Mech Is Dead Pgi New Game.

88 replies to this topic

#21 sokitumi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 09 September 2014 - 02:57 PM

ROFLOL soooo THIS is what they've been working on late into the hours up there in Canada? I mean it was obvious that it wasn't MWO.... just.. wow...

View PostSaltBeef, on 09 September 2014 - 02:43 PM, said:

Why is it any different than Blizzard making Diablo,star craft, warcraft.........or Activision in the 90, s with mechwarrior and heavy gear. Gaming Companies make games some of them make more than just 1. Derp! Lucas arts made zillion starwars games...Sierra made gazillian games.

Because those management teams have proven that they can handle at least one good title.

Edited by sokitumi, 09 September 2014 - 03:00 PM.

#22 Yelland

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 02:59 PM

SC is pretty damn ambitious - if they can pull it off it could be a masterpiece.

On the other hand giving game developers money essentially "sight unseen" is wearing me out.

Players are becoming game publishers and backers instead of consumers buying a finished as advertised product/service. We are taking the risk instead of Activision - for example.

Who would pay for a concept car today that is coming out in three years? Food? Pre-pay to receive milk in x months from a cow that isn't born yet? It doesn't work in just about any non-entertainment scenario.

I play MWO because it is BT, I have fun, and expect to see CW become something real. At this point I am also invested, time and money. I may support MWO, but cannot see myself funding any more games that are TBD. I wonder if this trend is a bubble, and gamers will get fatigued, ready to go back to buying games in the traditional way.

I might pre-order Destiny, but I expect it to be feature/function complete on arrival. I am rewarding the developer for what they did, not for something they are going to do.

#23 SaltBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts
  • LocationOmni-mech cockpit.

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:06 PM

View PostWillard Phule, on 09 September 2014 - 02:55 PM, said:

You know, since I left the Army....I haven't been lied to or had my pay taken from me half as much as I'd prefer.

Gee....I'll join up for the big package. My kids can eat ramen for a month or two so Russ can feel better.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Might hurt the kiddies....just read sumthing about ramen consumption and side effects. Lol Chili mac was better when I was just starting out. 1 can chili , 1 boxi macaroni and cheese......Chili mac.

#24 terrycloth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 769 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:18 PM

I'm not sure why I would ever fund this without a playable demo. And it sounds like that's module 3?

It also sounds like the idea is 'EVE with no highsec' which is the last thing I would ever want to play ever. I would rather play a game where I sat at a desk doing paperwork.

(it was actually kind of fun)

#25 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,574 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:20 PM

That.... looks more similar to other games than I thought it would in almost every respect :(

#26 ThisMachineKillsFascists

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:29 PM

Check the likes and dislikes. I think this game seems to be a huge success already. Well done pgi- i wasnt expecting less from you

Edited by ThisMachineKillsFascists, 09 September 2014 - 03:47 PM.

#27 Jack Gallows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:41 PM

This many hours in and only like 22 backers. Yea...lol.

I feel slightly bad as I really do think they're pouring their heart into this new project or are very very excited about it, but they've committed so many missteps that it's really hard for anyone care or at best approach with guarded skepticism.

Competition is good...but not when Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen are so far out of your league.

#28 SaltBeef

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts
  • LocationOmni-mech cockpit.

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:44 PM

http://www.bing.com/...2E23F5&first=3s is this game based on the game Tachyon The Fringe from bout 2000 ish?. If it is that space sim rocked. I still have that game and it is one of the best **** fighter sims. Bruce Cambell did the voice acting for the main character. I am gonna play that old game again. Had a unique manuever mechanic that allowed you to cut thrust spin the craft rengage thrust almost a 90 turn.

Edited by SaltBeef, 09 September 2014 - 03:55 PM.

#29 Vidarok

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationVestibule of Creation

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:47 PM

You know, we could be talking down on this new competitor... but I just realized that more space sims is good. Maybe it won't turn out to be as grand as Star Citizen, but it could be considered to be just another alternative. Either way, it's far too early to judge based on the information available to us right now, so it's best to wait and see.

#30 Revengex

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 92 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:48 PM

I understand this new game Transverse has a cool idea. Its called "community warfare" and I can't wait to pay a huge amount to wait for it to never show.

How about this one:

http://www.elitedangerous.com/

Edited by Revengex, 09 September 2014 - 03:48 PM.

#31 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:50 PM

View PostVidarok, on 09 September 2014 - 03:47 PM, said:

You know, we could be talking down on this new competitor... but I just realized that more space sims is good. Maybe it won't turn out to be as grand as Star Citizen, but it could be considered to be just another alternative. Either way, it's far too early to judge based on the information available to us right now, so it's best to wait and see.

