Lrms Are The Best.

68 replies to this topic

#1 151st Light Horse Regiment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 388 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:27 AM

I've done nothing but moan and cry and whine about LRMs since forever.

So i decided to join the revolution.

Spent some big c-bills on getting a stalker, loaded it up with LRM40+Artemis and 1400+ missiles. Stuck on some lasers just in case.

It's a bad round if i do less than 500 dmg now. Anything 650+ is average. I'm getting loads more kills with hardly any effort. Unless i'm on a terrible team, i just sit behind a hill or something and lob these beauties over and over while i stroke my neckbeard.

Tbh, i hardly have to move, and most of the damage im taking is from overheats.

Still, it's not perfect, it struggles if it gets swarmed but i've just unlocked the elite tree of skills too which make things even easier.

I don't think i'll go back to energy or ballistics again.

Edited by 151st Light Horse Regiment, 31 August 2014 - 11:38 AM.

#2 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:29 AM

Depending on your ELO, results may vary :P

#3 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:34 AM

A few things to note:
  • I hope you have TAG.
  • Artemis does nothing but cut lock on time unless you have LoS.

Edited by Mcgral18, 31 August 2014 - 11:34 AM.

#4 151st Light Horse Regiment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 388 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:35 AM

I don't bother with Tag. Is it really that necessary? There's always someone else on the team who will do it and use Narc as well. I don't like tag because it means i have to expose myself from my hiding spot, and im not very good with it anyway.

#5 Mcgral18

• 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:38 AM

View Post151st Light Horse Regiment, on 31 August 2014 - 11:35 AM, said:

I don't bother with Tag. Is it really that necessary? There's always someone else on the team who will do it and use Narc as well. I don't like tag because it means i have to expose myself from my hiding spot, and im not very good with it anyway.

Yep, if they have Magic Jesus Box you've just wasted 20 tons of pod space.

It also kills them more efficiently, and stacks with Artemis (which you've nearly wasted 2 tons on when you don't have LoS.)

Though I assume this is also another troll thread, but I'll try to contribute regardless.

#6 Belorion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:45 AM

ymmv...

I do not often die from LRM fire. If you are up against a team that knows what they are doing LRM efficiency goes way down. In the pug world? Maybe. I don't really care, but for teams LRMs are an uncertain bet.

#7 151st Light Horse Regiment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 388 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:45 AM

View PostMcgral18, on 31 August 2014 - 11:38 AM, said:

Yep, if they have Magic Jesus Box you've just wasted 20 tons of pod space.

It also kills them more efficiently, and stacks with Artemis (which you've nearly wasted 2 tons on when you don't have LoS.)

Though I assume this is also another troll thread, but I'll try to contribute regardless.

Genuine, not trolling.

Without artemis, locks are taking a lot longer to get. So why is it pointless?

#8 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:46 AM

View Post151st Light Horse Regiment, on 31 August 2014 - 11:45 AM, said:

Genuine, not trolling.

You'll get locks faster, but you don't actually get the bonus to the missiles unless you have direct LOS to your target.

#9 Mcgral18

• 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:48 AM

View Post151st Light Horse Regiment, on 31 August 2014 - 11:45 AM, said:

Genuine, not trolling.

It also makes it tighten the spread, and I believe fly at a different angle (not sure about this one anymore. On release, it caused nearly 90 degree divebombs)

If you don't have LoS the only benefit you get is the 50% decrease. Another thing to note about LRMs, multiple smaller launchers are more effective than a few larger ones. You save tonnage (which you lose on Artemis) but you get faster recycles and tighter spread.

#10 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:49 AM

Yep, LRMs are OP now. I too have swung over to the other side a bit and now sport two Mechs with LRMs. One is a BLR-1S boat while the other is just a twin 10+Art. TDR. It's amazing how easy it is to score kills and damage with practically no effort. I always feel dirty when I run those Mechs.

I'll never totally convert - I love my brawlers far too much and can never turn my back on my HBKs and CN9s. Still, given the incredible effectiveness of LRMs now, I have to keep a couple such Mechs in the garage.

What are general thoughts of the community on NARC for LRM boats? I've found it to be fairly useless - it's better for me to use TAG and leave the Narc launchers to the faster Lights and Mediums. Anyone run them anyways?

As someone new to LRMs, how exactly does Artemis work? I thought it was supposed to decrease missile spread in addition to cutting down on lock times. Is that right?

