Is Anyone Else A Little Discontent With Cbill Rewards?

71 replies to this topic

#61 Torgun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:22 AM

It's a silly grind to make CBills and PGI designed it to be that way. As others already mentioned it doesn't feel reasonable until you have at least Premium time ticking and better yet while running a Hero mech. There's just one thing they miscalculated, and that's a too heavy grind will make people lose interest and stop playing just as much as they're willing to pay. Honestly I think a lot more will stop playing instead of paying. It's the number one reason anyone I've told about this game stopped playing shortly after trying it out. The whole 3 variants needed to master a single chassi is ridiculous considering the current CBill payouts and only the most die-hard fans will be willing to stick around. Personally I just play a few matches a week, get reminded of how terribly grindy the game is and go to play something more rewarding. And I think I'm certainly not alone.

#62 WarHippy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:23 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 02 September 2014 - 02:53 AM, said:

I guess it depends on what you are playing the game for.

It's not PokeMech. You do not have to grind them all.

I have played the game for the majority of 3 years in an Atlas. I am now in my second of 3 Battlemasters.

My Davion Alt has a Jager40(mastererd) and a Stalker(Elite), a Centurion(Basic) and a Spider(grinding)

My Kurita Alt has a Catapult(elite) and a Shadowhawk(basic).

Yes, but you are a bit of an odd duck. Very few have dedicated accounts with a handful of mechs just for their chosen faction like you do. A lot of the enjoyment for some people in MechWarrior is trying out new mechs and builds, which does become problematic if the funds are not flowing in at a rate that allows them to do so. Personally, I think the income rate should go back to where it was before the introduction of 12v12 because it felt a lot better then than it does now.

#63 Killstorm999999

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:26 AM

What bothers me most about the CBill reward is that its a constant. No matter what you do, you cannot earn more then 100-200k per match ( if your really good ). You can be the best mech pilot in the galaxy, leading the most successfull band of mercs, but still you only make 100-200k per match.

This is in contrast to other mechwarrior games where as you progressed, your earning power also increased. It really allowed you to feel like you were making progress/becomming more renowned.

In MWO, I feel like I just have a flat salary with no possibility of a raise. Very not fun.

#64 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:28 AM

View PostWarHippy, on 02 September 2014 - 10:23 AM, said:

Yes, but you are a bit of an odd duck.

Posted Image
I have no idea what you mean!

#65 ArchMage Sparrowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:29 AM

View PostAntiCitizenJuan, on 01 September 2014 - 02:50 PM, said:

What is with this absolutely pathetic CBill gains?
I guess I didnt notice until recently, now that I'm saving up for my last Banshee.

This is agony. Why is this such a grind? Its even worse than it used to be.
Isn't it about time for a small boost in CBill gains? Especially since we have CBill Clan variants coming out every month?

yeh it's pretty crap, but what are yeh gonna do? They want you to pay, and if you no pay you grind, thats what they think F2P means, and good luck convincing them otherwise, eh?

#66 Killstorm999999

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:34 AM

One thing that appealed to me about past mechwarrior games is your ability to earn Cbills, build a small fortune, and buy increasingly potent mechs. With MWO online as it stands, your only real choice is to pay for them. I certainly dont mind paying, but thats not what mechwarrior is all about. If I just buy a mech, I don't feel like I earned it. This leaves two other options, 1) grind them or 2) play past mechwarrior games and poke my head in every once in a while to see whats new with MWO. I am going for number 2.

If mechs were easier to earn, I might be more tempted to actually grind them, and then I would be spending more on premium time and I would probably just end up buying a mech for the hell of it now and again.

#67 Ph30nix

• 2,442 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:36 AM

View PostRoland, on 02 September 2014 - 09:46 AM, said:

Err.. no, this is not true.
We earned FAR more money back in closed and open beta. Like, way, way, way more.

didnt people have ways to earn like MILLIONS a match by getting tons of assists/tags/narcs etc etc?

#68 Almond Brown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:37 AM

View PostKrazedOmega, on 01 September 2014 - 04:07 PM, said:

Yeah, if you spent all weekend sitting at your computer grinding out 50 wins. A lot of people don't have time for that.

Yup, thus these cries for Free or Super cheap stuff in a F2P game. No one wants to actually play games anymore. All they really want is a Free ride to the top of the Pyramid, so they might smite thy Noobs without any real time nor effort required. ;)

#69 Killstorm999999

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:42 AM

View PostAlmond Brown, on 02 September 2014 - 10:37 AM, said:

Yup, thus these cries for Free or Super cheap stuff in a F2P game. No one wants to actually play games anymore. All they really want is a Free ride to the top of the Pyramid, so they might smite thy Noobs without any real time nor effort required. ;)

The issue is not that people don't want to play, the issue is that MWO is really not a game that can be played ( for any length of time ). We have three games modes that are very similar, and a handfull of maps. If there was more variety I am sure people would be happier spending hours on end playing it to grind out mechs.

#70 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:51 AM

View PostRoland, on 02 September 2014 - 09:32 AM, said:

While I'd like to make more money, this is actually one area where PGI is legitimately within the realm of acceptable game design.

It's actually ok to make the game grindy, if you aren't paying money. That's an acceptable mechanism for implementing a F2P game.

This is much better than clearly P2W things like requiring you to pay money to drive certain mechs.

I agree with you in concept. This is how a F2P game works.

I just don't think that PGI has done a very good job of balancing the grind. They've made it so that even if you're paying them it's still a major grind. You have to pay them twice for it to really reach reasonable levels.

I don't even think it would be that hard to fix. They claim that average earnings per match (without any bonuses) is 79k. I think that should be closer to 100k, which they could do by either just increasing the base or by increasing the sizes of various rewards. The suggestion to increase salvage was a good one, as that rewards good play.

Or if they don't want to muck with the base values, simply boost the pay rewards. Increase the reward for Premium time to 100%. There, done. PGI gets a reliable income stream, players get to "opt out" of the grind, and the overall economy doesn't change all that much. (6 million c-bill modules virtually guarantee that the grind will never go away.)

#71 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:24 AM

They've made it so that even if you're paying them it's still a major grind.

Well ive always said premium should be +75% instead of +50%.

Premium should also let you use any colors/patterns you want as long as your premium is paid.

Lastly you should get consumables at a discounted price if youre premium.

#72 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:24 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 02 September 2014 - 10:28 AM, said:

Posted Image
I have no idea what you mean!

WAUGH! Good one, Howard.

1 user(s) are reading this topic