Competition is good, but it's a bit of a moot point if the developer has a horrible track record and is bad at handling everything they do. Add to the fact that most people have invested in ED and SC that anything near Trannyverse pay wise is going to flounder.

#32 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 September 2014 - 04:06 PM

View PostJack Gallows, on 09 September 2014 - 03:50 PM, said:

Trannyverse .

And thus shall the game be referred to forevermore. :D

#33 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 04:17 PM

View PostSaltBeef, on 09 September 2014 - 02:43 PM, said:

Why is it any different than Blizzard making Diablo,star craft, warcraft.........or Activision in the 90, s with mechwarrior and heavy gear. Gaming Companies make games some of them make more than just 1. Derp! Lucas arts made zillion starwars games...Sierra made gazillian games.

Beacause MWO is still far from completed regarding the features it was described as getting during the prebeta, and it will obviously recieve fewer resources now that PGI is making another game. If they say it will still recieve the same amount of sources, they are lying to you.

Blizzard on the other hand hasa good record, so they can get a bit more belief.

#34 Asmudius Heng

• Survivor
  • 2,429 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 09 September 2014 - 04:17 PM

I do find it odd they seem to be trying to enter what is possibly a crowded market with a very powerful competitor.

They will need to make it different and more niche to find a player base who will find it engaging.

I hope it does well though because that will help MWO as well - but I will no be playing or supporting it personally.

#35 Alex Warden

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts
  • Location...straying in the Inner Sphere...

Posted 09 September 2014 - 04:20 PM

LOOOOL ...you are seriously asking us to fund " the game of our dreams", while we here at MWO are still waiting for exactly that?

PGI, if this is not some bad joke or a hidden plan to make an actual MechWarrior Universe, i guess that´s the point where i am going to get really p*ssed...

i mean you show us this cinematic trailer that (i admit it) looks really nice, and in the same time you deny the possibility of staffing up on MWO´s team?

That stuff you showed there as an addition to MWO, okay...i´d fund that...but another no-name spacegame? no thanks, i´ll stick with Elite...

#36 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 04:22 PM

In ship to ship battles, your precision maneuvering and sharpshooting skills are the difference between victory and defeat. The physically-inspired close range combat will require strategic management of your ship's systems. With each burst of weapons fire, high speed turn, and shield deflection, your ship will expend power and build heat. Find holes in your enemy’s defenses and go in for the kill. Every battle you engage in will play out differently.

ghost heat coming to space....

#37 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 04:23 PM

I'll pledge....if the Paul isn't doing game balance.

#38 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 09 September 2014 - 04:26 PM

I have nothing against PGI trying to get into another game, I really don't.

But this just seems like a mistake. After the teaser, I was willing to see what the game would be like. I was even willing to jump on board if it was looking to be decent. But this... by all appearances, appears to be a problem. The problem is, PGI have a shaky history with MWO to the point I don't see many of us trusting them with a brand new game. That, and in their attempt to create a 'new' IP isn't going to work. It's not unique. It's not new. It's very cliche, and it's so obviously trying to jump on board with Elite and Star Citizen.

PGI, you've made a pretty good MechWarrior game. But it's not finished, and you're trying to jump on board with some of the biggest games out there today. I wish you luck, but I'm not holding my breath. I honestly think they would have gained a lot more support if they actually did take a spin on the space element of BattleTech- that's far more unique than a Wing Commander/EVE rip. Many of us have backed Elite or SC, and I don't think we're interested in yet another game which by all means offers very little new. In this case, PGI appears to simply be trying to jump on the latest craze, when what they need is something unique.

EDIT: And lo-and-behold, their pledge/starship system is nearly identical to Star Citizen. You guys do understand you're not going to get a good wrap from anybody, since it appears even from the outside you're stealing SC's ideas?

Edited by AUSwarrior24, 09 September 2014 - 04:30 PM.

#39 N0MAD

• 1,757 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 04:28 PM

PGi will be seeking crowd funding for P2. MWO was funded by MW fans because it was MW, now they will be seeking to fund on their reputation, i can see that going well.

#40 Yenaled

• Pip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 12 posts
  • LocationOhio, U.S.A.

Posted 09 September 2014 - 04:36 PM

Personally, I would like to know who the (last I checked anyway) 23 suckers are that were dumb enough to support the new game. If it was any MWO players, they should be ashamed and probably need to have their mental health checked.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users