Is Lights

76 replies to this topic

#1 RustyBolts

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:44 AM

I am tired of seeing the IS scream Clan mechs need to be nerf. I say IS lights need to be nerfed. They have an unfair advantage in speed, heat efficiency, ECM and hard points.

IS mechs can move anywhere from 20 to 50 kph faster than the clans. In lights speed equals survival.
NERF THE IS LIGHTS!

IS mechs have weapons that generate much less heat than Clan mechs. NERF THE IS LIGHTS!

IS mechs have several light mechs that have ECM along with mediums, heavies and assaults. The clans have only one light mech that has ECM and its in its arm instead of a torso slot. NERF THE IS LIGHTS!

IS lights can spread the weapons over their torsos. Clan mechs have to put most of their weapons in their arms. NERF THE IS LIGHTS!

#2 A banana in the tailpipe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,696 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:04 PM

LOL

IS lights are the most vulnerable mechs in the game.

Lights have 6 kill boxes, more than any mech. Both legs, All 3 torsos, and the head. Any of those go bye bye and your IS light mech is worthless.
Unable to out runs LRMs which have a lovely habit of hitting the legs first.
Paper thin armor your own team will likely shoot off before the other team does.
Fall damage from pebbles/velocity screws over your speed advantage.
Long "end game" grind required to compete (LRM Derp+Shock Absorbers+Inproved NARC is 40,000 GXP)
ECM jesus box easily countered by NARC/TAG/BAP.
Low damage/contribution unless you want to sit on your thumbs most of the match negating the reason to have all that speed.
Collision damage from other mechs has the most impact.
Most likely to get stuck in the poorly designed sections of maps.
Stock variants are slow walking coffins.
Jump Jet heat nerfs severely limited mobility.
Dual heat sink/XL engine/ECM requirement to compete makes them one of the more expensive mechs in the game to play effectively.

But hey look on the bright side kid, those IS light pilots have to be damn good to do what they do, so if you're fed up with them, at least you're getting beat by pros. :)

#3 RustyBolts

• The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:11 PM

View Postlockwoodx, on 30 August 2014 - 12:04 PM, said:

LOL

IS lights are the most vulnerable mechs in the game.

Lights have 6 kill boxes, more than any mech. Both legs, All 3 torsos, and the head. Any of those go bye bye and your IS light mech is worthless.
Unable to out runs LRMs which have a lovely habit of hitting the legs first.
Paper thin armor your own team will likely shoot off before the other team does.
Fall damage from pebbles/velocity screws over your speed advantage.
Long "end game" grind required to compete (LRM Derp+Shock Absorbers+Inproved NARC is 40,000 GXP)
ECM jesus box easily countered by NARC/TAG/BAP.
Low damage/contribution unless you want to sit on your thumbs most of the match negating the reason to have all that speed.
Collision damage from other mechs has the most impact.
Most likely to get stuck in the poorly designed sections of maps.
Stock variants are slow walking coffins.
Jump Jet heat nerfs severely limited mobility.
Dual heat sink/XL engine/ECM requirement to compete makes them one of the more expensive mechs in the game to play effectively.

But hey look on the bright side kid, those IS light pilots have to be damn good to do what they do, so if you're fed up with them, at least you're getting beat by pros. :)

Funny that almost all the drawbacks you listed for IS lights also apply to the Clan lights. Except your slow comment. See you can always speed up those slow stock mechs by changing your engines. Not an option for clan mechs. So I continue with the NERF IS LIGHTS! LMAO.

#4 A banana in the tailpipe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,696 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:29 PM

View PostRustyBolts, on 30 August 2014 - 12:11 PM, said:

Funny that almost all the drawbacks you listed for IS lights also apply to the Clan lights. Except your slow comment. See you can always speed up those slow stock mechs by changing your engines. Not an option for clan mechs. So I continue with the NERF IS LIGHTS! LMAO.

AHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA NO

Wake me when IS light XL shoulders don't explode in one hit killing you outright. Clan lights also severely out gun IS lights. The Kitfox can equip generous LRMs, NARC, and ECM without sacrificing squat if they want to roll that way. Superior range.... the list goes on and on. It was delicious troll bait, but I expected you to give some genuine problems about IS lights, not a list of reasons why you suck at piloting them. :)

#5 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:29 PM

View PostRustyBolts, on 30 August 2014 - 11:44 AM, said:

IS mechs can move anywhere from 20 to 50 kph faster than the clans. In lights speed equals survival.

