Is The Banshee Worth It?

46 replies to this topic

#21 Bigbacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 09:01 AM

I haven't been doing too bad in the 3E with 3xAC5 + 2PPC. only time it sucks is if you get caught under that 90m PPC BS..ERPCCs are too hot and without arms to swing weapons around, I feel I need to do the damage or none at all trying to swing lasers around.

#22 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 04 October 2014 - 05:40 AM

Now, finally got my last Banshee, the S.

I like them but my assault play...'bush league' would be a compliment.

The M, feels right. Need to save up and get a bunch of pulse lazors for wubwub. Sold them all a while ago.

The E, though strong, eluded me. I generally dont dakka much. This will take time to get used to.

The S, well, i punked out and went similar to the M. I did not know it could be set up like a skinny Atlas so i may try the ac20, ml, lrm(20?) route. In a moment of weakness i may LRM to farm some assists to help with exp/cbill

I want that Wubshee. I want a mech with 10 tons devoted to cabinets full of 50inch speakers to pound the bass!
Slap some Bootsy Collins or Victor Wooten in the tape deck. Slap Bass galore! WUB wub wub WUBBA WUBBA WUBWUB!!! :o

#23 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 10:12 AM

For 3E 3 AC5:s and 4 medium lasers,cooldown and range module tier 5 to AC:s and watch your enemies melt,3S is good with AC20 + 2 PPC:s,3M works with 2 LPL,6 mediums

#24 Jorunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 136 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:29 AM

Great post fellow Banshee pilots! I see a lot of you are running the 2xAC5/2xAC2 or 3xAC5 makeup on the 3E so I'm happy to have a little different setup. I'd love to hear what you think of this:

Banshee BNC-3E running dual shotguns 2x LC 10-X AC, 1x ERLL, 3x ML with a STD350. I like having an ERLL to reach out and touch someone long range pinpoint and strafing for assists and close to mid range brawling I can alpha twice and shred a lot of mechs. I find I'm chasing Dire Wolves for the most fun, one match killed two. I regularly kill 2-3 with 500-700 damage most matches. 65.7kph isn't slow for an assault and though a Banshee doesn't need to run STD engines with it's tiny side torsos, needing it for the slots I found it is nice to keep in the fight after losing one side or the other keeping plenty of punch.

I love my Banshee BNC-3M too with a 400XL, 4x ERLL, 2x MPL, 2x ML. It's crazy fast and maneuverable for an assault at 75kph and chainfiring the ERLLs right and left with all the MPL/MLs on button 3 as a 22 damage punch with a 58 alpha... just wow. Talk about laser light show!

I admit I'm not a very good pilot or snap shot so these builds suit me so well I never run anything else anymore though I'm waiting to try out the Timber Wolf when they come out for C-Bills, I have over 40 million just waiting lol

#25 The Trumpet of Gabriel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 193 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:15 AM

The recent quirks have made the banshee's even more lethal. The ac5 cool down stacked with the level 5 cool down module just makes the 3E tear through targets with the triple ac5 build. The buffs to the LPL's and decrease of energy heat generation on the 3m make the "Wubshee" even better...57 pinpoint alpha anywhere you want it.

#26 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:17 AM

Banshee's, mastered them all out a year or so ago.
I kept the E...that says something. I have 16 mech bays and only 5-6 mechs at any given time.
I have zero tolerance for mechs that dont produce, dont put a smile on my face or just flop and cost me time and my team matches.

The E.......standard mush build of 3AC5's, 4ML's, std325 mandatory. Its a great mech. just a GREAT mech. Tried a myriad of other builds, and settled on this as the best- for my style.
Wins blink contests with so many mechs I've shifted most of the armor to the front and just accept sometimes I get snuck up on, or team blasted. The only mech I own that busted the 1000 mark twice.
(pro tip: aim at the head in all mechs, learn where that cockpit is)

The M....(sold it a long time ago, no build was lasting, ran hotter than hell, quirks made it come alive again)
What can I say..its a banshee. you play it differently than the other assaults (banshee, atlas, stalker mastered) its more like...like a giant medium, a steroidal hunchback. Feels a LOT like a hunchie...just with twice the armor, taller, but torso, play, feels real similar.
XL400 mandatory, 2-4 large pulse, 2-4 ERLL's, 2-3 LL's 8 mediums, 8MPL's
2 of each, 2 of this, 4 of that
3 of this 3 of that 2 of the other
2 of that, 1 of this 1 of the other and 4 for trolling

All the laser builds work- dependent totally on your play style.
(pro tip: aim for the legs, no matter what, legs. aim at the legs. Legs. (unless you see a weak torso, or arm etc) Legs.)

I believe, for now, I may have, maybe, probably settled into, 3 LPL's and 5ML's, mix in modules to suit. Heat is quite manageable for the pure energy set up. You do NOT have to fill all those energy slots BTW

#27 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:57 AM

question for banshee M jocks, what is the highest DPS build you've come up with? TIA

#28 The Trumpet of Gabriel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 193 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 06 November 2014 - 01:44 PM

I ran the 3M with an XL400 3 LPL and 5 ML for a long time and had several games with 1000+ damage scores. I've recently gone over to the dark side and now run 2 LPL and 6 MPL...I've fallen in love with wub :wub: This set up performs just as well as the old one, but lets you dump your alpha faster so you can twist away. It is surprisingly fast and maneuverable for a 95ton battlemech...75kph with speed tweak. The downside is that it is very hot, but the heat dissipates quickly enough especially with the recent quirks.

