Why Transverse? Why Not Battletech Verse?

17 replies to this topic

#1 Rattlehead NZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationAuckland New Zealand

Posted 12 September 2014 - 01:48 PM

Im confused why they didn't take the license one step further and use Battletech as their theme for a space game. It has plenty of history and they already have alot of their homework done as well.

Heres a couple things they could do to make it unique:

1) The systems fluctuating control could be linked to MWO's CW. So when Kurita takes a system in the MWO universe it would change in the BTVerse.

2) Accounts from MWO and BTVerse would be linked like how Cryptic has done with Startrek/NeverWinter etc.

3) Bonuses and discounts could be linked between the two. A clan could take a system via space and ground via the two games.

4) The game would be Unique and would show that PGI love the BT IP

5) The game could stay all player driven and feel like an extension of MWO rather than a seperate game all together.

6) Link RSS feeds with battle reports between the two games.

And the list could go on really. If they did this even with the layout they have now. Im sure the community would of been more *Holy %$#@* thats a great idea, making CW even more expanded than they could of ever imagined.

This would make me not only Pledge the new game, but even come back to MWO.

What you guys think?

EDIT: And Transverse apparently will have a crafting system. How about researching and building mechs and clan tech.... :)

Edited by Rattlehead NZ, 12 September 2014 - 01:51 PM.

#2 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:02 PM

Best guess is that BattleTech and MechWarrior are, in terms of videogames, two separate brands.

#3 Rattlehead NZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:16 PM

View PostHelmstif, on 12 September 2014 - 02:02 PM, said:

Best guess is that BattleTech and MechWarrior are, in terms of videogames, two separate brands.

Obviously, but without taking it too literal and having a linked space game with MWO universe would of been more of a favorite for the people.

#4 StompingOnTanks

• Bad Company
  • 2,972 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 12 September 2014 - 06:37 PM

View PostRattlehead NZ, on 12 September 2014 - 01:48 PM, said:

Im confused why they didn't take the license one step further and use Battletech as their theme for a space game. It has plenty of history and they already have alot of their homework done as well.

1) The systems fluctuating control could be linked to MWO's CW. So when Kurita takes a system in the MWO universe it would change in the BTVerse.

2) Accounts from MWO and BTVerse would be linked like how Cryptic has done with Startrek/NeverWinter etc.

3) Bonuses and discounts could be linked between the two. A clan could take a system via space and ground via the two games.

5) The game could stay all player driven and feel like an extension of MWO rather than a seperate game all together.

And the list could go on really. If they did this even with the layout they have now. Im sure the community would of been more *Holy %$#@* thats a great idea, making CW even more expanded than they could of ever imagined.

What you guys think?

EDIT: And Transverse apparently will have a crafting system. How about researching and building mechs and clan tech.... :)

Paul, are you reading this?

#5 Stormwolf

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 13 September 2014 - 12:31 AM

They can use both (from the very bottom of the page):

All material on this site is copyright © 2012-2013 Infinite Game Publishing Inc. / Édition Jeux Infinis Inc., Piranha Games Inc. and/or their respective licensors. All rights reserved. MechWarrior and Battletech are registered trade-marks of Microsoft Corporation and is used under license. All other trade-marks are the property of their respective owners; ® or ™ as indicated.

In the latest TT book it reads:

©2013 The Topps Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Alpha Strike, Quick Strike, BattleTech, BattleMech, ’Mech and MechWarrior are
registered trademarks and/or trademarks of The Topps Company, Inc., in the United States and/or other countries. Catalyst Game Labs and
the Catalyst Game Labs logo are trademarks of InMediaRes Production, LLC. Printed in USA.

#6 Rattlehead NZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 05:14 AM

View PostStormwolf, on 13 September 2014 - 12:31 AM, said:

They can use both (from the very bottom of the page):

All material on this site is copyright © 2012-2013 Infinite Game Publishing Inc. / Édition Jeux Infinis Inc., Piranha Games Inc. and/or their respective licensors. All rights reserved. MechWarrior and Battletech are registered trade-marks of Microsoft Corporation and is used under license. All other trade-marks are the property of their respective owners; ® or ™ as indicated.

In the latest TT book it reads:

©2013 The Topps Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Alpha Strike, Quick Strike, BattleTech, BattleMech, ’Mech and MechWarrior are
registered trademarks and/or trademarks of The Topps Company, Inc., in the United States and/or other countries. Catalyst Game Labs and
the Catalyst Game Labs logo are trademarks of InMediaRes Production, LLC. Printed in USA.

Thanks for the info Stormwolf.

I thought it was an obvious idea that would sucker me into throwing a few extra dollars over, start a new mech/clan unit and play and invest in another game...

#7 StompingOnTanks

• Bad Company
  • 2,972 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 13 September 2014 - 06:15 AM

A flight physics features already look a lot like AeroTech, according to what I read on the site. I'm not sure how far along they are with developing the starship models and engine, or how easy it would be to change it all over to a BattleTech theme, but I bet they could do it. I haven't bought a pre-order package for any game in my life but if PGI were to make an AeroTech game I (as well as a very good portion of the BT community, I'm sure) would be throwing money at them.

