- - - - -

Reccomend My Next Mech..

17 replies to this topic

#1 Jamjor

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 September 2014 - 02:44 PM

I like AC's and lasers, preferably large lasers. Not big into missiles. I need maneuverability and decent speed. Something people will fear.

I can dish out killer damage in my Firebrand, but am looking to switch it up a little.

I was thinking Raven 3L with large lasers or ER large lasers, or Cicada with ECM.

Any suggestions?

#2 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 13 September 2014 - 03:33 PM

Will you be playing in a unit in CW? Do you have a preference for IS or Clan?

#3 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 04:09 PM

View PostJamjor, on 13 September 2014 - 02:44 PM, said:

I like AC's and lasers, preferably large lasers. Not big into missiles. I need maneuverability and decent speed. Something people will fear.

I can dish out killer damage in my Firebrand, but am looking to switch it up a little.

I was thinking Raven 3L with large lasers or ER large lasers, or Cicada with ECM.

Any suggestions?

Timberwolf.

once again,

//endthread

#4 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 13 September 2014 - 04:18 PM

View PostE N E R G Y, on 13 September 2014 - 04:09 PM, said:

Timberwolf.

once again,

//endthread

Pretty much that if you are willing to either pay cash or wait, unless you wanted to stick to the IS.

#5 Jamjor

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 September 2014 - 04:18 PM

I'm a pug for now..

I'm leaning towards Banshee 3E. I know its not very maneuverable, but it seems like a good bet.

#6 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 13 September 2014 - 04:32 PM

I always had fun with a K2 with 4 large lasers and an XL300. The Catapult chassis is very xl friendly so you can get a lot of gear loaded with the weight savings of the XL300.

#7 bayoucowboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 186 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 07:08 PM

I agree with Redshift - Catapult K2 is the what you are looking for. If you don't want to do the missiles on the other Catapult variants, try the Cataphracts (good AC boaters but low arms)

#8 T-Rex

• PipPipPip
  • Colonel
  • Colonel
  • 79 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 08:15 PM

If you want to stay with hvy mechs the Cataphract is the mech you are looking for. Take a closer look at the CTF-3D its jumpjets coud be verry interesting for you.

If medium mechs are a option for you look at the Shadowhawk. Nice speed, jump jets and some nice AC builds are posible.

For assault mechs i woud recommend the Victor. Again nice Speed (for a 80t mech) jump jets and good build s with laser/PPC and AC

Edit:
The Raven 3L is a solid mech but it has a 100% different gameplay than a Firebrand. Its always shoot once and run, never stand still or you are toast and avoid close combat.

Edited by Aurean, 14 September 2014 - 08:21 PM.

#9 Lordred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 08:44 PM

Never use a Griffin, they made me rage more then any other mech I've used. They are flat horrible mechs.

#10 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 15 September 2014 - 02:10 AM

ShadowHawk. The most versatile mech among mediums (if not among all mechs). One of the best mechs for new players to start playing and learn the ropes.

View PostLordred, on 14 September 2014 - 08:44 PM, said:

Never use a Griffin, they made me rage more then any other mech I've used. They are flat horrible mechs.

@this, simply LOL. Griffin is THE best brawling medium in game.

#11 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 03:47 AM

I like AC's and lasers, preferably large lasers. Not big into missiles.

Liking acs' and lasers only,hmmm that is no different from buying a burger and only eating the top piece of bread/bun. You're missing the meat and veggies!

It's tricky to use missiles especially srms if you have high ping, but once you get the hang of it you'll find it's really good.

#12 Papapeshu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 183 posts
  • LocationGosport, Hampshire. UK

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:37 AM

Absolutely love my Jagers and as a ballistics nut I went straight on to Cataphratcts.
Big mistake! Took me ages to get used to essentially shooting from the hip wherwe I was so used to having the weapon mounts up high on the Jagers.
I'm not saying 'phracts are bad, far from it. Just don't jump into one when you're fresh out of a Jager.

I agree Catapults are the way to go. The K2 in particular.
Then go have some fun with another two variants rigged with SRMs.

