HBK first.

#4 John1352

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:56 PM

Get him to play all the trial mechs and see what he likes (weight and weapon types). Heavies and mediums are probably the better classes for a new player, if he likes ballistics the shadowhawk is probably the best IS starter. New players are usually better off with JJs for mobility IMO, as there are lots of places where you need to know the paths without them.

View Postmeteorol, on 27 August 2014 - 09:53 PM, said:

The SDH is a really really solid mech even after the clans were introduced. It's really cheap for what is has to offer.
Probably the mech with the best bang for the buck.

Guys will suggest the Hunchback: nopenopenopenopenope.
Seriously don't do it. Don't get a HBK first.

The hunchback's main advantage is that the hunch is right next to the cockpit, the shadowhawk gets similar high hardpoints, plus jumpjets, WAY bigger engine capacity, more armor. It's a case of one rendering the other obsolete.

Edited by John1352, 27 August 2014 - 10:00 PM.

#5 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:57 PM

The HBK was a king of newbie mechs, long ago. These days, yeah, go Shadowhawk. It's a really excellent chassis and inexpensive.

For Clans... As was said, Stormcrow, or Timberwolf starting out. Both require MC/a'la cart/pack right now, though, so you're better off just grabbing Shadowhawks to start out.

#6 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:57 PM

The Trial Nova is actually a solid mech, although perhaps not super easy to drive. Its not particularly limiting though, and could potentially be a good starter mech if he's got your guidance.

#7 Crunk Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 255 posts
  • LocationJamalia

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:58 PM

Shadowhawk is the best IS medium mech.

Vindicator is the worst IS medium mech.

Edited by Crunk Prime, 27 August 2014 - 09:58 PM.

#8 cranect

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 460 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:59 PM

Personally I would go centurion. It is my favorite and after you learn how to use the shield arm effectively you can use the same concept with any other mech. Hunchback is a poor starting choice. Until I learned to sheild the hunch got blown off early every time.

#9 Voidcrafter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 718 posts
  • LocationBulgaria

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:09 PM

View PostCrunk Prime, on 27 August 2014 - 09:58 PM, said:

Shadowhawk is the best IS medium mech.

Vindicator is the worst IS medium mech.

Pretty much that.
Well the Shadowhawk part anyways - don't know about the Vindie.
I recently introduced a co-worker to the game, who never played anything Mech-ish - he finished his cadet runs and actually listened to me and got Shadowhawk 2D2 - he was really, really happy with it.
Depends on what you find the most effective though - there're different types of builds.
I adviced him to use AC20 on the mech - I still think it's the best mech to be built that way and it is REALLY effective for a medium.
If you like AC20s, you want to be agile around the maps, you're thoughtful and already found a way to not get under constant LRM fire, you know that going I-RAMBO on stuff is a bad idea and prefer a bit more tactical and sneaky approach - that's the mech for you.
Also the way it's designed make it really, really durable mech under fire.
To build it right(at least that's my opinion) you needed something like ~11 milion CBills - where "build it right" equals max-upgrading it, buying the proper weapons and engine.
When you do that though - you'll have a pretty decent grinding machine and you'll be able(at some point - when this medium madness starts to disappear) to enter the game quite fast.

#10 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:27 PM

Kitfox with the C-arm. Cheap and immediately effective.

#11 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:05 PM

I rather liked the Catapult C4; stuff it with SRMs, give it two lasers, and off you go. Game-play is simple: stay with teammates and, when the fighting starts in earnest, get close to punch people in the face.

The C1 might offer more versatility, but I'm a ***** for quad SRM6+A.

#12 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:19 PM

Let him try a few of the trials and see what weight class he actually likes and perfoms well with.

#13 Turist0AT

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 03:45 AM

streaktaro is a solid choice too

#14 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 04:48 AM

Shadowhawk or Nova. The Stormcrow will be the better choice once it is out for Cbills. Other 55 ton IS mechs can do some things better than the Shadowhawk, but none is as versatile as the 2D/2D2 variants.

#15 Cervantes88

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 28 August 2014 - 05:17 AM

Someone has to say it :

Locusts are solid mechs, start with them. These other guys are trolling you.

#16 mad kat

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 28 August 2014 - 05:28 AM

No mention of the Blackjack? gotta be one of the easiest mechs to drive and a 1X kitted out with 8 medium lasers and DHS is a threat to most mechs in game if can close in with team mates. Aside from the DHS it is best run with a std engine so it's cheap too.

The caveat is the mech suffers a little until it's elited when it comes into it's own.

#17 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 05:35 AM

View Postmad kat, on 28 August 2014 - 05:28 AM, said:

No mention of the Blackjack?

It is weak. Something fun for good pilots, too squishy for rookies. There, mentioned.

#18 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 28 August 2014 - 05:38 AM

SHDs are good, though he might find the SHD's limited cockpit view caustrophobic.

Phracts offer many options, and can also be equipped to move at Medium-like speeds, if you trade off some weapons.

#19 mad kat

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 28 August 2014 - 05:47 AM

View PostModo44, on 28 August 2014 - 05:35 AM, said:

It is weak. Something fun for good pilots, too squishy for rookies. There, mentioned.

If you say so but this is hard to argue with:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5aa02517449c2db

goes over 90Kph after tweak got a good speed/armour balance high mounted weapons for hill humping and an AC40 equivalent alpha without shutting down, great torso twist and manoeuvrability. What more could you want?

Note: this has had a slight engine upgrade too and some armour relocation, not really squishy or even pricey.

I should say though try not to get head shot, Jager style.

Edited by mad kat, 28 August 2014 - 05:52 AM.

#20 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 06:39 AM

The BJ is squishy. Low armor + limited arm shielding ability = bad times without map knowledge and solid piloting skills. It is a decent mech after you learn how to mech.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users