What Should I Buy? Dire Wolf Or Timber Wolf?

20 replies to this topic

#1 Saber Fang

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:00 AM

Hi all I need help on decideing on what clan mech package to buy. The Dire Wolf or the Timber Wolf? To let you all know I love missles, surviveability, and lots of heavy weapons, in that order. What is the best for me? and what are there pro's and con's?

#2 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:08 AM

If it's missiles, then you'd want the T-Wolf.

However, these mechs operate in very different capacities. The T-Wolf is a great striker, and brawler, with good mobility, and a powerful arsenal of weapons to use.

The Direwolf on the other hand is more of a juggernaut and suppression mech. It's the least mobile mech in the game, short of an Atlas without an engine in it.

However, in return for being the slowest, easiest mech to hit and flank, it brings a LOT of pain. You can stuff it full of guns, till the enemy team's lungs explode. The arms on all but one model can't move sideways, and it can have a max of 2 missile hardpoints. While the T-Wolf can go up to 4.

#3 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:17 AM

Do you like going on solo jaunts around the battlefield? For I have found that there's no mech that's easier to kill for a Light than a poor lonesome Direwolf.

#4 OznerpaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 977 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:35 AM

the Direwolf is kind of moderate risk, high reward since it's so slow but it feeds on the stupidity of other players blundering into your sights and getting smoked fast

Timberwolf is low risk, high reward since they are agile, heavily armed, and hard to kill

#5 Ruhkil

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 98 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:56 AM

the Dire Wolf can be fun and very powerful. However you must stay with a teammate at all times. if an enemy light or medium mech finds you while you are alone you cannot torso twist fast enough to bring your weapons to bear. A dire wolf pilot has to be very careful how he chooses to move across a map. for example if you just blunder across open ground enemy lrms will be on you in seconds however if you are smart and go into the various tunnels/enclosed spaces that turn into brawls regardless of what speed of mech is involved the dire wolf shines.

to be honest the timber wolf is much more fun and in some cases more deadly since it can move very fast actually avoid some of the incoming damage by twisting/backing away. After piloting both i feel like i do more damage and stay alive longer in the timber wolf. the only instances where a DW would beat a Twolf is if both of them met face to face in cave or if they decided to stand completely still 1000m from each other and try to kill each other with gauss rifles and PPCS.

in short buy the timber wolf and grind out cbills for the dire

#6 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:57 AM

The Timberwolf is fast and maneuverable (it handles almost like a medium thanks to that huge engine) with reasonable amounts of weapons (including upto 4 missile launchers).

The Dire Wolf is slow and sluggish, it makes most of the trial assaults feel fast and maneuverable but mounts more weapons than any other Mech currently in the game (with about twice the available tonnage the Timber Wolf has for weapons, but cannot mount many missiles).

#7 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:00 PM

T-Wolf seems more similar to the Victor...and i hear rumblings about a Rodney King nerf bat beating coming soon...
It is THE Clan mech to date, many claim.

The D-Whale is the tale of 2 Star Wars. You are the Death Star, you can one shot planets. But it only takes 1-2 lights to kill you.

I would say get the T-Wolf, its likely more forgiving in pilot error, bad situations(pug drops), and more flexible.

D-Whale if you are a seasoned Atlas/Stalker pilot.

#8 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:15 PM

Only buying one a la carte?

Do you plan to buy both chassis eventually? How many C-bills do you have? Dire Wolf will be available for C-bills sooner, letting you buy the DW off the shelf and get the TW for cash up front.

Do you have a preference for which chassis you want/need the C-bill boost (the a la carte/clan pack gives you the Prime as a Prime (Invasion) variant with a c-bill boost and special geometry)

#9 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:35 PM

View PostSaber Fang, on 02 September 2014 - 06:00 AM, said:

Hi all I need help on decideing on what clan mech package to buy. The Dire Wolf or the Timber Wolf? To let you all know I love missles, surviveability, and lots of heavy weapons, in that order. What is the best for me? and what are there pro's and con's?

TW.

#10 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:08 PM

Tw if you want to smile through your first 100 matches. Dw if you want to cry.

