Stock 'mech Corps [-Tro]

35 replies to this topic

#1 Lt Kataren

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • 14 posts
  • LocationThis is Lt. Tesunie Kataren, reporting for duty.

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:04 AM

"Stock Mech is Best Mech!"
That's our motto.

If it isn't a stock mech, we don't drive it! Every member of this unit is dedicated to playing their mechs within their stock configurations. There is no shame here for our uncustomized ways! When you play a stock mech in the public matches, you always come out as a champion!

We are in the process of gathering like minded pilots who also appreciate the lore behind Battletech, and prefer mechs as they were meant to be played. It is recommended that each applicant (this is optional) create a new and separate account for this unit. We ask this for two reasons. First, it wont interfere with your main account's faction. Second, by playing nothing but stock mechs from the start of your account's life, Elo should assign you a score in relation to your abilities within those stock mechs, with no artificially inflated scores from your customized mechs getting in the way.

Our rules are simple, just always drive an uncustomized mech onto the fields of battle and show people the power of a stock mech! You can change your paint colors and place any modules you wish during live play, as we will need any and all advantages we can get to counter our, rather rich, opponents and their tricked out and expensive machines.

The unit colors, as they stand right now are Basic Blue and Basic Green (easy colors to get), and the last color is up to pilots choice. These colors are not enforced however (at this time).

We are open to discussion on some custom jobs, be they reasonably sound by lore standards, and welcome conversation of other mechs that can be created on a currently existing chassis. However, our current standing on any customs within unit mechs are "No. We'd rather see you in the mech stock as it appears in MW:O". As I said, we are open to discussion on this matter, but for now, we prefer to see people in MW:O stock mechs. Our stance on this is as such due to the fact that, most people in a match might not realize that your Spider is really an Urbanmech. I'd rather them see a Spider and get a Spider.

This unit is based on the personal challenge of using Stock Mechs in live matches. We intend to, as Community Warfare opens up, pursue doing our best within that system. Win or lose, will be proving a point.

For those that pursue this challenge with us, I'll inform you now, pick your mechs wisely. What mech you choose indicates your battlefield roles. Stock mechs are created with a role in mind, and preform well within those roles. If forced outside of those roles, they start to become hard pressed. Find what mechs work for your intended role within the game, and you should be well off. (Some opening suggestions I can make is the Dragon and many of the Hunchback chassis.)

You will find that, by playing stock only mechs, your skills within the game should increase. Stock mechs require a higher level of skill for heat management, ammo conservation, and tactically sound movements, as well as distinguishing your own role within your mech and maintaining that role within the team.

This unit supports the local event called "Stock Mech Monday", or SMM for short. If anyone wishes to preview how stock mechs play against each other, and learn how to use their stock mechs before jumping into a live match, join us for a SMM match or three. We are proud to support them, whom is the group who inspired me to create this group.

Join the unit or not, either way if you read this far already, then I wish you the best and shall see you on the battlefield within my Stock mechs!

(PS: Lt. Kataren is the Stock mech only account for Tesunie. From here on out, Tesunie shall be representing this thread, where Lt. Kataren shall be representing the unit. Either account is me, and I may respond to people with either account in this thread, depending upon which account is logged into the forum site at the time.)

#2 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:14 AM

This is Lt Kataren's main account. Anyone who wishes for a faster response should either post in this thread, or message this account directly. This account is on the forums more often.

For in game, it is probably best to friend both accounts, as right now I'm working on my Stock Mechs on Lt Kataren's account, but later may revert to my main account for events or occasional customized matches. I'm basically as likely to play my stock mech account as I am to use my main account. Just fair warning.

#3 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:42 PM

Just finished a SMM event. Lots of fun was had by all. Even had a brand new player to the game in there. He did amazing!

#4 GunnyKintaro 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:08 AM

Hey if your ever looking for a stock team to train with or just scrim hit up the Atlas Hunters...

#5 ThatDamnWolf

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationUsually not where he should be!

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:03 AM

Thanks for the offer AH! If you have a players that like to do stock matches, make sure to let them know we always welcome players on Stock Mech Monday!

#6 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:10 AM

View PostAH Osprey 02, on 16 September 2014 - 02:08 AM, said:

Hey if your ever looking for a stock team to train with or just scrim hit up the Atlas Hunters...