Seriously, it needs to be done. There hasn't been an AeroTech game yet (to my knowledge). Any such game made by PGI would not only attract all of the other BT fans but it would stick out in the space sim market, in a very, very good way. PGI, you have so much potential you could tap into here. Please consider it.

That's if anyone is even reading this... I hope so. :mellow:

#8 EpicWarrior202

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 03:54 PM

I think that the point of the game was that it would be 100% player driven, and that wouldn't go well with the battletech lore.

#9 Selbatrim

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 140 posts
  • LocationFRR

Posted 15 September 2014 - 03:41 AM

It could be player driven but lets face it. We the players do not want to be fillers, we want to be the heroes.

"You are the shopkeeper! Step right up, pay $250 and get your apron here..."

I'd pledge to a BT/MWO space game as long as it ties in with the ground game. Hell, let me get OUT of the mech and be dwarfed by the giants!!

#10 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 15 September 2014 - 03:50 AM

because a development studio needs to stay independend from other peoples/companies Licenses. When BT licenses are cancelled, what then?

#11 Pugnax

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 108 posts
  • LocationSometimes Canada

Posted 20 September 2014 - 06:47 AM

I think Transverse needs to do something like this to be viable. It's a cool concept but with Star Citizen and Elite: Dangerous already on the go it's a bad time to try to break into that genre.

Also there could be a great deal of depth in the space combat. The books often state that space battles are incredibly complex due to the manoeuvring of dropships etc. which take so long. I think it could make for a cool and unique space sim dynamic.

#12 Lightdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts
  • Locationwisconsin

Posted 20 September 2014 - 07:05 AM

View PostRattlehead NZ, on 12 September 2014 - 01:48 PM, said:

What you guys think?

please do not even suggest they bastardize battletech any farther than they already have, leave it alone

#13 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 20 September 2014 - 07:34 AM

i'm so happy that the community is behind this game!

Posted Image

#14 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 20 September 2014 - 05:10 PM

+1 for aerotech

#15 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:06 AM

Cost?

They have to pay someone to license BT/MW IP whereas with their own IP .. they own it :)

Flexibility?

MW/BT IP comes with a massive amount of lore. A complete timeline, history, expectations .. you will be criticised for whatever you do ... purists will want it one way, people who want a fun game to play may want it another, reality of game design will meet lore and split the community into many pieces ... just look at the effect of PGIs game design decisions in the vastly simpler mech combat aspects of BT/MW. With your own IP you set the story line ... nothing is wrong.

What is the downside?

They have no built in community to draw from ... they somehow have to build one ... however the game they are building looks like another space sim ... a la Star Citizen, Elite Dangerous, EVE online ... it is a crowded market place for "yet another" game

What could they do instead (or as well)?

IF PGI wants another project ... which they will try to fund using crowd-funding ... I would have suggested a single player off-line Mechwarrior title ... I would certainly toss some money at them to build it. There is an immense amount of synergy with MWO ... they can share engine and assets ... the network code is not an issue ... Cryengine was designed with single player games in mind ... their engineers are already familiar with the engine. The main issue here is probably the licensing ... I don't know if PGI has the rights to produce a single player game or if their license only extends to online games.

If the founders program for MWO could raise 5 mill for an online title ... I think the off-line could hit a million ... given the improvements that PGI has made recently with their community relationship.

Edited by Mawai, 21 September 2014 - 06:08 AM.

#16 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 08:45 AM

I believe it is because their original IP, which later turned out to not be that original but instead a renamed Wing Commander under license... kinda/sorta (details are shakey there)...

With it being an original "IP" there won't be millions of fans with their own idea of balance. Possibly fewer people complaining about how they design the game.

Honestly, I like the idea of say 2 or 3 separate games with different aspects of one universe, linked and tied together where playing each one can benefit you in the other two. Talk about monopolizing time and fanbase.
*Grows horns and a gotee.*

#17 Igorius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 215 posts
  • LocationA place beyond your dreams

Posted 21 September 2014 - 11:23 PM

This is correct.

MechWarrior, as a trademark, is owned wholly by Microsoft via its purchase of the IP from FASA when it closed (through the acquisition of the now-defunct FASA Interactive.) BattleTech, however, bounced first to WizKids but is currently owned by Topps. PGI rents the license for MechWarrior from Microsoft, while Catalyst is in a shared/long-term IP situation with Topps.

Long story short, the MechWarrior franchise includes any sim or action games/properties made to replicate the individual use of a BattleMech in combat. The BattleTech franchise, however, covers all other aspects of the universe. This includes backstory, development of future plotlines and Mech designs, and all aspects of the board game (including the Aerotech component.) The use of the term MechWarrior within BattleTech products, and vice versa, are part of a grandfathered in arrangement due to the nature of both IPs. That's why you'll see trademark notices in both products, referencing the sibling IP.

#18 Testien Surepath

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 09:14 AM

This is what ive been thinking about for ages a connected mw game with a space game. It would be super epic. Earning c-bills in mechwarrior and using it to buy space ships would also be epic.

Edited by Testien Surepath, 06 October 2014 - 09:14 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users