Clan lights, on the other side, can mount about 50% more weaponry than IS lights. They hit like mediums. And they don't die on a side torso hit.

IS mechs have weapons that generate much less heat than Clan mechs.

Ah, trigger discipline, my old nemesis, we meet again! The fact that Clan weapons are lighter, do more damage, and have greater range can be just ignored, right?

IS mechs have several light mechs that have ECM along with mediums, heavies and assaults. The clans have only one light mech that has ECM and its in its arm instead of a torso slot.

Look, there's not enough ECM 'mechs in the game to even mix things up this badly.

IS has five ECM 'mechs; three lights (COM-2D, SDR-5D, RVN-3L), one 40-ton medium (CDA-3M), one assault (AS7-D-DC). No heavies have ever had ECM.

IS lights can spread the weapons over their torsos. Clan mechs have to put most of their weapons in their arms.

Arm-mounted weaponry is an advantage in a light, not a disadvantage. Turn arm lock off.

To echo the prevailing sentiment of this thread: Sigh. /facepalm.

Edited by stjobe, 30 August 2014 - 12:30 PM.

#6 RustyBolts

• The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:33 PM

Ahh yes. I continue with the LMAO. NERF IS LIGHTS. They are faster have more Ecm better hardpoints and dont have to worry about over heating as much. And yes this is not a serious post. This is just to show how pathetic most of the NERF CLAN MECH threads are. Most cannot see that clans are not better, but different. All the do is scream NERF CLAN MECHS based on what they percieve as better instead of different.

Edited by RustyBolts, 30 August 2014 - 12:38 PM.

#7 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:37 PM

View PostRustyBolts, on 30 August 2014 - 12:33 PM, said:

IS LIGHTS [...] have more Ecm

Statistically speaking, 50% of Clan lights have (access to) ECM, while only 9.6% of IS light do :)

#8 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:45 PM

View PostRustyBolts, on 30 August 2014 - 12:33 PM, said:

Most cannot see that clans are not better, but different.

That "difference" meant a 90% win rate in the first round of Clan vs IS tests. I'd say they're not just different, but also better in many ways - or the win rate would have been much closer to 50%.

It does seem that PGI agrees, seeing as they keep nerfing the Clan stuff.

#9 RustyBolts

• The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:46 PM

If the current clans could swap out XL engines and retain their hit advantage I would say the clan XL engine is OP. However since you are forced to keep the slow engine the trade off of hit advantage is fair. NERF IS LIGHTS!

#10 RustyBolts

• The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:50 PM

View Poststjobe, on 30 August 2014 - 12:45 PM, said:

That "difference" meant a 90% win rate in the first round of Clan vs IS tests. I'd say they're not just different, but also better in many ways - or the win rate would have been much closer to 50%.

It does seem that PGI agrees, seeing as they keep nerfing the Clan stuff.

Since the basis of the argument is on performance I will continue to scream NERF IS LIGHTS since they out perform Clan lights.

#11 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:52 PM

View PostRustyBolts, on 30 August 2014 - 12:50 PM, said:

Since the basis of the argument is on performance I will continue to scream NERF IS LIGHTS since they out perform Clan lights.

You do realize... if you're using Clan Lights anything like IS Lights... you're doing it wrong.

I await the day... of the Firemoth.

#12 RustyBolts

• The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:56 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 30 August 2014 - 12:52 PM, said:

You do realize... if you're using Clan Lights anything like IS Lights... you're doing it wrong.

I await the day... of the Firemoth.

Oh I do know. However others dont and they just scream NERF!. If the whole argument is based on performance and Clan mediums, heavies and assaults out performed IS mech and that is why they are being nerfed, then why is the same zeal of NERF THE CLAN MECHS, not being applied to the IS light vs the clan lights?

#13 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:59 PM

View PostRustyBolts, on 30 August 2014 - 12:56 PM, said:

Oh I do know. However others dont and they just scream NERF!. If the whole argument is based on performance and Clan mediums, heavies and assaults out performed IS mech and that is why they are being nerfed, then why is the same zeal of NERF THE CLAN MECHS, not being applied to the IS light vs the clan lights?

It's because people recognize IS Lights for what they are vs the Clan Lights that obviously function so differently, you'd be mocked for even suggesting it.

