So, Where Is The Extra Premium Time For Not Patching The Servers Properly?

11 replies to this topic

#1 A banana in the tailpipe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,696 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 30 August 2014 - 06:24 PM

We lost a good 4 hours between hiccups and restarts. I can't help but feel PGI thinks they can get away with a simply apology simply because they "supposedly" fixed a few bugs.

News flash! People are still disconnecting, complaining of desyncs, and my ping got worse after the patch. The thing about premium time is it makes the game tolerable.... barely. I know as soon as it turns off I won't want to bother logging in compared to what the grind truly is.

There's a major national holiday coming up and with that time off, it would be nice to have a reason to log in. Clan Wars sure isn't it. The sale full of the same old stale mechs sure isn't it. More premium time would go a long way towards keeping active participants.

That's my 2 cents for the evening. I'm off to go enjoy some real games that are enjoyable once paid for on Steam. Since I've invested more than a few AAA games worth into MWO, it's pretty sad it doesn't even feel like a real finished game.

#2 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 30 August 2014 - 06:44 PM

I would be very happy as I actually have Monday off! ;)

#3 Major Derps

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:54 PM

View Postlockwoodx, on 30 August 2014 - 06:24 PM, said:

We lost a good 4 hours between hiccups and restarts. I can't help but feel PGI thinks they can get away with a simply apology simply because they "supposedly" fixed a few bugs.

News flash! People are still disconnecting, complaining of desyncs, and my ping got worse after the patch. The thing about premium time is it makes the game tolerable.... barely. I know as soon as it turns off I won't want to bother logging in compared to what the grind truly is.

There's a major national holiday coming up and with that time off, it would be nice to have a reason to log in. Clan Wars sure isn't it. The sale full of the same old stale mechs sure isn't it. More premium time would go a long way towards keeping active participants.

That's my 2 cents for the evening. I'm off to go enjoy some real games that are enjoyable once paid for on Steam. Since I've invested more than a few AAA games worth into MWO, it's pretty sad it doesn't even feel like a real finished game.
I've actually been contemplating hitting PGI up for a refund on my remaining premium time , which I can't use due to the problems I'm having with connection due to the last patch. Ping here in Aus has skyrocketed by over 100m/s. I'm now struggling to play due to the endless desynchronisation, rubber banding, and non existent hit reg.

#4 and zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Forbidden
  • The Forbidden
  • 460 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:24 PM

Yeah, I love how PGI gives a week of free premium time for the challenge, and then makes the game unplayable for like 3 days (depending on your time zone) of it. First the patch, then the hotfix to fix their patch, then over a day of server downtime..

#5 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:26 PM

View Postand zero, on 30 August 2014 - 09:24 PM, said:

Yeah, I love how PGI gives a week of free premium time for the challenge, and then makes the game unplayable for like 3 days (depending on your time zone) of it. First the patch, then the hotfix to fix their patch, then over a day of server downtime..

Too be fair though, I don't think PGI ordered the server move... as it's most likely IGP's call and they (IGP) reside in Montreal...

#6 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:31 PM

PGI is giving everybody an extra day of their premium time...if I understood the tweet correctly.

#7 and zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Forbidden
  • The Forbidden
  • 460 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:33 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 30 August 2014 - 10:26 PM, said:

Too be fair though, I don't think PGI ordered the server move... as it's most likely IGP's call and they (IGP) reside in Montreal...

Oh? Well, even if that is true, you would expect a publisher to coordinate better with the dev studio, vice versa.... Im also still suspicious that PGI is IGP...

#8 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:39 PM

View Postand zero, on 30 August 2014 - 10:33 PM, said:

Oh? Well, even if that is true, you would expect a publisher to coordinate better with the dev studio, vice versa.... Im also still suspicious that PGI is IGP...

PGI was IGP once upon a time, but things changed, and IGP does control a bit more.

For instance, MW Tactics (a game that's technically going nowhere with ongoing Founders packs) was affected more by the move... needing 72 hours (3 days) to put a statement out (which should be like tomorrow or Tuesday Monday - if they even bother with Labor Day).

Edited by Deathlike, 30 August 2014 - 10:40 PM.

#9 A banana in the tailpipe

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:09 PM

I know this thread prolly belongs in "the daily whine" but hell... asking never hurts. Extending premium time to all players through the holiday monday would be an incredible act of good will on PGI's part, and they need all the postive PR they can get.

#10 -Natural Selection-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,631 posts
  • Locationdirty south

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:24 PM

There was 7 days premium given for free as a reward, plus another 24 hours for the hassle. (the public servers wasn't even down full 24 hours, so more bonus)

tldr; its was all free.. btw, they gave it up for free.. Ohh, did I mention you got if for free?

#11 A banana in the tailpipe

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:32 PM

View PostMickey Knoxx, on 31 August 2014 - 01:24 PM, said:

There was 7 days premium given for free as a reward, plus another 24 hours for the hassle. (the public servers wasn't even down full 24 hours, so more bonus)

tldr; its was all free.. btw, they gave it up for free.. Ohh, did I mention you got if for free?

Ohh, did I mention my time isn't free? Believe it or not F2P games have to compete over the player's time, because there usually isn't enough incentive to otherwise invest in over a game with higher production value, content, and service/support. That's why these bonuses are so important, because they raise the level of quality up to worthy levels of time investment. That's also why they charge for it, because the whole purpose is to make the "free" part of the game just miserable enough players will be willing to "pay" for a typical experience you get with normal polished titles.

Like I said, it doesn't hurt to ask them to prolong the agony just a little bit longer before it goes back to the sewer. Russ himself even mentioned participation levels for the last challenge were higher than they've been in MONTHS. Not days, not since "last weekend", not weeks, but MONTHS. I'm willing to put money on the premium time being the reason, because this game has gated and grinded their user base to the point they've left for greener pastures, and it's that premium time value in which casual fresh blood is willing to tolerate this mess.

Closing statement: The event last week proved that MWO's business model and grind factor do not work and you've bleed your community dry. Time to change "premium" values to the norm, and work on new incentives PGI.

Edited by lockwoodx, 31 August 2014 - 01:40 PM.

#12 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:51 PM

View PostMickey Knoxx, on 31 August 2014 - 01:24 PM, said:

Except that the game has been and still is unplayable for many between lag, desyncs, and high pings some of us can't play.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users