All Of A Sudden The Game Is Working!

9 replies to this topic

#1 DjPush

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:33 AM

I dont know if I did something or if the new data migration did something. Some how the game is now working fantastically for me. I used to lag spikes and FPS drops in every match. Recently I did some research and changes to my PC but it coincided with PGI's data migration so I dont know if what I did fixed it.

I have a FX8320 and 2 Gigabyte gtx770 4gb cards at stock clocks. I would get horrible frame rates that dropped into the teens under heavy fighting. Recently I researched some ways to overclock the CPU.

On my motherboard's (ASUS M5A99FX) bios I went into "AI tweaker" and turned off turbo core. I then changed the CPU ratio from auto to a set value starting at 17.5. I also set CPU voltage to automatic. I reset my computer and looked at my CPU clock. If it wasn't at my target clock speed I would increase cpu ratio by 0.5 save and reset. I continued this process, restarting after every adjustment, until I had reached a clock speed of 4ghz. I then disabled "cool and quiet" in bios and let her rip.

I enabled SLI on my GTX770's and then fired up MWO. Holy smokes the game is running so smooth now!

Before: SLI would cause missing artifacts in mechs and maps. Now... everything is there!
Before: Huge peaks and valleys in FPS. Now... solid 40 to 60 in combat, very high settings, post AS and 1080p resolution.

If you have similar gear maybe this will help.

Edited by DjPush, 02 September 2014 - 11:34 AM.

#2 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:37 AM

View PostDjPush, on 02 September 2014 - 11:33 AM, said:

I dont know if I did something or if the new data migration did something. Some how the game is now working fantastically for me. I used to lag spikes and FPS drops in every match. Recently I did some research and changes to my PC but it coincided with PGI's data migration so I dont know if what I did fixed it.

I have a FX8320 and 2 Gigabyte gtx770 4gb cards at stock clocks. I would get horrible frame rates that dropped into the teens under heavy fighting. Recently I researched some ways to overclock the CPU.

On my motherboard's (ASUS M5A99FX) bios I went into "AI tweaker" and turned off turbo core. I then changed the CPU ratio from auto to a set value starting at 17.5. I also set CPU voltage to automatic. I reset my computer and looked at my CPU clock. If it wasn't at my target clock speed I would increase cpu ratio by 0.5 save and reset. I continued this process, restarting after every adjustment, until I had reached a clock speed of 4ghz. I then disabled "cool and quiet" in bios and let her rip.

I enabled SLI on my GTX770's and then fired up MWO. Holy smokes the game is running so smooth now!

Before: SLI would cause missing artifacts in mechs and maps. Now... everything is there!
Before: Huge peaks and valleys in FPS. Now... solid 40 to 60 in combat, very high settings, post AS and 1080p resolution.

If you have similar gear maybe this will help.

What was your cpu speed before? I went from i7@2.93 and 40-60 fps to an i7@4.4 and getting 100+ fps before the server change.

And yes the difference was night and day. Then the server issues started.

Edited by Bilbo, 02 September 2014 - 11:42 AM.

#3 DjPush

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:47 AM

From what I understand "Cool and Quiet" in bios is a power saving function that slows the CPU to around 1.5Ghz unitil a demand is required then bumps up to 3.5Ghz which it stock speed. "Turbo Core" is another step it takes if the demand requires it. It will automatically OC the CPU to 4Ghz if needed. Which from what I have read never happens. So I turned off all those functions so that the CPU runs at a constant 4Ghz. I think all those power saving options were holding the CPU back. I also have VSync enabled so my game could go higher than 60fps but I only have a 60hz monitor.

Edited by DjPush, 02 September 2014 - 11:48 AM.

#4 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:53 AM

View PostDjPush, on 02 September 2014 - 11:47 AM, said:

From what I understand "Cool and Quiet" in bios is a power saving function that slows the CPU to around 1.5Ghz unitil a demand is required then bumps up to 3.5Ghz which it stock speed. "Turbo Core" is another step it takes if the demand requires it. It will automatically OC the CPU to 4Ghz if needed. Which from what I have read never happens. So I turned off all those functions so that the CPU runs at a constant 4Ghz. I think all those power saving options were holding the CPU back. I also have VSync enabled so my game could go higher than 60fps but I only have a 60hz monitor.

Yeah, I hate power saving features. They generally cause bad things to happen. That said, the game has always been cpu limited. Any bump in cpu speed will give good results. Mine just happened to come with a new cpu entirely.

#5 Odins Fist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:07 PM

For a smooth Overclock and Higher clocks, ALWAYS disable (in Bios) Cool & Quiet.

Always for AMD.

Make sure you have better then OK cooling, such as waterblocked CPU, or very high end leaf blower for CPU fan and heatsink.
Asus Crosshair V 990FX-rev 1
Posted Image
Asus Sabertooth 990FX-rev 1
Posted Image
Crosshair has Phenom II x6 1100t at 4.27GHZ (stock 3.3GHZ)
Sabertooth has Phenom II x4 960t (unlocked to x5) at 4.15 GHZ (stock 3.0GHZ)
Never had a single issue, Cool & Quiet first thing disabled before OC.

Edited by Odins Fist, 02 September 2014 - 12:23 PM.

#6 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:10 PM

View PostOdins Fist, on 02 September 2014 - 12:07 PM, said:

For a smooth Overclock and Higher clocks, ALWAYS disable (in Bios) Cool & Quiet.

Always for AMD.

Make sure you have better then OK cooling, such as waterblocked CPU, or very high end leaf blower for CPU fan and heatsink.

The water cooler is cheaper unless, of course, you already have said leaf blower. Neighbors might complain though.

#7 DjPush

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:14 PM

I have a Corsair H80 liquid cooler. I have never seen temps above 50c with it. Nice piece of equipment.

#8 Odins Fist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:20 PM

View PostDjPush, on 02 September 2014 - 12:14 PM, said:

I have a Corsair H80 liquid cooler. I have never seen temps above 50c with it. Nice piece of equipment.

50C... Ouch, I never get close to that :P

I wouldn't go less then the H-105 if I was going to OC a FX series CPU, but that's personal preference.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835181060

http://www.overclock...nd-overclocking

Edited by Odins Fist, 02 September 2014 - 12:21 PM.

#9 FDJustin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:25 PM

The CPU isn't the bottleneck on my laptop. It's RAM sometimes, if I leave a few MWO forum browser tabs open or something. (They tend to eat 100, 200 mb RAM each somehow.) Posted Image

Or it's the GPU, as the game keeps it running full thrust at 1050mhz core, 1250mhz memory... And 90 Celsius.

Edited by FDJustin, 02 September 2014 - 12:26 PM.

#10 DjPush

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:32 PM

I dont have AC. Room temp is anywhere between 30 and 40c in the summer. Considering AMD thermal ceiling is 62c Im ok with 50c temps while gaming.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users