#11 IronLichRich

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 118 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:25 AM

I had this decision when I first bought my 2 clan mechs. I now have both TW and DW, but bought the timber first. The timber is insanely fun, mobile, and packs firepower/survivability. It's also really good. You can mount a lot of weapon configurations on this thing as well. It also has up to 4 missile hardpoints as opposed to the dire wolf's max 2. The dire wolf is slow (even with speed tweak, it's awful), but as a fatlas pilot that doesn't bug me. The other thing about the dire wolf is not only does it move and twist slow, it has an awful twist amount. Before elite, and maybe even after (only just got 1 with all 4 elite efficiencies), it's less than 90 degrees I think. In exchange for this, you get to have 50.5 tons of pod space. I second the comments above that the dire wolf has a grind if you don't have gxp to get your efficiencies and the time/patience to learn to drive a slow mech if you haven't already. I would buy the timber and use it to grind cbills for dire wolf since the timber will be out later, but is a great all around mech

#12 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:34 PM

Either one is OP, but if you need to get the most OP, its the Timberwolf, id suggest you get them both now before they rightfully get nerfed.

#13 SniperCzar

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 96 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:50 AM

If you want to skirmish one on one, grab a timber. If you want to tear through a lance of three charging atlases like they were hunchbacks, grab a dire. Just bear in mind with a dire you're an anchor, but sometimes your team's ship sails without you reeled in and you get keel-hauled.

#14 Mobile Ordnance Platform

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 334 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:02 AM

timberwolf is the most massively overpowered broken noskill easymode mech in the game currently

you would be crazy not to get one !
if you cant beat them, join them

ironically you would probably become a better pilot if you stuck with IS mechs lol

#15 Verkhne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 299 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:12 AM

NerfBat is likely to be swung hard at TW .

#16 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:17 AM

View PostGamerGirlGundam, on 04 September 2014 - 10:02 AM, said:

timberwolf is the most massively overpowered broken noskill easymode mech in the game currently

you would be crazy not to get one !
if you cant beat them, join them

ironically you would probably become a better pilot if you stuck with IS mechs lol

agreeed!

#17 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:38 AM

Timber. The Dire is just too slow. Yes, the redonkulous firepower it can bring compensates somewhat, but in a lot of games you will find your team way ahead of you, and you get picked off by faster mechs... And when I say faster mechs, I mean stuff like Stalkers.

#18 terrycloth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 769 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:58 AM

TW = stalker firepower + shadowhawk speed
DW = OMG WTF BBQ + stalker speed

( kit fox = shadowhawk firepower + shadowhawk speed + ecm )

#19 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 12:04 PM

View PostSaber Fang, on 02 September 2014 - 06:00 AM, said:

Hi all I need help on decideing on what clan mech package to buy.

Personally I'd wait till they sort things out, like the lag, server disconnects etc.

#20 --Saint--

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:57 PM

I love the Direwolf. Love it. Yes its slow, no it can´t turn or torso twist well, its vulnerable to LRMs, has limited torso twist angle (its like 45 degrees or something ridiculous!) and if you can´t stay with your group, you´re dead. But this game is about playing to your mech´s strengths, not its weaknesses, so there is a (long) learning curve to using it effectively, and using it effectively means getting into situations where your damage potential is fully maximized and you are exposed for only a minimum amount of time (forget just standing out in the open).

And man does it feel good to obliterate enemy mechs that make the mistake of wandering into your crosshairs. Its fun to watch them flee from your punishment! Watch the enemy hastily abandon positions when the see direwolves incoming. Its terrifying. Nothing stands for long 1vs1 with a DW. Not even an Atlas. No matter what weapons you put in it, a DWolf is a scary, scary mech in the hands of a capable pilot.

Still though. I have a healthy respect for Timber Wolves. They´re fast, elegant, tough and pack a hard punch. I hate facing them. Their pilots tend to be resourceful and highly capable. Or at least, I´ve seen noob DWolf pilots aplenty but very few in a Twolf.

Since you´re highly missile oriented you probably want a TWolf. I like Energy and AC´s so its the DW for me, hands down. Whatever you choose though, you´ll have lots of fun. Guaranteed.

Edited by Nighthawk88, 09 September 2014 - 01:17 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users