Infamous "you Are On An Island Comment"

No replies to this topic

#1 Russ Bullock

President

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 909 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 10:20 PM

Okay here is an example of something I was not planning on posting. However I received a PM from a very reasonable member of the community that expressed his desire to really give this whole "new leaf" thing a try. However he brought up the "Island Comment" as something from the past that still irked him and was looking for some explanation to the comment.

I think the reason I am finally responding about it now is that this player brought it up in a way that I had never heard before. I guess he felt it was a direct diss towards him as a legendary founder or that I was directing the comment towards Founders or original loyal players.

I simply did not know that we had very reasonable players that were founders, participating in the community under the premise that I called them out specifically as "being on an island".

As memory serves me I believe the particular conversation on twitter was with a user specifically discussing the finer points of heat scale (we don't need to turn this into a debate on that subject here, if things go well with this player council idea, I am sure we will be talking about it soon enough). Very hard to leave the points of the debate behind but essentially it ended in disagreement and I stated that he was "on an island". I simply meant that not everyone in the entire community felt the same way he did. Obviously I greatly over exaggerated in making a point since he was nowhere near alone in his opinion as well.

I shouldn't have made the statement, or at least at the time I should have presented more context. No...I should have refrained from the phrase and focused on providing the counter points themselves.

What I was most certainly not doing was calling out founders and similarly loyal customers as though the comment was directed at them and didn't appreciate their patronage. I can assure you at the time I thought it was between the two of us (a silly notion in my position I know), I don't even remember who.

I hope everyone will accept this explanation and apology as sincere and we can continue to move forward together.

I am locking the topic for clean viewing purposes. You may discuss in the forums where appropriate.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users