Arm-Based Weapons

6 replies to this topic

#1 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 01:00 PM

I'm really uncomfortable with mechs that use anything except lasers in the arms. For one thing, the arms are relatively easy to destroy so putting a heavy strike weapon in an arm is really risky--lose the arm and you lose your strike weapon--and I'd much rather have 2 or 4 lasers on each arm so I could lose one and keep my pressure weapons. Also most of the scenarios that require you to unlock the arms from the torso are when you want to put pressure damage on the target to make it move into targeting cone of your torso weapons, and ammo-based weapons are bad for this because you use up your stock trying to get the mouse to move. Also arms let you peek a TAG laser around a corner easier than the torso (although a head-mounted TAG works for this too).

The problem I'm running into here is that there arent very many mechs with independent arms with 2+ laser hardpoints in each.

What do you guys do about this?

#2 Baddabing

Rookie

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 06:29 PM

actuation. it is a trade off for sure but being able to wave around your ac20 is what its about, plus you can peek it around corners and fire up and down in the end much more versatile than a torso mount. it also depends on mech type. the heavier mechs usually have primary fire weaps on the arms because it takes half a year to get your torso in the right spot for the right shot.

#3 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 06:40 PM

View PostUrsusMorologus, on 12 September 2014 - 01:00 PM, said:

I'm really uncomfortable with mechs that use anything except lasers in the arms. For one thing, the arms are relatively easy to destroy so putting a heavy strike weapon in an arm is really risky--lose the arm and you lose your strike weapon--and I'd much rather have 2 or 4 lasers on each arm so I could lose one and keep my pressure weapons. Also most of the scenarios that require you to unlock the arms from the torso are when you want to put pressure damage on the target to make it move into targeting cone of your torso weapons, and ammo-based weapons are bad for this because you use up your stock trying to get the mouse to move. Also arms let you peek a TAG laser around a corner easier than the torso (although a head-mounted TAG works for this too).

The problem I'm running into here is that there arent very many mechs with independent arms with 2+ laser hardpoints in each.

What do you guys do about this?

doesn't matter, trivial aspect and varies mech to mech.

some mechs have very small arms that barely get hit, where others it's totally susceptible

Edited by E N E R G Y, 27 September 2014 - 06:40 PM.

#4 Kelpaz

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationAzgariith

Posted 27 September 2014 - 06:41 PM

I love laser arms, the worst thing is if I have a mech that is restricted to torso mounted weapons.
Sure it's a trade off armor wise but to me it's worth it.

Use freelook with arms and you can aim them away from torso, this can be used to chase fast mechs or possible shoot two things at once.

#5 totgeboren

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 357 posts
  • LocationUmeå, Sweden

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:23 AM

In brawls or just moving over hills and corners with my Centurions I sometimes use freelook to use my left arm (which can't be used for anything else on the CN9) as a real shield while aiming far to the left with my right arm. In effect I get the benefits of torsotwisting while still being able to deliver firepower (also, the Cent is wide as a barn door if you just advance straight ahead). This is a mech with big arms, so they work great for shielding, but having a Gauss in the right is a real liability if you get flanked or are simply not careful.
With torso-mounted guns it's easier to stay in the fight efficiently until you die, but the trade-off is that your CT should get shot basically every time you shoot someone.

I guess it depends on how heavy a mech you got? More armour means it's easier to trade blows to the face, so you have less need of arms, but on the other hand heavier mechs turn and twist slower than smaller ones, so they benefit from arms more in that regard.

Edited by totgeboren, 01 October 2014 - 03:24 AM.

#6 Mad Ox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 358 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:28 AM

All a matter of making the mechs different from each other.

Arms offer more manueverablity then torso, add on Arm actuators get more manueverability.

Big thick arms great for shielding body Atlas or Centurion. Thin weedy arms harder to hit but main body then takes punishment Stormcrow.

For long range type shooting I prefer Body weapons little closer to your line of sight body is a bit more "Stable". Arms flexible to swerve after those annoying lights or in brawls with others usually put lighter weaponry in them faster firing weapons.

#7 Kain Demos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:08 AM

View PostMad Ox, on 01 October 2014 - 09:28 AM, said:

All a matter of making the mechs different from each other.

Arms offer more manueverablity then torso, add on Arm actuators get more manueverability.

Big thick arms great for shielding body Atlas or Centurion. Thin weedy arms harder to hit but main body then takes punishment Stormcrow.

For long range type shooting I prefer Body weapons little closer to your line of sight body is a bit more "Stable". Arms flexible to swerve after those annoying lights or in brawls with others usually put lighter weaponry in them faster firing weapons.

Overall I still prefer arm mounted weapons for the flexibility for tracking lights. As far as the stable, more prone to swerve aspect that can be refined as needed by holding shift while you aim.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users