#13 Demi-Precentor Konev

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 386 posts
  • LocationDnepropetrovsk, Galedon Military District

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:55 AM

View PostJamjor, on 13 September 2014 - 04:18 PM, said:

I'm a pug for now..

I'm leaning towards Banshee 3E. I know its not very maneuverable, but it seems like a good bet.

Koniving cooked this build up as a sort of joke, but it's honestly a decent build for playing regular ol' solo matches. And it's fun. I can't guarantee that smurfy is 100% on par with what he had as I'm doing it from memory, but you get the idea. The MedLas should be used sparingly as that is where the bulk of your heat generation comes from. Roll to protect your LT often. Otherwise, the high sustained DPS is great for chewing through armor. It shakes the hell out of anyone on the business end. An enemy 'Mech that meets you head-on will back down, or quickly get cored. Makes a hell of a noise too.

Edited by ArtyomBrusilov, 15 September 2014 - 04:56 AM.

#14 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:57 AM

View PostJamjor, on 13 September 2014 - 04:18 PM, said:

I'm a pug for now..

Banshee's a good mech, but is really, really sluggish until you get it elited.

#15 HlynkaCG

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationSitting on a 12x multiplier and voting for Terra Therma

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:38 AM

Considering your fondness for Lasers and ACs I would strongly recommend picking up a Hunchback if you haven't already. Likewise if you are enjoying your Jagers. the Blackjack is basically Jager-Lite.

Both mechs offer give you the chance to pack big guns in a compact and nimble package, and benefit from high-mounted hardpoints.

Edited by HlynkaCG, 15 September 2014 - 11:38 AM.

#16 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 01:11 PM

well you said, Large lasers, and a big AC.. well that is exactly what the cataphracts are. Load up an AC-20 and a couple of LL's and you are good to go.. (minor variations on that build with the different variants, but all are great fun!)

If you wan't lighter mechs, you are going to have to choose either or, because even the 55 toners can have trouble squeezing both, unless you go with a 50 or 55 with an XL and even then you are stuck with an Ac-10, due to weight concerns though you can AC-20 with some ML's which works well.

Fun mechs for a large AC, the centurion, is the most nimble, and HBK's come in second with it's great torso twist. The shawdow hawks, pretend to be nimble with their JJ's when used properly and is a pretty popular mech. Thy are also pretty flexible in their builds being a 55 toner. the hawks have the least amount of twist which can be an issue for some unlike the HBK which can practically shoot behind it self, or the Cent which is really fast and can dance well. (though that one has more missile variants)

for something smaller, and more laser oriented, perhaps with machine guns, Raven's or cicada's both fit that description. I have played all the mechs i listed, except for the Shadow hawks, and i can say all are a lot of fun, But they all play very different.. Both styles of these lighter mechs, do have an AC version, though you are pretty much going to be AC-5 or 10, and not much else on the raven, Even the cicada can't pack much extra with the 10.

You need to ask your self, do i wan't slower, and more firepower, (cataracts are very similar in roll to Jag's) while the mediums are lance support, and the raven/cicada are lance support/flanker scouts..

View PostRedshift2k5, on 13 September 2014 - 04:32 PM, said:

I always had fun with a K2 with 4 large lasers and an XL300. The Catapult chassis is very xl friendly so you can get a lot of gear loaded with the weight savings of the XL300.

I can understand this as a flexible thing.. But if you don't mind spending a little MC, the jester does this better, The dual AMS, and ability to add a much larger engine, combined with the C-bill bonus make it a much better choice. that said, it is MC only, and if you don't wan't to energy boat, you have no other option. :)

Edited by JC Daxion, 15 September 2014 - 01:13 PM.

#17 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 03:19 PM

Save up and wait for Timberwolf release in November.

If you MUST have something now, the Cataphract-3D and Muromets

If you do somehow end up getting a Catapult, please run no more than 4 points rear CT. The reason it is XL friendly is because its CT gets blown out IMMEDIATELY

Any suggestions?

#18 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:21 PM

Locust. For when you want an adrenaline rush and challenge that is rewarding. Or for when you want to troll everyone.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users