Posted 15 October 2014 - 12:15 AM

Locust in action

#22 CmdrA

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 50 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:44 AM

I'm honestly going to say the commando, I see them the least out of any mechs overal, even the hero variant is rarely ever seen in any games I play. But as a commando pilot myself, I'd have to say people just don't see the potential the lil thing has. Especially the 2d, which is my favorite variant of all of them. The 3 missile hardpoints realy make it a little terror. If you chainfire 3 srm2's you can constantly barrage an enemy mech with 2 srms every half a second / second. I've been able to secure 300 - 500 dmg per match along with 2 - 4 kills now and then if the team i'm playing with is competent enough.

I've had people compliment my piloting of it because most people do not expect a commando to be so fearsome because of it being a small 25t light class. Sure most people using the commando will be running an XL engine, which means if you get knicked too many times you're gonna explode even if its not a CT kill. But the fact is you can pretty much dodge fire and run circles around people with a pretty potent salvo of weapons. Assault mechs don't stand a chance typically, especially if you can keep in pace of their movement changes and able to keep your ML and 3 SRM2's in his back.

Edited by Andor Chazar, 15 October 2014 - 06:47 AM.

#23 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:17 AM

Most underrated is probably the SDR-5V, often cited as completely useless, but when you give it 8 jump jets and an ERLL you learn how powerful it can be

#24 Voivode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:25 AM

View PostAndor Chazar, on 15 October 2014 - 06:44 AM, said:

I'm honestly going to say the commando, I see them the least out of any mechs overal, even the hero variant is rarely ever seen in any games I play. But as a commando pilot myself, I'd have to say people just don't see the potential the lil thing has. Especially the 2d, which is my favorite variant of all of them. The 3 missile hardpoints realy make it a little terror. If you chainfire 3 srm2's you can constantly barrage an enemy mech with 2 srms every half a second / second. I've been able to secure 300 - 500 dmg per match along with 2 - 4 kills now and then if the team i'm playing with is competent enough.

I've had people compliment my piloting of it because most people do not expect a commando to be so fearsome because of it being a small 25t light class. Sure most people using the commando will be running an XL engine, which means if you get knicked too many times you're gonna explode even if its not a CT kill. But the fact is you can pretty much dodge fire and run circles around people with a pretty potent salvo of weapons. Assault mechs don't stand a chance typically, especially if you can keep in pace of their movement changes and able to keep your ML and 3 SRM2's in his back.

Damn, I love my Commando's.

Here's my new answer.

Most underrated light: Commando
Most underrated medium: Trebuchet
Most underrated heavy: Dragon
Most underrated assault: Awesome

#25 Orbit Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 499 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:33 AM

I'm also gonna go with the spider 5V as the most underrated mech. 4JJ, Xl280, LPL is a beast. Have to laugh when people talk smack about the 5V.

#26 990Dreams

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:43 AM

Non-poptarting Victors (blaspheme, I know).

Commandos are a little more common now but still kinda rare.

#27 Josef Nader

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:44 AM

View PostEscef, on 14 September 2014 - 11:07 AM, said:

Any Battlemaster that isn't the 1S.

Quoted for truth. I've started playing my Battlemasters again for the first time since I mastered them back when they released, and I'm consistently demolishing Atlai, Dire Whales, and Stalkers with ease. It's agile, it's fast, it has enough hardpoints to pack a serious energy punch AND is capable of sporting large enough engines and enough heat sinks to keep it running cool. My BLR-1G has joined my AS7-D-DC and STK-3F on my list of "mechs I am seriously competitive in".

It's an under appreciated gem, and the only reason for it is that it's a brawling monster truck that got released at a time where long range combat was king.

#28 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:46 AM

The spider 5v can be pretty deadly wih 2mpl as well if you like getting up close and personal in your light mechs. And ALL those jump jets!!! ;)

Edited by 3xnihilo, 15 October 2014 - 07:47 AM.

#29 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 05:46 AM

The Spider 5V: It has all the jumpjets... and nothing else, really.

