91 replies to this topic

#1 Kyle Polulak

<member/>

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 584 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:13 PM

Please let us know your concerns regarding Russ' latest Command Chair update!

View PostRuss Bullock, on 02 September 2014 - 11:43 AM, said:

Hello MechWarrior’s,

Many of you are aware of what has been referred to as the “Desync bug” where players experience screen freezing or watching other 'Mech’s walk in place. Recently Karl Berg put up this post to help explain our latest understanding of the issue at the time, which can be found here.

Our first order of attack was to improve the way we send some types of traffic from our servers. This change went live late last week; unfortunately the Desync issue remains a problem. There have been some reports that the problem is less frequent but there is no data yet to prove this, so for now we are working under the assumption that the issue remains at the same frequency as before.

Regardless of this result, we do feel the change we made was a positive one and does remove lots of messaging work from the servers and network and may make it easier for us to now identify the true problem.

This remains priority number one for our network engineers and a candidate for a future hot fix. As soon as we have more information on a possible fix we will let the community know our plan for testing and implementation.

In the meantime the only thing that you the players can do to help would be to provide reliable reproduction steps for this issue, something that so far has eluded us.

Thanks.

#2 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:29 PM

Are they still testing the desync fix that was on the last test server (for the latter half of it at least)?

#3 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:29 PM

Personally, rigorously analyzing the reconnection system is probably the first thing that should be looked at about all else, as that is where/when these issues seemed to manifest.

#4 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:36 PM

So you still have no idea what is causing it?

#5 Jody Von Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:38 PM

I've experienced it most on Crimson Strait and Tourmaline. It usually occurs when there are a lot mechs in a small area usually around one of the bases.

#6 BlackBeltJones

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:39 PM

I suspect Premium Time is causing this issue. I advise all players to stop buying and using Premium Time until we can confirm it is in fact the culprit.

#7 SmurfOff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 107 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:50 PM

In the meantime the only thing that you the players can do to help would be to provide reliable reproduction steps for this issue, something that so far has eluded us.

#8 KamikazeRat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 711 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:52 PM

The problem with giving you information on reproducing is lack of consistancy in its appearance.
Most reproduce reports are going to look like this:

Enter match (Fill in map location and battle type)....at (fill in timestamp) match goes sideways and everyone runs in place.....everyone comes out of it and half of them are dead.

Did i miss anything?

#9 Aluminumfoiled

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationErehwon

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:59 PM

It's better for me now and fewer 0 pingers in matches. More like a brief stutter instead of a full on moon walk to my death. Thanks.

#10 kailii

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:01 PM

How about a bit of Brainstorming?

When there are no live updates for like 30 seconds i'd yell DISCONNECT.
But this can't be - the bug would be relatively easy to find.

Next idea: Interchanging Timers. I don't know if anyone but me uses this term, so lemme explain: :)
(Real life) Soldiers are told to never to cross a bridge in marching order, because the combined power
of their footsteps hitting the bridge at the exact same time could make it desintegrate.

In programming terms, think about 2 timers. One ticks every 3 seconds, the other every 5.
When they intersect at 15 seconds, only one tick is transmitted while the other one is lost.
Now some part of the Software waits for that second tick which never arrives.

Something like that could explain the extreme long freezes we encounter.
And maybe i just talked nonsense. But sometimes stepping away from the problem solves it. ;)

#11 TinFoilHat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 261 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:28 PM

Dropped in a dozen or so matches tonight in both IS and Clan mechs, got desynchs and zero ping mechs in at least half the games. Tourmaline, Frozen City (day and night), Canyon Network - usually noted when firing multiple weapons at once at close range, eg srms and lasers, or lasers and mg's.

#12 Nemesis Duck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:31 PM

Anecdotally, I've noticed desyncs at certain times of the day when I suspect there were a less NA players. (I'm NA)

For example, last bad desync session was early Sunday morning (~9:00am) PST but there were no desyncs the next day in the early evening (~5:00pm PST).

#13 Marmon Rzohr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 769 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the universe, probably

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:01 PM

Steps to reproduce and other information:

ISP: 20/10 Mbps down/up Amis Telecom fiber optic connection
In game latency: 112-125 ms (old ping was 150 ms)

Every so often (I haven't timed so can't be sure the intervals are regular) there is a spike in latency (desyncing). It lasts between 4 or 5 seconds and 10 or 20 seconds. I am able to issue commands but the game lags so far behind, what I see on the screen doesn't even remotely correspond to what is happening.

It seems to happen soon (a couple of min at most) after I connect into a match. I don't recall it happening in an endgame situation. But it could be only a small sample size.

I must add that while I'm experiencing a desync other players (or at least most of them) appear to be unaffected, as when things go back to normal I see that they have advanced in a normal manner or fought with the enemy in a way they could not have if they had such extreme latency.

Almost every match I played today was affected by this bug (could be every single match, but I do not recall if this is the case).

P.S. If it happens to be relevant, I've seen a similar bug before when the server lagged out (everyone in the match "desynced" - started lagging horrendously, so they had no option but to wait out the timer or disconnect from the match). Only that was an isloated incident I have seen only two or three times since I started playing this game. Also the lag never stopped when that happened unlike these current issues when the lag stops after some time.

Edited by Marmon Rzohr, 02 September 2014 - 02:04 PM.

#14 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:10 PM

Thanks for the update.

Anecdotally, I'm having far fewer desynchs than before, but they are still happening. Last night I desynched alone in front of a fresh DireWolf, hit all stop and patiently twiddled my thumbs. When the game came to, the DW was dead and NO-ONE KNEW HOW IT DIED.

Now, i'm not saying it's some form of homicidal ghost responsible for the desynchs, just that it's a possibility.

#15 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:15 PM

Still happening for me at least as often as it was. Game is just about unplayable most of the time.

As others have stated (many times) it seems like this did not become prevalent until the reconnect option was implemented

#16 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:17 PM

Well, I have noticed this effect always seems to come in the middle of the most mechs engaged in combat, there is typically the most drag when many weapons are firing at once...especially things like lasers/MGs/SRMs

Edited by Gyrok, 02 September 2014 - 02:18 PM.

#17 Felbombling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,973 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:23 PM

I'm no software engineer, but I suggest you remove the rejoin feature and see what happens. Most people associate that patch with the bad desync and rubber banding issues.

#18 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:31 PM

I log in
I select a mech
I join a game
At various and sundry times I desync.

Not much more I can tell you.

#19 anonymous161

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:54 PM

Why do they expect us to do their work for them we have paid plenty it's time they start throwing out some money! Why dont they hire actual game testers for quality control? I'll tell you why it's because they are cheap and just want to grab your money and go once they know they can no longer carry on with their fake mechwarrior game.

#20 Zolaz

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:55 PM

If you desync while you are over heated you will blow up. Had it happen to me. I am starting to wonder if this desyncing problem is setting the Community Warfare timeline back or not.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users