49 replies to this topic

#1 Topshot Tiger

• PipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 58 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 13 September 2014 - 08:39 PM

Which mech in your opinion are the most under-rated (and under-appreciated) mechs? I personally think Orion is a great mech, and i rarely see any of them on the battlefield.

#2 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 14 September 2014 - 11:07 AM

Any Battlemaster that isn't the 1S.

#3 Wrathful-Khan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 198 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 11:10 AM

Just off the top of my head I don't see a lot of Quickdraws

#4 Anassi

• PipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 03:19 PM

Gotta agree with the Adder.

It doesn't look like much at first but the little **** can fit a surprising amount of firepower for a mech it's size. Want two PPCs? Gotcha. Want four SRM6s? Gotcha. Want an AC20? Gotcha there too. All three examples are actually functional builds and not some troll builds with no armor and half an engine.

It also is pretty much the opposite of a priority target, if you pilot an Adder you will generally be left alone as long as you are not the only target in sight. I've had some seriously decent games with the Adder simply because I could run around and crotch-punch the bigger mechs nearly unmolested. And while the flamer is mostly useless it's just half a ton wasted. The Adder has enough pod space with it's undersized engine.

Edited by Anassi, 14 September 2014 - 03:22 PM.

#5 Shalune

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 647 posts
  • LocationCombination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell

Posted 15 September 2014 - 01:10 PM

Griffin

People complaining that mediums are useless was already a joke without this mech. It now holds the 55-ton medium messiah crown uncontested too thanks to how hard cLaser nerfs hit my beloved Sturmcrow.

Accuracy, speed, heat efficiency, maneuvering, and Centurion-like durability make this thing a god among mechs. If it was smaller it'd be unstoppable. As is, the only reason it's not loved more is the ignorance on how to play that leads to 'mediums suck' thinking in the first place.

#6 Tim East

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:35 PM

Locust, and also Dragon.

#7 Pezzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 616 posts
  • LocationBristol, Tennessee

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:43 PM

View PostTim East, on 15 September 2014 - 04:35 PM, said:

Locust, and also Dragon.

This. Both mechs are great, the locust just sucks because there's no reason to pilot a 20-ton mech when bigger mechs with more firepower and almost the same speed are available. Dragon used to shine because of the ballistic hardpoints, but this no longer holds true. Still a great mech though, and the wide arms allow the player to hide behind small mounds while shooting thier arm and torso-mounted weapons.

#8 T-Rex

• PipPipPip
  • Colonel
  • Colonel
  • 79 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:44 PM

100% Dragon

Challenging and rewarding at the same time. He fills the spot of a hvy mech and plays like a med mech. Verry frustrating to beginn with but if you ever get into him he can be a real beast.

I think its a real shame that you see so few of them.

#9 Vidarok

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationVestibule of Creation

Posted 21 September 2014 - 07:13 PM

The Quickdraw. It's just simply bad... lackluster weaponry and the only variant that can use ballistics is a Hero mech. Needs some serious buffs in the form of mech quirks. Perhaps something like a weapon cooldown bonus.

Also the Quickdraw is a huge target. But this problem never seems to be addressed.

Edited by Vidarok, 21 September 2014 - 07:13 PM.

#10 Hellzero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 118 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 05:05 AM

Trebuchet; hands down.

- It's not intended to be an aggressive mech. It requires patience as you are the "Line-Backer" literally. If you're at the fore-front of the whole team, you're doing it wrong.
  • You have a limited amount of everything, but its high agility & capability to be a backing LRM support for the whole team. You're the mid-field jack of all trades that can punch +500-800 damage; get 6 kills & be the game-winner for your team.
  • It's very underrated & disliked in the lore as well, so it's the biggest under-dog from the field of IS mechs in my opinion. No one wants it; but at the end of the day... In the right hands; it can turn the tide on its own(much like the Griffin can do as well).

Edited by Hellzero, 22 September 2014 - 05:13 AM.

#11 Voivode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 05:25 AM

Dragon and Awesome.

The XL friendliness of a Dragon gives you some very nice speed on a heavy mech. If you don't try to sit and snipe or barrel into the enemy ranks with it (which is what I usually see people in a Dragon do) you can really keep the enemy team off balance. Shoot them from an angle they aren't expecting to take fire from, then move along to another angle when they turn to engage.

The Awesome is a very good mech, it's just not an Atlas. Too many people take assault mechs and get into staring contests with other assault mechs or heavies. You'll lose a staring contest in an Awesome, so don't do it. Before the buff to the chassis, I thought they were great, but with the buff? Much higher DPS than you'll get from most anything else.

#12 Dagon Zur

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 142 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 05:27 AM

View PostHellzero, on 22 September 2014 - 05:05 AM, said:

Trebuchet; hands down.

- It's not intended to be an aggressive mech. It requires patience as you are the "Line-Backer" literally. If you're at the fore-front of the whole team, you're doing it wrong.
  • You have a limited amount of everything, but its high agility & capability to be a backing LRM support for the whole team. You're the mid-field jack of all trades that can punch +500-800 damage; get 6 kills & be the game-winner for your team.
  • It's very underrated & disliked in the lore as well, so it's the biggest under-dog from the field of IS mechs in my opinion. No one wants it; but at the end of the day... In the right hands; it can turn the tide on its own(much like the Griffin can do as well).