#11 Henree

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 501 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:23 PM

I pilot an A1 catapult

#12 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:34 PM

View Post151st Light Horse Regiment, on 31 August 2014 - 11:27 AM, said:

I've done nothing but moan and cry and whine about LRMs since forever.

So i decided to join the revolution.

Spent some big c-bills on getting a stalker, loaded it up with LRM40+Artemis and 1400+ missiles. Stuck on some lasers just in case.

It's a bad round if i do less than 500 dmg now. Anything 650+ is average. I'm getting loads more kills with hardly any effort. Unless i'm on a terrible team, i just sit behind a hill or something and lob these beauties over and over while i stroke my neckbeard.

Tbh, i hardly have to move, and most of the damage im taking is from overheats.

Still, it's not perfect, it struggles if it gets swarmed but i've just unlocked the elite tree of skills too which make things even easier.

I don't think i'll go back to energy or ballistics again.

So what you are saying is you found your Niche. Good for you.

#13 COOL HANDS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 158 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee Wisconsin

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:40 PM

Really OP?

Posted Image

#14 YueFei

• 2,184 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:44 PM

Any Quarterback can look godlike if the other team has no pass rush, or your linemen are hulking NFL players blocking against a bunch of high school kids. Put a loser like me in the pocket and let me sit there for 15 seconds, and even I'll eventually be able to find an open receiver.

#15 A banana in the tailpipe

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,696 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:53 PM

I joined the dark side for the last event piloting a KTO-18(C) almost exclusively and it was total EZ mode. 900pt matches were not uncommon and I have newfound respect for those who absolutely hate LRMs because in the right hands they determine matches more than clan imbalance does.

Edit: On a side note after having ground my way to Radar Derp and Shock Absorbers for my lights, I'd actually wish I had taken the shock absorbers first because fall damage for lights is even more BS than LRMs.

View PostRoughneck45, on 31 August 2014 - 11:46 AM, said:

You'll get locks faster, but you don't actually get the bonus to the missiles unless you have direct LOS to your target.

Actually there's also a "bug/goddamnitPGI" where if you're taging/narced a target who's desyncing in and out you won't get the bonus. It made piloting my lights very frustrating last week when trying to rack up extra bills during the free premium time.

Edited by lockwoodx, 31 August 2014 - 12:55 PM.

#16 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:55 PM

I took a lot of damage from LRM's today. I knew where the firing mech was but couldn't get to him as he was in the middle of his team.
I was very surprised and i assume i was NARC'd but nobody told me, but it was nice to see LRM's doing some damage to me for a change :)

#17 Grey Ghost

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 661 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:58 PM

I've never personally found it very helpful to my team to just spam LRM's from behind a hill. Sure I can end up with higher damage numbers, but that just seems to be spread out all over the place. Plus it is super boring. I mostly reserve my indirect fire for targets that are NARC'd / tagged or on deaths doorstep.

I prefer to use Artemis with Line of Sight, and carry my own TAG as well as an ERLL. My damage is much more focused that way. The greater the risk, the greater the reward. Not boring, but not my favorite play-style either. I only dedicate one of my Mechs to Mid-Front line LRM Support.

#18 A banana in the tailpipe

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:00 PM

View PostWolfways, on 31 August 2014 - 12:55 PM, said:

I was very surprised and i assume i was NARC'd but nobody told me, but it was nice to see LRM's doing some damage to me for a change :)

Congrats on leaving your fantasy land where LRMs don't exist and actually finding out they sting today.

#19 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:01 PM

View Postlockwoodx, on 31 August 2014 - 01:00 PM, said:

Congrats on leaving your fantasy land where LRMs don't exist and actually finding out they sting today.

If all they do is sting... They are still UP. :lol:

#20 A banana in the tailpipe

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:03 PM

View PostGrey Ghost, on 31 August 2014 - 12:58 PM, said:

I've never personally found it very helpful to my team to just spam LRM's from behind a hill.

I prefer they stay behind the hill because that tempts lights out to go pick on them, for which I can promptly pull a u-turn, narc the light, and /laugh as they fight in the shade. As for spammers, I tell my pugs straight up to save your lrms for narc targets and FOR GOD SAKE FOCUS ONE AT A TIME PLEASE. (they don't listen anyways)

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 31 August 2014 - 01:01 PM, said:

If all they do is sting... They are still UP. :lol:

Well I feel they sting because while going 171kph everything stings but an AC/20. My greatest enemy is fall damage. I can't even brawl on top of the hill in Alpine because the slight bumps cause fall damage. It's pretty BS LOL.

Edited by lockwoodx, 31 August 2014 - 01:05 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users