Roger! As Wolf said, if you like to play stock matches, hit up the Stock Mech Monday group. We get together for tech level 1 stock matches Monday, we have a tech era matches Wednesday, and we have some other stock match Saturday (I can't recall it's specifics as I'm never able to get on Saturdays).

Then again, the offer is always in reverse here, and if anyone you know is interested in a "stock mech only account challenge", they are more than welcomed to join into the ranks of this unit. Just saying the offer is open.

#7 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:23 PM

Later today, I'll be out on the fields of battle within my Stock Mech account, Lt Kataren. If you see me (him... whatever) in a Locust... feel sorry for me already! (Not really. I don't do bad for a stock Locust most matches, depending upon which one I'm using. Oh 1M stock... how I love you!)

#8 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 05:43 PM

Getting on with Lt Kataren again for some Stock Era Wednesday! (If it's running tonight.) Same group that runs SMM, so join up if you are interested in some stock mech on stock mech action!

#9 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 05:46 PM

Stock Mech Monday should be starting soon. Expect to see me there!

#10 t Khrist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 656 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Mitten

Posted 23 September 2014 - 02:27 PM

This sounds like a blast! I've known of SMM's for awhile now, and have always been interested. I shall have to see if any of the Grog Corps would like to participate as well, and plan a Monday to log on.

Great idea with the unit creation. And thank you for suggesting the alternate account, I'll probably go that route. An ingenious idea really :P.

#11 Dormax

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 97 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:28 PM

I have to admit that I'm intrigued by the idea. What I'm most concerned about though, would be playing in the stock 'mechs against other, obviously superior, custom 'mechs. Does the ELO standing really help that much? I'm not downing the concept. I think is super cool - just not sure if it would be fun or a continuous ROFLSTOMP. :P

Also, does the group support mixed IS and clan or is it purist one way or the other? If purist, do you handle clans as battle doctrine one-on-one challenges or is that not done (due to game mechanics or whatever)?

Edited by Dormax, 23 September 2014 - 03:29 PM.

#12 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 06:35 PM

View Postt Khrist, on 23 September 2014 - 02:27 PM, said:

Great idea with the unit creation. And thank you for suggesting the alternate account, I'll probably go that route. An ingenious idea really :P.

If you are interested, SMM is a great place to learn your mech without having to face the dreaded "super-custom-high-pin-point-damage-alpha-monsters" of most people's designs.

The alternate account is a strong suggestion so people can still play "competitively" and still own and use customized mechs. It also helps keep your Elo from getting overly inflated from your customized mechs as well.

View PostDormax, on 23 September 2014 - 03:28 PM, said:

I have to admit that I'm intrigued by the idea. What I'm most concerned about though, would be playing in the stock 'mechs against other, obviously superior, custom 'mechs. Does the ELO standing really help that much? I'm not downing the concept. I think is super cool - just not sure if it would be fun or a continuous ROFLSTOMP. :P

Also, does the group support mixed IS and clan or is it purist one way or the other? If purist, do you handle clans as battle doctrine one-on-one challenges or is that not done (due to game mechanics or whatever)?

Elo is as random as it always has been, but between the two accounts (main and stock), I do notice a difference with the people I tend to drop with, and the skill levels of said people. (I had been playing my main account for so long, I actually had forgotten how it felt to have someone creep onto my backside and keep me from backing up quickly. My new account, people use to do it to me when I was working through the cadet bonus. So, yes, Elo does have an impact, though a less noticeable one.)

As far as "facing superior custom mechs" I feel I do alright. Often times, I'm running midline for the team match scores. Then again, I've been running stock mechs in public matches for a while, and you do have to adjust your play style to match. A little more caution. A little more weapon/heat control. I wont claim it's easy, but it isn't exactly impossible either. If you can find the right mech to fit your playing style, and you use each of your stock mechs within it's intended role, you'd be amazed at how well they work. (For me, I'm an LRM user who likes to have a decent close range punch. For me, the Locust 1M and the Hunchback 4J match my playstyle. Those mechs I feel I do good work in. Other mechs... I'm a little out of my typical skill sets, but I can get them to work most times.)

To give a hint, and I consider myself anywhere from average to slightly above average pilot:
Posted Image

Locust 1M has 84 points of damage per match, reasonable I feel for a Locust after all. And stock at that. (I rarely get kills normally, so K/D isn't important to me.) The 4J has 225 damage per match. Overall, not bad for stock. Look at the other mechs damage per match and you'd probably see them being lower...