#29 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 08:48 AM

Jumped back in my Banshee E

LORD GOD KING DAKKA DAKKA 3ac5, 4ml, std325(320?) as much ammo as you can fit...you will burn through it.

The AC5 quirk is amazing and i dont even have the module yet.

Its 15 damage like...i dunno, EVERY SECOND.

Put it on chain fire and you can get DireWhales to seek cover.

You can definitely BULLY the field...and i suck with assaults!

Also got back in my Wubshee M with the MPL modules

Face melting fun, 1lpl, 7mpl, xl400, as many DHS as you can cram. DONT FACETANK

Play the M like a medium on steroids. Move into cover and use the short pulse burn times. If you do it right, enemies shouldnt see you...i like that.

Havent rolled in the S yet but if its like the M but with regular lasers im guessing same but more range. I still run Fantastic Tuesday's cheap *ss build with te 41 SHS. Why? Cuz it works and is cheap.

My investment advice: long Banshee...till any nerfs come to play.

#30 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 06:57 AM

Well, I dumped the 5ML's for 4MPL's, seems about the same, other than loss of range.
Keeping the 3 LPL's for now....might drop a large, pick up another MPL and fill slots with DHS's.
No WAY am I losing the XL400, its really not that much 'weaker' than its standard counterpart if you play smart, dart in, dart out..going up against four anythings its over anyhow. Standing on a ridge, showers of LRM's cause you wandered up the hill...wouldn't add more than 30 seconds to your life using a standard.

#31 Tahribator

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 07:07 AM

I've been enjoying this 2xLPL/6xML Banshee very much after the quirkening. It's the laser-vomit 'Mech that IS deserves. Tough, mobile and heat efficient.

#32 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 07:40 AM

Need some Banshee advice.

I do well in a Wubshee, it moves like a medium, short burn time and has 2 shield arms.

Banshee E i have trouble with.
What loadout should i use post-quirkening? i have 3AC5, 4ML STD320? But some say 2AC5 and 2AC2. Whats the benefit?

And how do you use them? Brawling? Fire support? I usually hang near other assaults.

The S i havent really used much but i run 2LL and the rest ML.

#33 Tahribator

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 07:51 AM

3xAC5 is the way to go because the fire rate is just ridiculous with the quirks and the cooldown module. I use 3xAC5, 4xML and STD330 myself. 2xUAC5 and 2xAC2 does respectable damage, but it spreads the damage too much for my tastes. The speed of the projectiles are incompatible. 3xAC5 is a faster killer.

You definitely don't want to brawl with the 3E(or the other Banshees). The AC's force you to stare at your target at close range which means your CT will get cored easily. I tend to stay at range as much as possible but always near the frontline. If your team is pushing, go with them, but let the brawlers take the aggro while you take down juicy targets with your AC5s. This 'Mech does particularly well in usual peek-a-boo face of the fights because you trade damage so well with the AC5s. This doesn't mean you should just cover in a corner taking potshots though, this 95 tonner can very well lead pushes. It's just that AC's require some time to rack up damage and it's best done at range while your target is busy with something.

Edited by Tahribator, 09 November 2014 - 07:52 AM.

#34 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 November 2014 - 07:56 AM

ask yourself if its worth it...
i have my fun in them running loadouts i do well instead of the quirked loads

#35 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 08:22 AM

View PostInspectorG, on 09 November 2014 - 07:40 AM, said:

Need some Banshee advice.

I do well in a Wubshee, it moves like a medium, short burn time and has 2 shield arms.

Banshee E i have trouble with.
What loadout should i use post-quirkening? i have 3AC5, 4ML STD320? But some say 2AC5 and 2AC2. Whats the benefit?

And how do you use them? Brawling? Fire support? I usually hang near other assaults.

The S i havent really used much but i run 2LL and the rest ML.

I paid to grind out the S...ugh
the other two, depends on your playstyle. I love the E, the cheese is 3ac5's and lasers, for a reason. its very effective, and while you have to spray and stand there...not a lot can out tank you- aim for the face. keep moving
heck I've run the E with machine guns and large pulse lasers. its hard to find a 'bad' build

#36 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 01:03 PM

Running the Banshee E this weekend, got the hula girl, and almost 3 mil with what little time I could spend on a computer.

yes. its worth it

#37 The Trumpet of Gabriel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 193 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:51 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but to my eye the Banshee 3E has replaced the Victor as the king of the IS battlemechs. Now when the King Crab comes out we'll see, but for now the Banshee is tops.

#38 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:58 AM

View PostSword of Morning, on 18 November 2014 - 09:51 AM, said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but to my eye the Banshee 3E has replaced the Victor as the king of the IS battlemechs. Now when the King Crab comes out we'll see, but for now the Banshee is tops.

Close...

I guess it comes down to if poptarting will become viable for the Victor again.

Banshee E is a Dakka Lord God King, but requires more facetime than poptarting.
I could see them sharing the top like FS and Jenners do. Preference and situation being the deciding factor.

King Crab...Oh man. All i want to do...is jump on top of one and ride it.

#39 PeekaBoo I C Ju

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 421 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationUnder your bed....BOO!

Posted 18 November 2014 - 10:00 AM

lol...guy in the video sounds like me may need to shower after all that lmao

#40 James DeGriz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 374 posts
  • LocationRainham, Kent UK

Posted 19 November 2014 - 04:58 AM

This dyed in the wool Highlander pilot has never really "felt" Banshees due to the focus of torso mounted hard points. Reading some of these posts though, I'm definitely tempted to try one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users