Getting A New Router, But Not Sure Which One.

11 replies to this topic

#1 JSmith7784

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 139 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 14 September 2014 - 04:06 AM

Hello everyone,
We recently moved into a bigger house and I am in need of a new wireless router. I currently have a Dlink-615 and it's been working great. In most places I can get 25-33 down and 5 up (which is limited by TWC on the up end. My connection is supposed to be 50/5. I'm using a Motorola 6141 modem (personally owned) and wondering if a new router will increase my speeds, ping, hit detection in MWO etc?

My desktop is on a wired connection and our phones, iPads and laptop all on wireless.

I was looking at the Linksys WRT1900AC, Netgear Nighthawk 1900AC or any other suggestions. I've been happy with my Dlink router but it doesn't have a gigabit wired connection and the range doesn't reach to the kitchen and dining room very well.

Thanks for any advice.

#2 Sam Slade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,370 posts
  • LocationMega city 1

Posted 14 September 2014 - 05:22 AM

Get CAT6 cable and run directly from the modem to the PC, bypass the router.

Unless you're going to spring for something that'll allow you to manage bandwidth allocation there's not that much difference.

Edited by Sam Slade, 14 September 2014 - 05:29 AM.

#3 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 05:24 AM

Will it help your desktop performance? Only if you've got more than 100mbps download or there's really a hardware, firmware, or configuration issue that may have been overlooked. Range-wise you're probably okay with a range extender but there are definitely wireless routers out there with greater range. I have a Belkin 1200AC that has been awesome so far (running it for 2 years). Bottom line is whatever you get will be an upgrade, but you probably won't see much of a difference.

#4 ninjitsu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 402 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 11:18 AM

You're never going to get full performance out of wireless, it's half duplex. Wired is best. Although, running cat6 directly from the modem is pointless and ill advised.

#5 Sam Slade

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,370 posts
  • LocationMega city 1

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:44 PM

View Postninjitsu, on 14 September 2014 - 11:18 AM, said:

You're never going to get full performance out of wireless, it's half duplex. Wired is best. Although, running cat6 directly from the modem is pointless and ill advised.

Well, he can't run it from the node so...

#6 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:50 PM

The ASUS RT-N56U is still one of the best routers out there with high wan-to-lan throughput and massive number of concurrent sessions.

#7 xeromynd

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:07 PM

I recommend the new Linksys AC routers. I have the AC1600 myself and I turned my old router into a repeater (would've been unused otherwise) Great for covering more area of the house.

If you flash your old router with DD-WRT's firmware (http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index) you will have loads of options and can easily turn that old router into a repeater for free.

#8 JSmith7784

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 139 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:14 AM

I recently noticed I seem to have some packet loss with my current set up. Would this be a prime cause for hit detection issues and disconnects? I guess I'm also hoping a new router will reduce the packet loss issues and thus improve my game play experience.

Edited by JSmith7784, 16 September 2014 - 09:15 AM.

#9 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:48 PM

Looking over this ad, seems you have one thing in common with me though I have an older D-Link router to replace.
No access to 5GHz where it should keep the wireless out of range of some interference such as wireless phones.
Chart midway down shows the DIR-825 has it, not yours.
How did you like customer service? When I had to use it, it was sometimes hard to understand, part of why I will be looking at other companies plus I did not like the program for configuring the D-Link router, do not know how yours is.

#10 JSmith7784

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 139 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:56 PM

I have never tried the tech support for this router. I did update the firmware and browsed their forums to tweak a few things. Overall I have been very happy with the router. It's served me well for at least 5 years and MWO is the first game I have noticed issues with. Not sure if it's this game or if my router is in need of an upgrade. My main reason for upgrading now is better range and hopefully improved performance in MWO and future games.

#11 Clit Beastwood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:48 PM

The dir-615 is a little light on processor power. Try connecting your computer to your modem directly and see if gameplay improves- if it does, a router will make the difference you're looking for. I ran a dir-615+ with dd-wrt for a couple years, it was ok but did not like Mwo via a wired connection. I didn't use the wireless as it was pretty slow; I used some other access points. Asia routers are well regarded, check dealnews.com, there was a good deal on an... I think it was an nt66 for 99 bucks.

#12 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:28 AM

Have you tried something like Port Checker to see if the needed ports are open? I once had to change my D-Link to allow that, now I am just waiting until a new one gets installed.

There are 4 pages linked here for the DR-615 depending on version it looks like if you need to try port forwarding.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users