You can actually put good numbers in a Clan Light (well, I only subscribe to the Cute Fox, not the Badder), but it's really a matter of discipline in knowing your limitations.

Demands for nerfing Clan Mechs are legitimate, due to the benefits of Clan XL. Everything else is a little bit more subjective though.

Edited by Deathlike, 30 August 2014 - 01:00 PM.

#14 RustyBolts

• The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 01:03 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 30 August 2014 - 12:59 PM, said:

It's because people recognize IS Lights for what they are vs the Clan Lights that obviously function so differently, you'd be mocked for even suggesting it.

You can actually put good numbers in a Clan Light (well, I only subscribe to the Cute Fox, not the Badder), but it's really a matter of discipline in knowing your limitations.

Demands for nerfing Clan Mechs are legitimate, due to the benefits of Clan XL. Everything else is a little bit more subjective though.

I can put up 700 to 900 games in my Ember. I can also put up 400 to 500 games in a spider and jenner. I have yet to break 400 in a kitfox or adder. I am sure others have, but going by the mentality of the forums, since I cant put up those numbers, NERF IS LIGHTS!

Edited by RustyBolts, 30 August 2014 - 01:05 PM.

#15 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 01:12 PM

View PostRustyBolts, on 30 August 2014 - 01:03 PM, said:

I can put up 700 to 900 games in my Ember. I can also put up 400 to 500 games in a spider and jenner. I have yet to break 400 in a kitfox or adder. I am sure others have, but going by the mentality of the forums, since I cant put up those numbers, NERF IS LIGHTS!

TBH, MGs still inherit damage inflation from the crit bonuses... so I'm not even going to try to explain it further.

If you're not driving the Clan Light like a Medium, then as I said previously... you're doing it wrong.

Edited by Deathlike, 30 August 2014 - 01:12 PM.

#16 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 30 August 2014 - 01:18 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 30 August 2014 - 01:12 PM, said:

TBH, MGs still inherit damage inflation from the crit bonuses... so I'm not even going to try to explain it further.

If you're not driving the Clan Light like a Medium, then as I said previously... you're doing it wrong.

You *could* play it like an Electronic Warfare-oriented AAA support platform instead of a Light Combat Vehicle...

Kitfox with ECM, BAP, 3x AMS, 4 tons AMS ammo, AMS Overload, AMS Range, Adv. Sensor Range, and an ERPPC. It's not playable as a Medium, but still playable as its own kind of Light.

#17 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 30 August 2014 - 01:19 PM

View PostRustyBolts, on 30 August 2014 - 01:03 PM, said:

Cute Fox OP, plz nerf.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Also one with a Magic Jesus Box:
Posted Image

#18 RustyBolts

• The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 01:28 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 30 August 2014 - 01:12 PM, said:

Lmao. You are not understanding my post in response to yours. Since you did not understand it, NERF THE IS LIGHTS.

View PostProsperity Park, on 30 August 2014 - 01:18 PM, said:

You *could* play it like an Electronic Warfare-oriented AAA support platform instead of a Light Combat Vehicle...

Kitfox with ECM, BAP, 3x AMS, 4 tons AMS ammo, AMS Overload, AMS Range, Adv. Sensor Range, and an ERPPC. It's not playable as a Medium, but still playable as its own kind of Light.

Which is how I play mine since it is the only clan mech with ECM and it is slow as hell. So NERF IS LIGHTS.

#19 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 01:32 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 30 August 2014 - 01:19 PM, said:

Cute Fox OP, plz nerf.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Also one with a Magic Jesus Box:
Posted Image

Stahp. Don't nerf it ugly! ;)

View PostRustyBolts, on 30 August 2014 - 01:28 PM, said:

Lmao. You are not understanding my post in response to yours. Since you did not understand it, NERF THE IS LIGHTS.

All you're confirming is that you're playing Clan Lights wrong. IS Lights are fine.

#20 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 30 August 2014 - 01:36 PM

View Postlockwoodx, on 30 August 2014 - 01:32 PM, said:

Nope, even [/img*] is broken ;)

Capitals might be needed. I'll go ahead and test:

Without Caps:
Posted Image

With caps:
Posted Image

Remember to remove that asterisk...since both seem to work. Just remove both asterisks.

Edited by Mcgral18, 30 August 2014 - 01:37 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users