#21 Almond Brown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:54 AM

View Postnehebkau, on 02 September 2014 - 08:53 AM, said:

Nope, solo play only.

And your not big on pressing the "R" key either...right? ;)

#22 TLBFestus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:58 AM

View PostWolfways, on 02 September 2014 - 04:54 AM, said:

Real Mechwarriors pilot stock mechs B)

I'd love to do this, BUT since it's very time consuming to re-equip my mechs back to stock, I can't be bothered.

Would sure be nice if PGI decided that IF you bought 3 or more variants of a particular mech, you had access to the stock (un-modifiable) variant at anytime.

#23 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:02 AM

View Postnehebkau, on 02 September 2014 - 08:53 AM, said:

Nope, solo play only.

Thats sad. :(

#24 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:05 AM

There are a lot of players who try to get long/medium/short range weapons all on the same mech. "Jack of all trades" as you said. Some are rather good at it and some are a bit blind as to how it actually works without any benefits for them as a pilot 'cause they can't function at all ranges.

Trying to hit a moving target with an ac2/ppc from 750m out and failing.
Trying to engage the enemy at 270m with streaks and srms only to see their missiles slam into the sides of buildings.
Lobbing LRMs at a tagged target from 500m~900m away only to realize you're not going to hit them 'cause they're under cover by obstructions even though the one using a tag laser has a clear view.

Me? I go with what I know I can use to be effective in the field. Not what others say should be equipped to the mechs I pilot. Nothing wrong with experimenting with given builds suggested by other players but at the same time.. what works for one player could mean near instant death for another.

#25 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:09 AM

Or a function to save certain builds of the same mech chasis so instead of manually taking everything off to change out what you want and/or don't need.. with one quick click of a button.. everything gets changed from one saved build to another? Sounds convenient. Might happen but then again that's all it is.. a convenience. Throw it into the suggestion box and see what happens. Sounds good to me as well.

View PostTLBFestus, on 02 September 2014 - 08:58 AM, said:

Would sure be nice if PGI decided that IF you bought 3 or more variants of a particular mech, you had access to the stock (un-modifiable) variant at anytime.

#26 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:19 AM

I haven't been able to see my stats since the change over

the fire rate of the AC5 and AC2 have been nerfed my AC2 fires like the AC5 did when I started in June

I want to hear about the six Mechs I spend most of my time chasing the next un-nerfed combo

#27 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:25 AM

View PostHeffay, on 02 September 2014 - 08:54 AM, said:

It's posts like this that make me wish that stats were publicly available.

I REALLY wish stats would be public. It'd quell a lot of braggarts and would put a lot of things in perspective.

1. Braggarts wouldn't be able to lie or exaggerate about their stats.
2. Skilled players wouldn't need to brag about their good stats because they are public.
3. Players would be able to gauge whether or not another player's advice was credible or relevant.
4. Players would be able to see how frequently they are matched with players of similar skill level.
5. It would solve a lot of disputes rather quickly (leaving only inane arguments like "stats don't represent skill' and other baseless arguments that are easily ignored).

Like I've always said, I'm not ashamed of my small e-peen. B)

#28 FDJustin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:41 AM

The reasons I boat are as follows:
1. I pilot a firestarter. Pure energy hardpoints.
2. Low tonnage. It's difficult to equip an effective mix range approach.
3. Uneven number of weapon slots in my chosen variant's arms. Since I like having the option of shimmying close to cover and only having a firing arm exposed, this really bugs me.
4. I have three mouse buttons with which to use to either: Dedicate an arm to fire with, set an alpha button, and separate by weapon or range.
5. MG's, TAG, and Flamer all interfere with my chainfire. If I'm holding them down, they all act funny, so I opt not to use them and sold the variant capable of MG's. (Although I kinda wish I didn't, as AC/2's are fun, and might have been viable once I finally get an XL for it.)
6. It's wasteful to mix weapon types beyond one or two. It's much more efficient to either equip more ammo for one type of missile or ballistic, or equip more of the same ballistics than to try and field more variety. Lasers make a much better backup or filler than more variety in that respect.

I actually like mixed ranges to a degree, there are benefits to it. They're just hard to setup to use effectively, since it's more to manage and you lose some efficiency the more you compromise.

#29 Xarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • 997 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:48 AM

Ballistics and IS LRMs have such a huge tonnage overhead that you are stuck boating them/using lots of ammo or not using them at all. It's kinda unfortunate. Clan LRMs can be slapped on pretty much any mech without killing your whole build, just like lasers, SRMs, and machineguns.

#30 Rando Slim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 459 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:53 AM

its cause you can fight at close with sniper weapons almost as effectively as at their intended range.

#31 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:59 AM

View PostTLBFestus, on 02 September 2014 - 08:58 AM, said:

I'd love to do this, BUT since it's very time consuming to re-equip my mechs back to stock, I can't be bothered.

Re-equip?
I don't mean in Stock Mondays or whatever, i play stock in the normal solo PUG queue.

#32 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:20 AM

you mean stock weapons right not stock load-out

what mech are we talking about Cat?

#33 Ph30nix

• 2,442 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:47 AM

See here is the thing, if you took 2 equally skilled teams, both with some voice coms and both working together fairly well.

I honestly think the well rounded team would have the advantage and be far more likely to win then the team of multiple specialized mechs. Just because they could ALL focus fire an enemy in sight at all ranges instead of only a few teammates being able to hit each range.
Also if say everyone had an LRM then any SOB that was trying to close the distance and someone had a lock would be lit up pretty F'ing fast.

That said in the current Pug matches where you have to carry hard or lose then you have to specialize and then do everything you can to make sure you are always in your Spec zone so you have the advantage.

Basically if we had a true teamwork based game with Real defined role warfare then a group of diverse builds would Trump boats every single time.

#34 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:04 PM

View PostDavegt27, on 02 September 2014 - 10:20 AM, said:

you mean stock weapons right not stock load-out

what mech are we talking about Cat?

If you mean me, i used stock weapons for IS mechs and fit Endo and extra ammo/DHS (because SHS suck and PGI didn't increase the ammo/ton when they translated TT to MWO), but for clan mechs I'm forced to use them completely stock as i can't modify the structure (even though it means ammo-based weapons are screwed).

#35 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:24 PM

God, I hope not. Then even less people would listen to my rants.

I would cheerfully accept stats being absent for everyone though.

#36 Ph30nix

• 2,442 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:37 PM

View PostTLBFestus, on 02 September 2014 - 12:24 PM, said:

God, I hope not. Then even less people would listen to my rants.

I would cheerfully accept stats being absent for everyone though.

remove damage tracking and Kill tracking, leave assist tracking along with a tac/narc/uav tracker
watch Epeens shrivel like they went for a swim on pluto.

#37 ApolloKaras

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:41 PM

They need to make this an option in private matches. I don't think they have enough people to make it a pug queue, but I can't imagine it would be too difficult. I want to make it easier for some people to get in on stock mech Mondays.

#38 Xmith

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,099 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:06 PM

The real Mechwarrior can pilot anything, anytime and anywhere.

#39 Mazikar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 400 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:30 PM

I would honestly love to see stats on mech builds, pretty sure the ones I fall back on to break a losing streak or get quick cash would be on the top of the charts.

#40 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:27 PM

View PostXmith, on 02 September 2014 - 03:06 PM, said:

The real Mechwarrior can pilot anything, anytime and anywhere.

No he can't. He only has one mech :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users