What Is The Most Universally Useful Color

24 replies to this topic

#1 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 09:09 AM

50% off sale on colors, I am looking for the right grey/black/gunmetal color for use with all my mercs

#2 Jody Von Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 12 September 2014 - 09:14 AM

I use the "Black / Gray Camo". They're not shiny, but more of a flat black like primer.

#3 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 12 September 2014 - 09:22 AM

Titanium White, IMO.

#4 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 12 September 2014 - 09:39 AM

View PostTerciel1976, on 12 September 2014 - 09:22 AM, said:

Titanium White, IMO.

LOL, you be trollin'

#5 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 10:28 AM

View PostJody Von Jedi, on 12 September 2014 - 09:39 AM, said:

LOL, you be trollin'

Uh...no? Most color schemes benefit from a good white and it's the best one in the game. Same goes for black, but there are several good options there.

#6 SnagaDance

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 12 September 2014 - 10:36 AM

Useful for cool camo schemes or useful as actual camouflage?

For the first Titanium White is great, as is the black (obsidian?). Matches with almost everything.

For the second the answer is actually, none. With not knowing on which planet you drop you can stand out in a dark mech on Alpine or in a light mech on Terra Therma, or somewhere in between.

Just use colours that you like, if they happen to provide good camo on the planet you end up fighting on then that's a nice bonus.

#7 Malcolm Vordermark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 11:16 AM

Pug green is the best color. It camouflages you to look like an ordinary pug player.

#8 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 12 September 2014 - 11:48 AM

View PostTerciel1976, on 12 September 2014 - 10:28 AM, said:

Uh...no? Most color schemes benefit from a good white and it's the best one in the game. Same goes for black, but there are several good options there.

I use it as an accent color too, but I thought the OP was asking about Black and Gray colors.

#9 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 12 September 2014 - 11:52 AM

View PostTerciel1976, on 12 September 2014 - 09:22 AM, said:

Titanium White, IMO.

^ First color I bought.

:)

Now if you mean "Useful" as in "Might potentially confer some in-game advantage", the only one my limited expermentation has pointed towards on that count is Phoenix gray. The other grays are their own colors, so to speak, but the Phoenix Gray will reflect ambient light from the current map better than any other color in the game. (I've got screenshots of this phenom somewhere, and when I start to care a little more I'll hunt them up)

Of course you have to have ordered a Phoenix pack, so that doesn't help a lot of folks.

#10 terrycloth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 769 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 11:53 AM

The default camo color is ugly as sin but actually blends in pretty well on most maps.

Camo black,basic purple, and basic orange (!) also blend in pretty well of the color I've unlocked.

Malachite... no. It *glows*. It looks really cool with basic purple, but it's noticeable.

#11 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 07:48 PM

View PostJody Von Jedi, on 12 September 2014 - 11:48 AM, said:

I use it as an accent color too, but I thought the OP was asking about Black and Gray colors.

<facepalm> Yeah, missed that. (Though it does list under greys...)

#12 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 13 September 2014 - 12:31 AM

Don't worry about using colors for camo. Go for gaudy. The brighter the better. It makes the enemy think twice. I have a Stalker with the dazzle camo pattern done in Pleion and Cobra Lt. Green. I also have a Raven 3L with the vagabond pattern, the same colors and obsidian black which looks very cool. I got the Cobra light green because that's the camo pattern on my 5D which uses shades of purple.

#13 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 13 September 2014 - 04:35 AM

I like to have colour contrast, so either a bright colour match with Obsidian Black or dark colour with Titanium White. Most of the grey are also useful too, but I like Ash Grey and Battleship Grey.
Personally I buy alot of purple, green and blue.

If you are in a Light, pick the most obnoxious colour you can find.

Edited by xengk, 13 September 2014 - 04:37 AM.

#14 DrSlamastika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 702 posts
  • LocationSlovakia

Posted 13 September 2014 - 05:59 AM

GRAY

#15 Grey Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 480 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 06:02 AM

My name.

#16 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 06:44 AM

A handful of greys, sand colors, and greens work a bit on some maps for camo.

PUG green helps you appear to be a noob, until they realize you're not, by which time it is hopefully too late.

More professional colors schemes have some intimidation factor to them. They say, "Yes, I spent real money on this because I am good enough to do so." Okay, sure, the pilot may actually be terrible and just have money to burn, but there is the impression of skill granted there. Also, having a uniquely colored mech acts as a good rallying point for a team, particularly if the pilot actually knows what he's doing and communicating.

Even more intimidating than the above - a LANCE of mechs in the same color scheme. Again, it screams "we're pros!" just as uniformed soldiers appear vs. randomly clad militia.

Brightly colored light mechs make for perfect "squirrels." They beg to be chased when clad in almost insulting, garish colors. It is surprising how often this works.

Edited by oldradagast, 13 September 2014 - 06:44 AM.

#17 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 13 September 2014 - 07:07 AM

Doesnt a lot o this 'camo' business depend on the viewer's graphics settings?

I have mine on lowest and i get minimum detail. Usually, even on my own mechs, the paintjobs done even cover the edges and most of my mech look kinda default gray regardless of paint.

The purpose of camo is to break up the outline of a silhouette, so pattern is prolly more important than color.

Black/ gaudy color, or White/gaudy color is likely the best visually for the maps we have.

Then again it may not even be relevant.

#18 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 07:48 AM

I did some more searching around and Camo Black was the most widely suggested, so that is what I bought this time. It seems to work pretty well, flat black rough texture, hard to see in woodland maps, nightime maps, and even maps that just have little pockets of black can work alright. Its just the snow maps that are really bad.

#19 Dauphni

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 473 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 14 September 2014 - 07:40 AM

With how washed out the visuals of this game are, colours on Mechs don't really show once you're beyond a certain distance, so trying to camouflage yourself isn't all that useful. Once you're close enough to properly admire someone's paintjob, you're pretty much already in brawling range. That said, breaking up the shapes of your Mech could be useful, so it becomes a little bit harder for an opponent to target individual components. For that end, patterns would be more useful than the colours themselves, though you'll still want to pick some with a bit of contrast to them.

But honestly, in my opinion the best use of colours in this game, is to make your Mech pretty/cool/intimidating. To that end, I've found that Obsidian Black is definitely the most versatile. It's the darkest and doesn't have a discernible hue like some of the other "blacks", so it can give a lot of pop to your other colours. If you're looking for something light instead, Camo Light Grey gives a similar pop, and even though it's not the lightest colour I think it makes the best "white" because it doesn't overpower the other colours. The regular Camo Grey is also decent in that it shows off your other colours fairly well, but it doesn't really make them stand out as much and the effect is more subdued.

#20 Acierocolotl

• PipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 64 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 12:30 PM

View Postoldradagast, on 13 September 2014 - 06:44 AM, said:

Brightly colored light mechs make for perfect "squirrels." They beg to be chased when clad in almost insulting, garish colors. It is surprising how often this works.

Tartrazine yellow and Frankenblack, using the Dazzle pattern, so I look like a running piece of caution tape.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users