#41 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 28 November 2014 - 02:28 PM

View PostJames DeGriz, on 19 November 2014 - 04:58 AM, said:

This dyed in the wool Highlander pilot has never really "felt" Banshees due to the focus of torso mounted hard points. Reading some of these posts though, I'm definitely tempted to try one.

Someone somewhere said Banshees are the Assault for people who dont 'fit' the usual Assault mold.

The M with a XL400 feels like a slow Medium. Some say the XL hurts survivability but, you have 2 shields arms and twist quickly. Pulse lasers have short burn so the facetime is less that you would think.
I feels awesome just popping up over a ridge with a short burn @50 damage alpha when they dont expect that assault to be able to get up the hill in the first place.
Its more forgiving about bad positioning as well, you can actually get away from a bad spot.

The E is the Dakka Super Sayan IS king. 3AC% with quirks that are meaty. 2 shield arms. Requires more facetime but at 15 pinpoint damage @per second, not much facetime needed...

The S...the weakest of the banshees but also the cheapest. Yeah. Cheap. As in no upgrade CHEAP.
2LL rest ML, and everything else in (41)SHS!!!!!!!! Fantastic Tuesday has a funny vid about this.

Makes grinding cheaper...what OTHER chassis can boast that??? Certain Locusts? And it is a decent build for Pugandia as well.

Banshees really benefit from being mastered though. the extra speed and cooling help.

I have Banshees for IS and Whales for Clan...not really interested in anything else.

#42 ScorpionNinja

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 170 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 05:29 PM

View PostMercworks, on 09 September 2014 - 07:54 AM, said:

My biggest problem is with the Banshee is the lack of arm hardpoints. Most of the time, your builds only have torso weapons. That gets to be really difficult when you get into these Wheels of Death fights.

I agree, but keep in mind all mechs in MWO are taken from BATTLETECH and BT Lore. Banshees in BATTLETECH were fast assaults and closed distances ASAP then started "HULK SMASH" using its big strong arms & Fists!!! Once MWO adds Melee combat.. Banshees and Atlases will be FEARED by the Dire wolf Clan pilots!!!

#43 0rca

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:10 AM

View PostScorpionNinja, on 30 November 2014 - 05:29 PM, said:

Once MWO adds Melee combat..

You mean, like in 2021?

#44 Kalinth

• Pip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 09:48 AM

Banshee was my second mech to master after the Shadowhawk. I was told by a buddy "They're like assault versions of the shadowhawks!" and found it to be not far off from the truth.

You lose speed, you lose jump jets. But you gain a lot in terms of torso mounted weaponry and armor. It is, in my opinion, one of the most beginner friendly mechs for those learning the assault role. You can get used to all those extra perks the tonnage brings, weapons/armor/build flexibility, with the drawbacks being less harsh than other assaults like the DWF or Atlas.

As others have said, 3E is a beast. Once mastered and moduled you can make even a DWF seek cover. Ballistics also wreck lights through their lag shield.

http://mwomercs.com/...3m-post-quirks/ is a current topic I started to try and spark discussion of the 3M(ech Melter) and it's effectiveness post quirks. If you like energy weapons seriously look at that thread and ask away.

I will admit that I played least with the S variant. Bought it, despite having LM and already mastering the chassis, mostly to try out Tuesday's STD heatsink build. It is a fair bit of fun feeling like a mini deathstar but I found myself missing my E and M.

The LA Malinche is a difficult mech to run. 3LPL/AC10 or 2LPL/AC20 works well overall. It's low arm mounts though render a lot of your dps unusable outside of open terrain fighting or brawling. Elevation and corners can wreck your fighting potential though. Learning to pilot around the drawbacks takes time and effort and I fin the C-Bill bonus to not make up for the reduced performance I typically have in it.

The BNC isn't a face tanker but instead is amazing mech for med/long range combat once you find a load out that suits your style.

#45 Jorunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 136 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 14 December 2014 - 07:37 PM

I wholeheartedly disagree with those who didn't find a 3M build they liked as I've played a few versions and have to admit after recently going to the 350XL 4x LPL 4x MPL Wubanshee I am hooked again after a brief diversion on the new Timbers I got.

My playstyle has evolved from my earlier post as I've gotten to be a better pilot and shooter at medium brawling ranges. The Wubanshee is a killer, I'm regularly above 700 and 900 damage now.

Also going to try the 3x AC5 build as you guys have convinced me the quirks have changed the game. Will let you know how I like it, I'm sure I will lol

#46 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 10:24 PM

View PostKalinth, on 08 December 2014 - 09:48 AM, said:

Banshee was my second mech to master after the Shadowhawk. I was told by a buddy "They're like assault versions of the shadowhawks!" and found it to be not far off from the truth.

You lose speed, you lose jump jets. But you gain a lot in terms of torso mounted weaponry and armor. It is, in my opinion, one of the most beginner friendly mechs for those learning the assault role. You can get used to all those extra perks the tonnage brings, weapons/armor/build flexibility, with the drawbacks being less harsh than other assaults like the DWF or Atlas.

As others have said, 3E is a beast. Once mastered and moduled you can make even a DWF seek cover. Ballistics also wreck lights through their lag shield.

http://mwomercs.com/...3m-post-quirks/ is a current topic I started to try and spark discussion of the 3M(ech Melter) and it's effectiveness post quirks. If you like energy weapons seriously look at that thread and ask away.

I will admit that I played least with the S variant. Bought it, despite having LM and already mastering the chassis, mostly to try out Tuesday's STD heatsink build. It is a fair bit of fun feeling like a mini deathstar but I found myself missing my E and M.

The LA Malinche is a difficult mech to run. 3LPL/AC10 or 2LPL/AC20 works well overall. It's low arm mounts though render a lot of your dps unusable outside of open terrain fighting or brawling. Elevation and corners can wreck your fighting potential though. Learning to pilot around the drawbacks takes time and effort and I fin the C-Bill bonus to not make up for the reduced performance I typically have in it.

The BNC isn't a face tanker but instead is amazing mech for med/long range combat once you find a load out that suits your style.

That's a shame about the Malinche. I am really considering getting it. Just so I won't have to grind out the C-bills for a third variant. Especially since it comes with Endo and DHS right away. Weighing it against getting an ilya, but I would rather have an assault. It doesn't help the ilya is also cheaper.

#47 VirtualSmitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 528 posts
  • LocationHilton Head, Holy Terra

Posted 27 December 2014 - 02:45 PM

View PostMechaBattler, on 26 December 2014 - 10:24 PM, said:

That's a shame about the Malinche. I am really considering getting it. Just so I won't have to grind out the C-bills for a third variant. Especially since it comes with Endo and DHS right away. Weighing it against getting an ilya, but I would rather have an assault. It doesn't help the ilya is also cheaper.

I like La Malinche. I run a slow build, took the 285 engine from my 3S, 2 large pulse lasers in the arms, two medium lasers, AC10 with 3 tons of ammo, ALRM20 five tons ammo. The AC10 shoots very fast, especially with modules and the large pulse laser quirks are nice.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users