I agree 100%

(btw, my fav is TBT-7K with GAUSS+ERPPC XL280, endo, ferro, 3,5 tons ammo, 11DHS)

#13 Soul Tribunal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 606 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 September 2014 - 05:29 AM

Dragon for one, though that echos some of the comments already in this thread. I have had some seriously good games in all my variants. And because of the ultra large CT hitbox, I have little fear putting in an XL engine to trade for better weapons.
I actually have a lot of players poking fun the other night when I was running my Flame.
Which to me is okay since the enemy teams Stalker and Battlemaster didn't laugh as my AC10 tore into them :)

The only other one I don't see in huge quantities is the Blackjack! I have all 6 and actively play each one. Since I won't have a Bushwacker for a while this has become my go-to Mech.

-ST

#14 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:59 AM

I know a few mechs listed are defiantly some that are.. but how about these.

Raven 4X.. a great short range fighter..

Cataphract 2x, keep that AC-20, and a pair of LL's, and add in streaks and bap to help with Team support

Thunder bolts.. I don't see these around very often, as they aer sort of a jack of all trades mech. But i must say, they are fun. The one with JJ's i just love, But if you like to boat energy weapons these are pretty fun mechs.

#15 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 23 September 2014 - 11:10 AM

Hunchback J

2M and 6E????
Slimmer hunch also.

#16 DragonsMaw

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:54 PM

Dragon-1C

I've avoided playing Dragons since the 3/3/3 because I feel it's a bit ineffective for tying up a heavy mech slot but it's really challenging and rewarding to play. CT is huge which kinda sucks. Anyone on your flank can hit your CT but it's forward facing profile isn't too bad. Just gotta keep moving. XL vs. Std engines is a bit tricky though. Been sticking to Std 275 for the most part with speed tweak. Same speed as a stock 300 but a little more sluggish for turning. Great as a flank skirmisher. AC2/LRM10/4xML and BAP. Heat is kinda high but can be accommodated by playstyle. It's also nice to have representatives of most weapon classes. You got your dakka, your pew pew and your fwoosh fwoosh all in one go.

#17 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:09 PM

View PostShalune, on 15 September 2014 - 01:10 PM, said:

Griffin

People complaining that mediums are useless was already a joke without this mech. It now holds the 55-ton medium messiah crown uncontested too thanks to how hard cLaser nerfs hit my beloved Sturmcrow.

Accuracy, speed, heat efficiency, maneuvering, and Centurion-like durability make this thing a god among mechs. If it was smaller it'd be unstoppable. As is, the only reason it's not loved more is the ignorance on how to play that leads to 'mediums suck' thinking in the first place.

Yeah I'd say the Griffin, especially since Sparky may now be the best medium in the game. Shhh don't tell anyone.

#18 Dauphni

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 473 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 24 September 2014 - 07:54 AM

Locust

Sure, 99.9% of pilots will die horrible fiery deaths in them, but the ones that truly learn to master it are some of the scariest people on the battlefield. The skill cap for this mech is pretty much off the charts compared to any of the others, but the rewards that come with it are undeniable. I have seen Locusts rip through literally half a team, constantly dodging and weaving, not taking hits while placing perfect shots into any vulnerable parts. I have seen people being able to do this consistently across matches and they always leave me, as a Heavy pilot who'd barely last ten seconds in a Locust, completely humbled.

#19 Red Scorpion

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 02:55 AM

"JagerTrebuchet"
TBT-7k
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6b45a5f9daaff2b

Fire lasers first so you get used to clearing the chest over obstacles before firing the gauss in a way that it won't hit the hill you peek over. If you are careful/skilled with the movement you can barely peek the head over and then charge the gauss as you walk forward to peek and fire on the target. Also great for holding targets this way. The arms have some life in them to take some missiles if you are narc'd or tagged with targ-dep module. Zoom is required to use the ERLL effectively and get decent gauss snipes done. Gauss cooldown and range is best for wepmods. Runs cool enough to be like a 2ERLL raven. Suggest air strike and cool shot9 because you can annoy other peek snipers with air strike bombing path and cool shot gives you another 2 shots with the ERLL (two more peeks). It does 33 damage in opertune strikes and is meant to core the enemy. When you get good use the gauss first and both if they're shutdown since moving isn't a problem leading the gauss shot. Overheating using just gauss. The arms taking a few hits especially livens up the damage absorbtion.

Basically like being a gauss-erll sniper that runs 80. Gauss snipers often don't get JJ's so there's no hard feelings being a medium mech "Jager sniper". Also if you have trouble with lights, whatever you hit them best with will be present, laser or 2k-fps ballistic.

The mech has the best vertical torso angle in the game after eliting it. 42°! I can aim up at people firing at me from the hill in crimson strait's tallest hill while standing on the tunnels side exit if that is enough inscentive for this zombie sniper.

TBT-7K, vastly underrated and rarely seen. I like using 2AC5's and ERPPC too, if you want to run a near-meta heavy mech build. 4 tons ammo. Or if you miss brawly then a standard engine'd AC20+2SRM4's is entirely possible at the loss of no JJ's.

Edited by Red Scorpion, 12 October 2014 - 03:01 AM.

#20 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 12 October 2014 - 03:16 AM

The Awesome in my opinion.

While it suffer a barn CT problem. That mech can be deadly if underestimate.That big guy pack a lot of firepower and is a threat to be cared down. Because if you let him live. You will have your day ruined by PPC and LRMS.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users