Network Issues Last Night

23 replies to this topic

#1 Jon Cunningham

Senior Architect

• 159 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:31 AM

Hey folks,

Last night, two network connections between Newark <=> Los Angeles and Newark <=> Dallas are down. Somehow the lines got cut.

Newark is a major transit point for us (we're basically connected to much of the US through Newark) so traffic is being rerouted to deal with it.

So many of you will have experienced lag or desyncing, especially when the traffic was being re-routed around the cut, and high packet loss.

In order to maintain connectivity, we rerouted traffic through our chicago hook-up and SNJ.

So in case you experienced multiple spikes of lag last night, I thought I'd offer a detailed explanation of the issue.

The situation is: resolved.

Please let me know if any issues persist.

Also, yes, I understand there are also still some ISPs that are having high ping problems with our new DC. We do continue to work on resolving those; but they are a separate issue from the fiber cut that happened last night.

#2 Eboli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,148 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:47 AM

Thanks for letting us know. Much appreciated.

Cheers
Eboli

#3 Sarlic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 11 September 2014 - 11:01 AM

Thank you for the update regarding this matter. But what about the 'normal' desyncing? Any progress on that?

#4 Sabazial

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • Point Commander
  • 725 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 11 September 2014 - 12:33 PM

Thanks for the info Jon.

#5 Koniks

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 01:30 PM

Thanks for the update. My ping is still all over the place today, just had a match where it bounced from 24 to 1600+ through most of the game.

#6 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 11 September 2014 - 01:39 PM

Thanks for letting us know. (It's good to know it's not a progressive worsening of the existing unresolved desyncing issue.)

#7 RalphyNoPants

• PipPip
  • CS 2023 Referee
  • CS 2023 Referee
  • 34 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationKaetetôã

Posted 11 September 2014 - 04:45 PM

Thanks for your help this weekend Jon.

#8 lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 918 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:36 PM

*thumbs up*

Thank you for the communication!

#9 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:36 AM

Bad lag every third match or so in game at the moment. Maybe every second match even. One or two spikes.

I would normally attribute this to busy servers, but isnt the right time for it at the moment, unless alot of over seas players on? Also its usually a rare spike even then.

Edited by Johnny Z, 12 September 2014 - 02:43 AM.

#10 Fiona Marshe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 756 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 12 September 2014 - 03:12 AM

Some poor tradesman just got a multi-million dollar repair bill...

#11 Deathsiege

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 177 posts
  • LocationBay Area CA

Posted 12 September 2014 - 11:59 AM

Does this have anything to do with why I could only communicate with my team and not all mechs? I normally issue a challenge to the other team before drop.

#12 wanderer

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:18 PM

Thank you. Bad news or good, hearing it in a clear and timely manner is a positive thing.

#13 Khan Warlock Kell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 392 posts
  • LocationThe Grey Wolves Den

Posted 13 September 2014 - 10:21 AM

Even bad news is more palatable when delivered properly, thanks for the communication.

#14 Night Fury76

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 300 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 13 September 2014 - 12:39 PM

View PostJon Cunningham, on 11 September 2014 - 09:31 AM, said:

Hey folks,

Last night, two network connections between Newark <=> Los Angeles and Newark <=> Dallas are down. Somehow the lines got cut.

Newark is a major transit point for us (we're basically connected to much of the US through Newark) so traffic is being rerouted to deal with it.

So many of you will have experienced lag or desyncing, especially when the traffic was being re-routed around the cut, and high packet loss.

In order to maintain connectivity, we rerouted traffic through our chicago hook-up and SNJ.

So in case you experienced multiple spikes of lag last night, I thought I'd offer a detailed explanation of the issue.

The situation is: resolved.

Please let me know if any issues persist.

Also, yes, I understand there are also still some ISPs that are having high ping problems with our new DC. We do continue to work on resolving those; but they are a separate issue from the fiber cut that happened last night.

So you can reroute traffic to your servers, but you had nothing to do with telstras routing me through europe?
Look idk if i had a very successfull online game, i'd put the data centre near a distrubution hub of some sort, not at the end of a very long single corridor with only one entry/exit. If less things were broken in the game i'd worry you with a pm/support ticket, but I think you guys have your hands full atm with more important things.

Cheers

#15 Mark Brandhauber

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 291 posts
  • LocationYorkshire United Kingdom

Posted 13 September 2014 - 12:59 PM

Reporting same massive disconnects/desync group queue river city assault 2154 bst. european. Matches affected by massive disconnects and desyncs should not be recorded on my stats as the results are completely out of my hands.

#16 Iceplague

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 14 September 2014 - 03:05 AM

I wouldn't say the problem is fixed. From time to time I get a massive LAG spike and either I loose connection or if I die in the game, it keeps the connection but yes, I've died in gameplay. I've noticed a lot of other people having the same issue as well, they suddenly just continue to move forward but are stuck in place. And then they warp of forward and keep on moving straight as zombies.

So how can you say that the problem is resolved???

#17 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 14 September 2014 - 03:36 PM

Thanks,
I live just south on the Great Lakes and found it odd i had a 150-1745 ping instead of the usual 30-50.
I assumed it was TimeWarner...(they arent that bad)

#18 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:27 PM

I skipped halfway across the caldera on terra therma last night it was pretty crazy

im in florida

Edited by Mechwarrior Buddah, 16 September 2014 - 04:28 PM.

#19 AztecD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 656 posts
  • LocationTijuana. MX

Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:41 PM

good to know it was not just me and my crappy modem dialup

#20 a gaijin

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationUS Naval Base, Yokosuka, Japan

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:44 PM

View PostJon Cunningham, on 11 September 2014 - 09:31 AM, said:

Hey folks, Last night, two network connections between Newark <=> Los Angeles and Newark <=> Dallas are down. Somehow the lines got cut. Newark is a major transit point for us (we're basically connected to much of the US through Newark) so traffic is being rerouted to deal with it. So many of you will have experienced lag or desyncing, especially when the traffic was being re-routed around the cut, and high packet loss. In order to maintain connectivity, we rerouted traffic through our chicago hook-up and SNJ. So in case you experienced multiple spikes of lag last night, I thought I'd offer a detailed explanation of the issue. The situation is: resolved. Please let me know if any issues persist. Also, yes, I understand there are also still some ISPs that are having high ping problems with our new DC. We do continue to work on resolving those; but they are a separate issue from the fiber cut that happened last night.

Appreciate the info very much.

I'm on fiber and even with that my ping was normally around 180ms but after the DC changed it's almost always close to 300ms.

Could you please provide advice to get a better ping in MWO?
Edit: I'm in Yokosuka, Japan (very close to Tokyo).

Edited by HeroForHire, 17 September 2014 - 09:45 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users