Doesn't Anyone Play Games For The Challenge?

63 replies to this topic

#1 DjPush

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:46 AM

I have been seeing a lot of posts about nerfing clan mechs. Why would they nerf them? I thought clan mechs were supposed to be more powerful? I thought this was going to bring an element to the game that would provide a new challenge to old players. I dont know about the rest of you but I was getting real sick of the same old garbage. After two years of play in IS v IS mechs I was eager to welcome the possibility of a new challenge. That is what I see in clan mechs. I have 4 clan mechs and I am already bored with them. Killing and getting high damage scores is easy mode in a clan mech if you ask me. I want a challange when I play a game. I get in my Hunchback or Cataphract and it seems like a new game. So much satisfaction is had to go screaming past a Dire Wolf with 6 UAC5 as he misses nearly every shot because his slow turning speed cant keep up. All the while you are pelting his side torsos with lasers and autocannon. Give the players some time to adjust before you go making these mechs like every other mech in the game. Stop nerfing things! You will just end up removing any sport in the game.

#2 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:51 AM

View PostDjPush, on 31 August 2014 - 11:46 AM, said:

I have been seeing a lot of posts about nerfing clan mechs. Why would they nerf them? I thought clan mechs were supposed to be more powerful? I thought this was going to bring an element to the game that would provide a new challenge to old players. I dont know about the rest of you but I was getting real sick of the same old garbage. After two years of play in IS v IS mechs I was eager to welcome the possibility of a new challenge. That is what I see in clan mechs. I have 4 clan mechs and I am already bored with them. Killing and getting high damage scores is easy mode in a clan mech if you ask me. I want a challange when I play a game. I get in my Hunchback or Cataphract and it seems like a new game. So much satisfaction is had to go screaming past a Dire Wolf with 6 UAC5 as he misses nearly every shot because his slow turning speed cant keep up. All the while you are pelting his side torsos with lasers and autocannon. Give the players some time to adjust before you go making these mechs like every other mech in the game. Stop nerfing things! You will just end up removing any sport in the game.

Thanks a lot dude. I was relying on you to play Clan mechs to provide a challenge to old players, then you stopped playing them because you were bored of doing so well. You had one job to do DjPush and you mucked it up!

#3 Nathan Foxbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:56 AM

You want a challenge in Clan Omnis? Perhaps you could try playing them stock.

#4 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:58 AM

DJ I Chose Lyran Alliance cause I wanted to be front line for the Clan Invasion, to see how it would play out as the underdog. So I am the droid you are looking for!

#5 Tezcatli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:03 PM

They said they would be balanced. Otherwise they're just selling overpowered units while those of us who don't want to play at a disadvantage have to get cheated.

If you want the whole "Superior Clans" experience. Just run your IS mechs in stock against Clans. Get some friends and do a private match. 12 stock IS versus 5 Clan mechs. ;p

#6 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:50 PM

View PostTezcatli, on 31 August 2014 - 12:03 PM, said:

They said they would be balanced. Otherwise they're just selling overpowered units while those of us who don't want to play at a disadvantage have to get cheated.

If you want the whole "Superior Clans" experience. Just run your IS mechs in stock against Clans. Get some friends and do a private match. 12 stock IS versus 5 Clan mechs. ;p

I want the Superior Clans experience in the Game I was "sold" Which isn't a no gain no lose private match. I wanna have the Clan Invasion not a Kurita raid.

Not that fighting snakes wouldn't be fun. But it would be a different game.

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 31 August 2014 - 12:50 PM.

#7 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:55 PM

View PostDjPush, on 31 August 2014 - 11:46 AM, said:

getting in a hunchback or cataphract and getting ***** by a God mode timberwolf or stormcrown ISN'T fun lol.

Let me hear you say this if you plan to play competitive and drop against a team of 12 clan mechs are you're piloting that fragile Cataphract that dies in 1-2secs....

#8 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:05 PM

View PostE N E R G Y, on 31 August 2014 - 01:55 PM, said:

getting in a hunchback or cataphract and getting ***** by a God mode timberwolf or stormcrown ISN'T fun lol.

Let me hear you say this if you plan to play competitive and drop against a team of 12 clan mechs are you're piloting that fragile Cataphract that dies in 1-2secs....

I'm piloting a Battlemaster or an Atlas. Cause those are the Mechs I like. Until a Thunder Hawk gets released.

#9 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:07 PM

In short op, no they do not. That started to become painfully apparent shortly after ob

#10 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:09 PM

I was seeing that in CB Sand. :(

#11 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:10 PM

The only challenge these days is hoping the other group or PUGs decides to follow your lead and do the right thing instead of doing stuff on their own and getting the team crushed ultimately.

Since there are no real goals at the moment (IOW no CW, unit affiliations is NOT CW), I mean... it's only about collecting more C-bills for the next big thing... if you even care about it.

#12 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 31 August 2014 - 11:58 AM, said:

DJ I Chose Lyran Alliance cause I wanted to be front line for the Clan Invasion, to see how it would play out as the underdog. So I am the droid you are looking for!

Blasphemer, if you REALLY wanted to be front line you should have chosen the FRR ;).

#13 Tristan Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

A challenge is only fun if you believe it is possible to do it. In this game, you will regularly see very good players get smashed because they end up on the wrong side of matchmaker's plans. Sure, they will get top score on their team, but they'll die none the less. It won't feel like a victory to most people, because it's not a victory.

Sometimes you take some satisfaction in getting 300+ damage and 2 kills with a Locust. But if everyone wanted a really tough challenge, the Locust would be the most popular mech in the game. People play it for a little while, then they get bored of the "challenge" when they're sick of getting smashed.

People like to win. It's a simple fact PGI seems to forget.

EDIT: I'm speaking in generalities. If you want to reply to say "Don't speak on my behalf, I love running my 6xFlamer Locust against clan mechs and I do 1000 dmg per match", there's really no need.

Edited by Nicolai Kabrinsky, 31 August 2014 - 02:12 PM.

#14 Tor6

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:13 PM

People don't generally play competitive games to fight random people with significantly better gear than them, no. Especially when you have a crappy matchmaker that might very well throw you into a game with eleven completely braindead teammates and expect you to carry. That's stupid.

#15 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:19 PM

View PostSephlock, on 31 August 2014 - 02:10 PM, said:

Blasphemer, if you REALLY wanted to be front line you should have chosen the FRR ;).

I thought about it. But the Lyrans have the mechs I like coming in the future. The Ghost Bears were/are a worthy opponent and I like their style too!

#16 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:21 PM

View PostSephlock, on 31 August 2014 - 02:10 PM, said:

Speaking of the FRR, they will be the last to get the sale...

Late to the party I suppose (and dead before any other faction cares?)

#17 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:23 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 31 August 2014 - 02:21 PM, said:

Don't worry, they shall live on!

Posted Image

#18 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:24 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 31 August 2014 - 02:21 PM, said:

Dead? The Ghost Bears came to them and Joined THEM. The second easiest Merger in Canon! And have you ever seen what just ONE Leviathan-class Warship can do??? and there will be 3 of them!!!

#19 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:26 PM

View PostSephlock, on 31 August 2014 - 02:23 PM, said:

Don't worry, they shall live on!

Posted Image

Still shameful.

I enjoy the Steiner-Davion marriage than this... abomination.

#20 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:35 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 31 August 2014 - 02:26 PM, said:

Still shameful.

I enjoy the Steiner-Davion marriage than this... abomination.

That did leave Cake on the Chancellors' face didn't it?!?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users