All Locusts: Too lightweight to really matter, and they don't bring anything special to the battlefield - no jumpjets, no ecm, nothing really. Oh, and the view out of their cockpit is horribly cramped and blocked with bars and such, making them even harder to use effectively.

Non-ECM Commandos: Slightly more durable locusts, basically.

Non-ECM Cicada: The lack of missiles here is what kills them. They are too large to dodge attacks like lights, so they need decent brawling weapons... but none have missiles. Instead, you can overheat nicely with too many energy weapons, or you can try to find something useful to do with too many ballistics slots on a 40 ton mech. This is just bad mech design, not bad implementation in MWO.

Trebuchet: Not really sure what it does... except wish it were a Griffin, which handles missiles better, has better hitboxes, etc.

Dragon: This one *could* have worked, save for that huge center torso that leaves it open to easy death.

Quickdraw: A 60-mech that is about as large as an 80-ton mech. Also comes lacking ballistics and with limited missile options... Not really good for anything, except a bit of energy-based jump sniping... and getting legged.

Thunderbolt: Decent hardpoints, but still a bit too large (and yet still smaller than the Quickdraw), and too focused on "balanced" loads to be that good.

Awesome: Oversized hitboxes and no ballistics. Still, it can pack decent firepower and serves as a solid LRM platform... but other mechs can do almost anything it can do better.

Battlemaster: Better than an Awesome since it's hitboxes are not as terrible and it has some ballistics options, but still considered poor.

Atlas-K: Infamous for being the most expensive IS mech and yet the weakest Atlas all at once. Also comes with an XL engine, which is silly in an Atlas. Not as bad if you can use the XL somewhere else.

#30 OznerpaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 977 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 20 October 2014 - 02:19 PM

BJ-1X - i started with the BJ-1 because i love the AC20 and i was having fun with the trial mech so i said screw it, but when i got the 1X i was in LOVE - now have over 400 games in it. it just fits me like a glove - you can't improve on this design - every single laser is at cockpit level

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...491e504c7a6bf94

i bought the Mad Cat pak on saturday and i figured i'd start leveling the worst mech of the bunch - the adder. boy was i wrong - as a joke threw on 2 cERPPCs/14 DHS which is an obscenely low amount of DHS, and i literally spend half of every game overheated on hot maps, with more than a few deaths by overheating. but 1.75 K/D and 420 avg damage/game? what the hells going on around here? and none are past basic yet lol

but as mentioned earlier, nobody pays attention to the little adder and i just get the job done with it. 2 high mounted energy weapons, literally half the height of the stormcrow - i'l take it over the Kit any day

since the double cERPPC was getting a little 'crazy with the heat' i tried dual cLPlas but i HATE the unleash time so tried a compromise - this is pretty much perfect. note: i don't even assign the flamer to a button - waste of a button slot

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...db0ad5e3ffd2486

Edited by JagdFlanker, 20 October 2014 - 02:22 PM.

#31 Ragnahawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 645 posts
  • LocationAce in RVN-3L, HBK-4P, CDA-2A, AS7-S, BNC-3M, Won Top Dog Tourny.. Those are my bests

Posted 20 October 2014 - 02:29 PM

Hunchback-4P. It looks weak, feels weak and gets a lot of attention with that hunch. Not a lot of people like to play it for that reason. A skilled pilot can make it near impossible to hit that hunch and deliver the killing blow. This all depends on your preference however.

#32 Trumpetteer

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 02:46 PM

View PostUite Dauphni, on 24 September 2014 - 07:54 AM, said:

Locust

Sure, 99.9% of pilots will die horrible fiery deaths in them, but the ones that truly learn to master it are some of the scariest people on the battlefield. The skill cap for this mech is pretty much off the charts compared to any of the others, but the rewards that come with it are undeniable. I have seen Locusts rip through literally half a team, constantly dodging and weaving, not taking hits while placing perfect shots into any vulnerable parts. I have seen people being able to do this consistently across matches and they always leave me, as a Heavy pilot who'd barely last ten seconds in a Locust, completely humbled.

