41 replies to this topic

#21 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:28 AM

View Postcdlord, on 02 September 2014 - 10:20 AM, said:

I am no troll sir. I was making a prediction and some people have already pointed out counters to it so until you came in, it was a successful discussion.

The owner of the IP decides what is canon. So all those star wars novels that didn't reflect specifically what happened in the 3 then 6 movies is all non-canon. Disney gets to decide what comes next.

"Also the OP may like lore but no game of any sort has the battles and strategy map predetermined"
Except MWO where the official timeline has already bypassed the time period of the game. As some state, this can be an alternate universe or as I state, we fight, but our fights mean nothing in the grande scheme.

I provided evidence to support my prediction and you call me a troll. I ask, Who is the real troll here?

All I see here is you trolling a simple question. :)

The part about a predetermined star map and in game time line would completely defeat the purpose of having any faction wars at all. So yes i consider it trolling.

Edited by Johnny Z, 02 September 2014 - 10:29 AM.

#22 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:44 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 02 September 2014 - 10:15 AM, said:

I have a question. Who is to say what is canon and what isnt? Seriously.

The IP creators. Who said this isn't canon. That's who. ;)

FYI:
All the EU for Star Wars has also been officially declared non-canon.

#23 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:58 AM

View PostSandpit, on 02 September 2014 - 10:01 AM, said:

Can't happen, it's already been "tainted" meaning it's no longer canon. once it's been modified from the original you can't have an exact replication.

Exact replication does not always happen when players use a CBT Scenario pack. The Falcon/Wolf Trial Happened, at my table, the players "Bid Out" Natasha Kerensky so she did not die by Jump Jet! Canon Battle, unexpected outcome for the Canon of My table. ^_^

#24 kuangmk11

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 627 posts
  • LocationW-SEA, Cascadia

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:15 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 02 September 2014 - 10:28 AM, said:

The part about a predetermined star map and in game time line would completely defeat the purpose of having any faction wars at all. So yes i consider it trolling.

I'm petty sure that's how they said it would be in the beginning. All MWO battles would be outlying skirmishes that would have no bearing on documented canon battles/important events

http://mwomercs.com/...dpost__p__54389

Faction Warfare

The Inner Sphere is broken up into several factions, each with their own regions and sub-regions. Each faction is warring with at least one other faction at all times in a universal territory battle. Players can be active or passive participants in this battle by following one of three paths:
  • Pledging Allegiance to a Faction
  • Joining a Mercenary Corporation
  • Remaining Neutral
At its core, the territory battle is a fight for resources – planets. Planets are divided into three types. Each type requires a more active level of participation by the player and as a result earns a greater reward.
  • Core Worlds – Are managed by the dev team. These are worlds that necessary for future planning and part of major historical events.
  • Faction Worlds – Are fought over by Faction players. These planets buffer core and border worlds, and do not play a significant role in major historical events. Rewards for controlling these planets are directly linked to global bonuses and abilities associated with a player’s Faction.
  • Border Worlds – Are fought over via a contract bidding system by player run Mercenary Corporations. These planets change hands on a regular basis, and have no impact on historical events. Rewards for controlling a boarder world are significant and go directly to the occupying Merc Corp.
It’s important to state now, that worlds can change from Border to Faction to Core, or any combination thereof, at any time by the development team. This will be necessary to facilitate dramatic changes in faction territory control as we progress through some tumultuous times within the BattleTech® universe.

Edited by kuangmk11, 02 September 2014 - 11:16 AM.

#25 Odins Fist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:20 AM

View Postcdlord, on 02 September 2014 - 04:43 AM, said:

"This would cause a de-sync with the timeline and lore (something PGI does NOT have creative license over)."

PGI has already abandoned the Timeline once, then rolled it back to suit their needs.

They would do it again (or change what happens) if it suited them.

#26 Theron Branson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 223 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:20 AM

This is posting kind of goes with my question and that is "What will IS players do with these Clan packs?" As a merc unit/IS player can I use clan mechs and what would I d with the medallions for clan factions?

#27 Odins Fist

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:25 AM

View PostTheron Branson, on 02 September 2014 - 11:20 AM, said:

As a merc unit/IS player can I use clan mechs and what would I d with the medallions for clan factions?

In 3058 you can... That's 8 (real) years from now.

#28 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:27 AM

This is posting kind of goes with my question and that is "What will IS players do with these Clan packs?" As a merc unit/IS player can I use clan mechs and what would I d with the medallions for clan factions?

That and what will Marik and Liao pilots do too? I mean, the IS response to the Clan threat was almost universal. There are two realms that didn't border the invasion corridor, Marik and Liao. Marik didn't send troops, but manufactured for the war effort. Liao sat in a corner and didn't dare do anything against anyone lest they be met with an overwhelming response by everyone else.

#29 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:31 AM

View Postcdlord, on 02 September 2014 - 04:43 AM, said:

This would cause a de-sync with the timeline and lore (something PGI does NOT have creative license over).

