Nova Is Dead

174 replies to this topic

#1 elHolgre

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:01 PM

Are you kidding? You just released the Nova for cbills and then you rediculously nerf it's only strength (lasers)!!??
It's as fragile as a ming vase and has to have a smart heat management even without the increase of heat for the csl and cml! It would have been enough to reduce either their range OR increase their heat output.
Now that i have finally mastered the 3 variants (around 30.000.000 cbills altogether) I can bury them!
Thanks.

#2 Xeraphale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 241 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:09 PM

It was already EXTREMELY hot but now that the nerfhammer has come and pummelled it into oblivion. The only way you can run a successful Nova build now is to add ballistics, which kind of defeats the point of the Nova.

#3 Cyborne Elemental

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:14 PM

Heat needs to go down to 5.25 or 5.5 to even make the STOCK DEFAULT PRIME BUILD even usable, the range dropoff is completely reasonable and necessary, the extra heat is not.

I've got my Nova Mastered, and it can not even keep up now.

One of two things needs to happen, either PERK the nova for energy, or bring the CERML heat down a hair.

Edited by Mister D, 05 September 2014 - 12:15 PM.

#4 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:18 PM

Are you surprised even a little? When the direwolf comes out for CB late this month, expect to suddenly start hearing talk about how cUACs need some nerfing from PGI...

#5 Wrath and Fury

Rookie

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:21 PM

Yep. We told you on the test server that the Nova was unusable with the increased heat, yet as predicted you did not listen. Now you have a lot of people who spent both real money as well as a large amount of c-bills to purchase a Mech that they can no longer use.

Edit: So after 2 volleys of 6 medium lasers with the mech mastered, I'm at 98% heat, and it takes a full 9 SECONDS before I can fire again! That is of course if I am not burning my JJ's to get the hell out of there before I get my face melted off by an IS light who runs 60 KPH FASTER than me and carries far more heat efficient lasers which do nearly the same DPS for less heat. What the hell sense does this make? On the stock build without efficiency increases, one volley takes me to 60%, and I cant fire again for 4 seconds or I will shout down. Your changes make no sense especially considering the Nova was DESIGNED to fire 12 ******* medium lasers!

Either quirk the Nova with an additional 20% Increased heat dissipation, or rollback the heat changes to something a little less idiotic

Edited by Wrath and Fury, 05 September 2014 - 01:33 PM.

#6 Meta 4

• Pip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 13 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:21 PM

The Nova isn't dead, but it should get some buffs to get it back to a competitive state.

#7 Ironwithin

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,613 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:23 PM

View Postaniviron, on 05 September 2014 - 12:18 PM, said:

Are you surprised even a little? When the direwolf comes out for CB late this month, expect to suddenly start hearing talk about how cUACs need some nerfing from PGI...

There shall be no talk, only nerfs.

#8 Ph30nix

• 2,442 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:28 PM

View PostIronwithin, on 05 September 2014 - 12:23 PM, said:

There shall be no talk, only nerfs.

Direwolf now has to be stationary for 5 seconds to deploy firing support struts before any weapons can be fired.
Direwolf must stop firing for 5 seconds to allow firing support struts to retract before being able to move after struts deployed.
Direwolf loses ability to torso twist while firing support struts are deployed
Direwolf can no longer equip arm & hand actuators.

#9 Ryvucz

Zunrith

• 2,839 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:28 PM

My Timber Wolf cannot handle four Clan ER Medium Lasers.

Not even on chain fire.

#10 Wrath and Fury

Rookie

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:29 PM

View PostMister D, on 05 September 2014 - 12:14 PM, said:

Heat needs to go down to 5.25 or 5.5 to even make the STOCK DEFAULT PRIME BUILD even usable, the range dropoff is completely reasonable and necessary, the extra heat is not.

I've got my Nova Mastered, and it can not even keep up now.

One of two things needs to happen, either PERK the nova for energy, or bring the CERML heat down a hair.

I'm all for a quirk like 20% increased heat efficiency seeing as the stock Nova is a pure laser boat.

#11 Voivode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:31 PM

Laserboats have always been weak in MWO. Awesome 8Q, Banshee 3M, Thunderbolt 5SS. An energy boat struggling to be relevant in the game isn't really new.

#12 Ph30nix

• 2,442 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:32 PM

anyone else love the .05 reduction in beam duration for the ERML too?

#13 Wrath and Fury

Rookie

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:39 PM

I'm not one for lengthy posts, so I'll keep this short.

Go **** yourselves. Except you Nikolai, you're cool.

That is all.

#14 Albatroz

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:41 PM

Damn, I was already using small lasers to deal with the heat, but now I can´t keep it up. They really got it wrong. Well, since Nova was always my favorite, I´ll stop playing untill this laser nerf is fixed. It´s hard to enjoy a game like this...

#15 RustyBolts

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:42 PM

Welcome to MWO (Mega Whiners Online) . Thanks to the whiners and criers about "Oh my ******* god I died to a clan mech. They are ******* OP, nerf now" crowed, you get the new Nova. The irony of this is that once these Mega Whiners start buying and playing clan mechs, post nerf, they are going to start "Oh my ******* god I died to an IS mech. They are so OP, nerf IS mechs now or buff clan mechs"

#16 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:42 PM

View PostVoivode, on 05 September 2014 - 12:31 PM, said:

Laserboats have always been weak in MWO. Awesome 8Q, Banshee 3M, Thunderbolt 5SS. An energy boat struggling to be relevant in the game isn't really new.

*Ahem*....laser Vomit TBR's? They beg to differ...Mucho PPC stalkers were great before the nerf. Laser Boats have been fine until the Nerfhammer gets thrown through their cockpit. Each mech that was a "Laser Boat" has only lost its effectiveness because PGi nerfed it into the ground. (other then the AWS i guess...he has other problems)

I guess i will be wanting my money back soon too....*sigh*

Edited by DarthRevis, 05 September 2014 - 12:47 PM.

#17 Syncline

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 205 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:44 PM

Nerfing multiple aspects of a weapon at once is a very, very bad idea. One of the essential techniques of experimentation is that you control as many variables as you can, alter one that is interesting, observe the results, then act on the observations. This patch nerfed multiple aspects of each weapon. I will agree that the range nerf is an acceptable one, but also nerfing heat and buffing beam duration is just silly.

PGI should have nerfed the laser's range and made no other changes to the weapons, given us a patch cycle to play with the weapons, then make further adjustments as necessary.

Too much, too soon, PGI.

#18 Wrath and Fury

Rookie

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:47 PM

Not to mention 6 er smalls generate nearly the same heat as 6 IS mediums (18 vs 24), but with far less damage and range. Balance right?

Again....

**** you

Edited by Wrath and Fury, 05 September 2014 - 12:50 PM.

#19 HUNTERS MOON

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 117 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:00 PM

Continual multiple changes in the game seem to show a lack of any logic, respect or competency. Other than the middle finger to your customers.

#20 John80sk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 375 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:02 PM

We're getting pretty close to pillow cannon fights. Nobody can hurt anybody and we'll all just meet at the middle of the map and have mech dance parties.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users