To be honest, I've never seen a locust do that. I'm sure there's someone who does that well, but in a locust they're not the scariest people in the battlefield.

#33 The Flying Gecko

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 372 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 03:28 PM

View PostTrumpetteer, on 20 October 2014 - 02:46 PM, said:

To be honest, I've never seen a locust do that. I'm sure there's someone who does that well, but in a locust they're not the scariest people in the battlefield.

Be Afraid

Posted Image

Posted Image

#34 Trumpetteer

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 03:31 PM

With a maximum leg health of 24, I'm really not.

Also, I'm not sure I want to know how many virgins you sacrificed to get that score.

Edited by Trumpetteer, 20 October 2014 - 04:43 PM.

#35 Stingray Productions

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 03:54 PM

View PostTopshotTiger, on 13 September 2014 - 08:39 PM, said:

Which mech in your opinion are the most under-rated (and under-appreciated) mechs? I personally think Orion is a great mech, and i rarely see any of them on the battlefield.

According to sarna.net, the Orion was supposed to be one of the best IS mechs ever built. I'd definitely agree that they're underated. Even in MWO they still seem like quite a threat, What with the threat of the Clans, any dangerous mech that's talked about seems to be a clan mech.

#36 FindersWeepers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the CIA

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:18 AM

View PostUite Dauphni, on 24 September 2014 - 07:54 AM, said:

Locust

Sure, 99.9% of pilots will die horrible fiery deaths in them, but the ones that truly learn to master it are some of the scariest people on the battlefield. The skill cap for this mech is pretty much off the charts compared to any of the others, but the rewards that come with it are undeniable. I have seen Locusts rip through literally half a team, constantly dodging and weaving, not taking hits while placing perfect shots into any vulnerable parts. I have seen people being able to do this consistently across matches and they always leave me, as a Heavy pilot who'd barely last ten seconds in a Locust, completely humbled.

THEB33F ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

View PostJagdFlanker, on 20 October 2014 - 02:19 PM, said:

BJ-1X - i started with the BJ-1 because i love the AC20 and i was having fun with the trial mech so i said screw it, but when i got the 1X i was in LOVE - now have over 400 games in it. it just fits me like a glove - you can't improve on this design - every single laser is at cockpit level

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...491e504c7a6bf94

i bought the Mad Cat pak on saturday and i figured i'd start leveling the worst mech of the bunch - the adder. boy was i wrong - as a joke threw on 2 cERPPCs/14 DHS which is an obscenely low amount of DHS, and i literally spend half of every game overheated on hot maps, with more than a few deaths by overheating. but 1.75 K/D and 420 avg damage/game? what the hells going on around here? and none are past basic yet lol

but as mentioned earlier, nobody pays attention to the little adder and i just get the job done with it. 2 high mounted energy weapons, literally half the height of the stormcrow - i'l take it over the Kit any day

since the double cERPPC was getting a little 'crazy with the heat' i tried dual cLPlas but i HATE the unleash time so tried a compromise - this is pretty much perfect. note: i don't even assign the flamer to a button - waste of a button slot

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...db0ad5e3ffd2486

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c9549c11d338f81

I two shot Dire whales from the rear in this.
FEAR THE KIT FOX

#37 Trumpetteer

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:45 PM

View PostSep, on 22 October 2014 - 10:18 AM, said:

THEB33F ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c9549c11d338f81

I two shot Dire whales from the rear in this.
FEAR THE KIT FOX

Still scarier than a Lolcust.

#38 Aggravated Assault Mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 825 posts
  • Locationlocation location

Posted 06 November 2014 - 02:16 PM

View Postoldradagast, on 18 October 2014 - 05:46 AM, said:

hfghd

Thank you for not understanding what 'underrated' means.

#39 boka

Rookie

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 01:01 PM

View PostTrumpetteer, on 20 October 2014 - 02:46 PM, said:

It happens!

Posted Image

#40 Glaive-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 951 posts
  • LocationIn a cave

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:53 PM

Trebuchets are very underrated.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users