Not true. PGI has license over how lore plays out to a point given the game's apocryphal nature (In the universe, but not canon). At some point, they're writing lore for their game, and not for the BT Universe. Same with the older MW games. Hence in-house hero mechs with backstory, and made up player units and pilots.

No, I expect some sort of "We'll start mid-invasion, and then allow the story to unfold as told by the players... to a point".

I expect we'll have IS on IS conflicts (because it's the IS, we can't all get along) as well as IS on clan conflicts.

At some point, you have to give players some level of control over the plot if you want CW to be interesting. So you can't railroad the clan push conquest, but you can exist in a strange back and forth stalemate that starting mid-invasion might happen. You could even have some part of the invasion touch IS houses that it didn't touch previously.

#30 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:34 AM

View PostBront, on 02 September 2014 - 11:31 AM, said:

Not true. PGI has license over how lore plays out to a point given the game's apocryphal nature (In the universe, but not canon). At some point, they're writing lore for their game, and not for the BT Universe. Same with the older MW games. Hence in-house hero mechs with backstory, and made up player units and pilots.

No, I expect some sort of "We'll start mid-invasion, and then allow the story to unfold as told by the players... to a point".

I expect we'll have IS on IS conflicts (because it's the IS, we can't all get along) as well as IS on clan conflicts.

At some point, you have to give players some level of control over the plot if you want CW to be interesting. So you can't railroad the clan push conquest, but you can exist in a strange back and forth stalemate that starting mid-invasion might happen. You could even have some part of the invasion touch IS houses that it didn't touch previously.

This is why I was thinking post-Tukayyid. At this point, the various realms go back to battling each other with the addition of the Clans and their infighting. It's quite a dynamic period of time where anything goes.

And when I say Lore, I also reference Canon. For me, they are linked. If PGI goes off the "beaten path" then it will not be Lore as much as it is not Canon. They write their own lore, it'll be a good read, but nothing that can affect the universe post-MWO.

#31 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:10 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 02 September 2014 - 10:58 AM, said:

Exact replication does not always happen when players use a CBT Scenario pack.

you just answered your own questions then ;)

This is not a canon or replica of Btech universe. It's an "alternate universe" version.

#32 Jody Von Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:11 PM

View PostBront, on 02 September 2014 - 11:31 AM, said:

Couldn't agree with this more. It would be mighty boring playing as IS knowing all along, you were going to be on the losing side for years. There has to be some element of surprise and reward for fighting for a particular faction. I could imagine PGI hosting a battle for a certain planet and the winning faction gaining territory and some sort of cockpit trinket for participating.

I for one, can't wait.

#33 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:12 PM

nobody knows since PGI won't tell their customers

#34 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:23 PM

View PostJody Von Jedi, on 02 September 2014 - 12:11 PM, said:

Couldn't agree with this more. It would be mighty boring playing as IS knowing all along, you were going to be on the losing side for years. There has to be some element of surprise and reward for fighting for a particular faction. I could imagine PGI hosting a battle for a certain planet and the winning faction gaining territory and some sort of cockpit trinket for participating.

I for one, can't wait.

I look forward to skimming the news feed on the launcher and maybe in game some time to get an update on the faction wars. They had something similar to this earlier in the game. Not to mention checking the star map out.

Edited by Johnny Z, 02 September 2014 - 12:25 PM.

#35 Deadmeat313

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationPreston - UK

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:11 PM

In my home brew CW campaign - call it "5th Succession War" - I had to cheat a little to get the Clan invasion to be a proper blitzkreig. The Clan players have exactly the same chance to win or lose an individual battle, but they would gain increased "victory points" towards a planet's capture compared with IS pilots.

This represents the incredible focus of the Clans in those early invasion years.

After Tukayyid, they lose their focus and cohesion. They effectively become another bunch of Successor States trying hopelessly to recreate the Star League. They therefore lose their bonus.

I stopped updating the campaign map a while ago as I want to completely revamp the rules - but here's how it looked at the end. Not good for the Draconis Combine.

Posted Image

D313

#36 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:19 PM

Just an aside that deserves pointing out

The "invasion" has already begun according to PGI.

#37 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:39 AM

You can use all those medallions to grind loyalty when you are going for Wolf's Dragoons.

#38 Dark Jackal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 187 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:51 AM

If wishes were fishes it would be nice if certain systems would light up like they do in planetside 2 so you know where the action is at. I have no clue how CW is going to go as everything ends up being a surprise any how regardless of what the intention was beforehand.

The real question is, what will be nerfed next?

:ph34r:

#39 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:58 AM

it will probably end up being te same game as it is now just you have a shiny map and it may or may not be IS vs Clan.

#40 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:05 PM

View PostBigbacon, on 03 September 2014 - 11:58 AM, said:

it will probably end up being te same game as it is now just you have a shiny map and it may or may not be IS vs Clan.

As long as i can still decimate awesome and victors in my T-Wolf

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users