Catapult Hitboxes

6 replies to this topic

#1 Anassi

• PipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 03:27 AM

So, anyone else of the opinion that the Catapult could use a hitbox redesign?

As is getting cored CT is a death sentence. The center torso hitbox is so ludicrously gigantic that there is no way to shield yourself. The arms are comparatively small from the side and the side torsos are tiny, so even torso twisting will not help. Everyone with a halfway decent aim can still easily hit the CT from the side.

Having somewhat bigger side torsos would help tremendously in shielding, even if it means that running an XL gets more dangerous. That way you could at least spread the damage a bit instead of having every shot flung randomly at your general direction slamming into the CT.

#2 JSmith7784

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 139 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 14 September 2014 - 04:08 AM

I love the front CT hits when your back is to the enemy. My rear armor doesn't register damage and I watch my front CT flash instead. Happens in many mechs and is a pain in the rear.

#3 Sam Slade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,370 posts
  • LocationMega city 1

Posted 14 September 2014 - 04:19 AM

Tiny side torso = free XL engine. Considering that the Cat is a support chassis I'm really happy with the tiny side torsos... More ammo or heat sinks.

#4 Grey Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 480 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 04:25 AM

You know not what you ask for.

Currently, the Catapult is one of the safest XL mechs, affording it a huge amount of tonnage to decide what to run with without having to sacrifice speed. Want those dual gauss? Fit an XL and you're off to the races. LRM boat? Think about how much ammo you can fit. I've even run the C1 as an SRM6/4Mlas brawler, using the XL to my advantage. None of these are possible without the Catapult's XL safety.

#5 Anassi

• PipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 04:36 AM

The XL safety is pointless if everyone and their cat and their cat's squeaky toy can hit your CT from practically anywhere. I'm not asking for Stalker gigantomanic STs, just a little bit larger so that you can use your STs to shield yourself if your CT is cored. Right now they are so hilariously tiny that getting cored CT completely screws you over. The STs are just way too small to be helpful.

#6 Tahribator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 05:09 AM

I think the side profile is pretty good:

Posted Image

As long as you're not in a perfect twist your CT will suffer. It's a delicate balance though, ST's any bigger and this 'Mech might become XL unfriendly, which allows it to safely wield big guns to abuse those high mounted hardpoints. Remember the Awesome, it had CT heavy hitboxes before and a hitbox pass made XL's completely unviable on them. The 9M and PB are just death traps with XL engines.

After all, this isn't a 'Mech that supposed to tank damage. It's a strictly support 'Mech and the hitboxes and geometry kind of emphasizes that.

Edited by Tahribator, 14 September 2014 - 05:10 AM.

#7 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 06:01 PM

They already reworked this 'mech's hitboxes. It takes side-torso damage rather easily. Learn to twist. It was a "problem" before, but it's already been addressed, and the hitboxes are fine as they are.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users