16 replies to this topic

#1 Topshot Tiger

• PipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 58 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:04 AM

So I'm kinda torn between two mechs: Timberwolf, or summoner. I'v heard numerous good things about Timberwolf, and also noting he weighs a little extra I might like that. Opinions?

#2 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:19 AM

The Timber is overall better. The Summoner has a good "feel" to it, IMO, but that's a personal thing. And not something relevant to how it will or won't work for you.

#3 WaddeHaddeDudeda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts
  • LocationAllocation Relocation Dislocation

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:17 AM

I don't understand the question. ;)

Go Timberwolf any day!
The payload of the Summoner is just crap (a Stormcrow can do pretty much anything a Summoner can do too - except for the JJ's - while being a MEDIUM).
Despite that the Timberwolf is currently the most dangerous and useful Mech in the game.
It packs a serious punch, combined with decent armour and outrageous (!) speed + JJ's too.

#4 Vadafallon

• PipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 49 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:31 AM

Can the Stormcrow do 5 streak 6's? That is a fun build on the Summoner.

#5 levitas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Forbidden
  • The Forbidden
  • 264 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:36 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f023942e3a9454f

Yes it can.

#6 xMintaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 882 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:50 AM

There is no debate. The Timber Wolf is hands down the better mech of the two, perhaps the best mech in the game.

That doesn't mean the Summoner isn't fun though. It's just never going to be as powerful as the Timber.

#7 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:29 AM

I like my Summoner mechs, but of the two the Timber Wolf is the better mech. I like the Summoner Prime's cooldown bonuses on the arms, but the required five tons of jump jets restricts the tonnage left over for weapons. I'm fond of my Blackjacks and find that the Summoner feels a lot like the Blackjack in its speed and maneuverability, but with a lot more added durability.

I think if PGI were to introduce leg omnipods for the Summoner that lacked the jump jets of the current variants it would transform it from a maneuverable 70 ton mech to a less maneuverable but potent heavy hitter. It would give the Summoner one CT jump jet but free up four more tons for weapons and allow heat sinks or ammunition to be put into the legs.

#8 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:37 AM

View PostTopshotTiger, on 02 September 2014 - 06:04 AM, said:

So I'm kinda torn between two mechs: Timberwolf, or summoner. I'v heard numerous good things about Timberwolf, and also noting he weighs a little extra I might like that. Opinions?

The timberwolf does everything the summoner can do, but better (except jumping)

Now, as you know, jump jetting was severely nerfed. Thus, the 5JJ in the summoner now means less than ever before.

Furthermore, a good loadout with the summoner was the dual ppc/ac5 combo, but, PPCs now have been nerfed aswell and there's no logical reason to take them over pure lasers, especially on something like the TW that can boat more of them.

Logic 10/10

Edited by E N E R G Y, 03 September 2014 - 08:38 AM.

#9 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:10 AM

View PostRuccus, on 03 September 2014 - 08:29 AM, said:

I think if PGI were to introduce leg omnipods for the Summoner that lacked the jump jets of the current variants...

The jets are hard locked to the chassis, like the engine and ferro armor are. A version of the Summoner without hardwired jets does not enter production until 3119, current year in game is 3049.

#10 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:30 AM

View PostEscef, on 03 September 2014 - 09:10 AM, said:

The jets are hard locked to the chassis, like the engine and ferro armor are. A version of the Summoner without hardwired jets does not enter production until 3119, current year in game is 3049.

Had it had MWO's 'hover jets' rather than true Battletech jump jets, the Summoner would have lost its jump jets well before 3119.

Though to be honest, if they'd just unnerf jump jets I think I'd have a huge amount of fun with the Summoner (I already like the mech, I just see the flaws in it as well).

#11 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:50 AM

Without a doubt the Timberwolf is the best heavy in the game. Fast, durable, and can field an impressive variety of hardpoints.

#12 GumbyC2C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 392 posts
  • LocationDeutchland

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:03 AM

I pilot Summoners almost exclusively. Timber Wolf can do better loadouts. But I like the way the Summoner feels. It's more graceful. I use simple loadouts with just a few good weapons and it is very effective. It's not the sort of mech that will have a big alpha. But it can be a very good mech in the hands of the right mechwarrior.

#13 a gaijin

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationUS Naval Base, Yokosuka, Japan

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:55 PM

View PostE N E R G Y, on 03 September 2014 - 08:37 AM, said:

The timberwolf does everything the summoner can do, but better (except jumping)

Now, as you know, jump jetting was severely nerfed. Thus, the 5JJ in the summoner now means less than ever before.

Furthermore, a good loadout with the summoner was the dual ppc/ac5 combo, but, PPCs now have been nerfed aswell and there's no logical reason to take them over pure lasers, especially on something like the TW that can boat more of them.

Logic 10/10

You gave the most accurate answer.
With the coming jump jet thrust and turn-rate update, how do you think this will change combat dynamcs and effectiveness of jump-jet capable builds?

Also I have to ask, which 5 missile system builds does a Timber Wolf do better than the Summoner?
I've seen some interesting 5 SSRM/SRM builds out there on Summoners

[Edited typos]

Edited by HeroForHire, 13 October 2014 - 07:00 PM.

#14 Thejuggla

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 06:25 PM

Sounds like you want what's better, timberwolf is better, but id go ahead and play what you want to. Summomer might do a few builds timberwolf can't but those builds aren't necessarily better than what the timberwolf can do. Timberwolf has the endo advantage too leaving it with a lot of tons for weapons, the amount of omni pod flexibility allows for a lot of different builds. You can't really go wrong with the timberwolf.

#15 Neput Z34

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 244 posts
  • Location...far away from a Land of my birth...

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:25 PM

Timber Wolf / MAD-CAT is better then a Summoner / Thor in all but 2 aspects:
Nº1 Summoner has 2 high mounted ballistics slots
Nº2 "THOR"

Edited by Neput Z34, 20 October 2014 - 05:27 PM.

#16 Mad Ox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 358 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 21 October 2014 - 07:42 AM

Summoner is the more limited of the 2 as one of the oldest Omnimechs its to be expected. Add on it has some of the worst weapon slots at max you can get 6 while Timber can pull 12 if I remember right.

But all that said; I am working on my 3 summoners right now and now that I found builds that work for each variant I am finding the summoner with skills to be a very powerful and effective mech. I try to keep stock omnipods on the mechs and adjust the load out according to that mech setup and omnipods. Makes getting XP and that grind more fun across the board to me.

Had a personal best last night with 2 kills 2 assists and 1213 damage on the B with 5 SSRM-4's, I harpooned a Solo D. Whale and ripped him up well, soooo fun :)

#17 MechWarrior679696

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 85 posts
  • LocationWhere you don't want to be

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:06 PM

Speaking of nothing, but bearing in mind tonnages and hardpoint and engine options and all that, who here would like to see the Woodsman as an alternative to the Timberwolf?

I mean, they are going to have to give us MASC and stuff sooner or later (not to mention new weapons, particularly for IS; that I'm looking forward to) and on a 75-ton heavy I'd prefer slightly more favorable hardpoints and more tonnage to devote to weaponry over that much engine...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users