As far as IS/Clan? I personally don't care either way. However, the unit is being set up for CW, and is intended to be IS Merc faction related. I figured most people are IS jocks, as IS mechs also provide more selection most times in mech designs. (Also, SMM deals with tech level 1 mechs. There are no current clan mechs that are usable in SMM.) I don't know if this answers your question or not, but for PUG matches (or even group play) I don't care if people use Clan or IS mechs, as long as they are stock.

I will say as well, this is a challenge for ourselves. If you play super competitively and the drive to win is what is fun for you, I caution you that stock mechs are not usually competitive, and you will die a lot. For me, the challenge of using the stock mechs well in a match is what is fun for me. I like the challenge. Keeps things fresh for me. (And if gives me an account completely able to be used for SMM or any other stock even that may crop up over time. A second bonus!)

Edited by Tesunie, 23 September 2014 - 06:41 PM.

#13 ThatDamnWolf

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationUsually not where he should be!

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:29 AM

I think the key is always to only engage when it is advantageous for the mech you are piloting. Pick your targets carefully and don't over extend, you'll do fine even against the tricked out mechs. TEAMWORK!

Sadly my stock stats are not as good as Tesuie's but I still think they are reasonable. I am usually a brawler skirmisher pilot but have chosen to do fire support for right now, you know something new.

Posted Image

And for those that are interested in trying out stocks before you commit to this, they should be running tonight around 9. Stock Mech Era Wednesdays! It's clan invasion era tonight which means level 2 tech and any clan stocks. I'll try to be on but sadly my life has gotten very hectic... :wacko:

#14 RF Greywolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 543 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 25 September 2014 - 06:24 AM

Had some great matches on Stock Mech Era Wednesday. I think we are starting to get close to balance for tech 2 IS vs Clans. Now if only Tesunie would stop purposefully hunting me... :D

#15 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 06:08 PM

View PostRF Greywolf, on 25 September 2014 - 06:24 AM, said:

Had some great matches on Stock Mech Era Wednesday. I think we are starting to get close to balance for tech 2 IS vs Clans. Now if only Tesunie would stop purposefully hunting me... :D

All I have to say for myself is... "DIE CLANER SCUM!"
But seriously... how many times did I kill you? I lost count after... um... one? Did I even actually kill you once? :unsure: I don't even pay attention to those things. I just go in, wreck house, and die trying! (Notice the lack of or there?)

One of the problems I think we have with T2 balanced (particularly with Clan vs IS) is we can only balance the weight classes. We can't switch off lowest/highest damage dealers like we do on Monday, as not everyone has a clan mech, or is good/willing to play the two stock trial primes available (except for me, cause I'm crazy and will run those primes no problem).

PS: I'd like to mention, I finally got some (public) kills with my 4G! So... that 0.0 K/D is not there anymore! (It's now a 0.56 K/D! Crazy, aye?) Overall W/L for the account is 71/69 (a positive score...? Did not see that coming) and a general K/D of an amazing 0.29! I'm a killer! (I'm horrible at killing targets it seems, even on my main account. Damage though? Assists? I'm good there. Just can't seem to ever get that last poke into someone to kill them (before someone else does). But, it's a team game, so it's all good!)
Is it scary that my Stock account has a better win/loss rate than my main account?!? :blink:

#16 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:17 PM

SMM is starting soon! Just remember anyone who is joining that the Teamspeak server address has changed!

#17 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:56 AM

Tech Era Wednesday will be happening today. I might join when I get out of work later today. (Same Teamspeak and group that does SMM.)

#18 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:00 PM

Tech Era Wednesday is now in session.

Join me if you desire for some Successions War stock matches.

#19 norwoody

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:09 PM

Just started playing recently so i have 2 stock hunchbacks. Dont know where TS info is or how to get to SMM or Tech era wednesday.

#20 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:35 PM

View Postnorwoody, on 01 October 2014 - 07:09 PM, said:

Just started playing recently so i have 2 stock hunchbacks. Dont know where TS info is or how to get to SMM or Tech era wednesday.

SMM's thread on the forums.

Server info is located right in the first post with IP address and password. Unfortunately, Tech Era Wednesday has ended. There might be a Saturday group this week, but I don't be joining on that. Monday is your best day to try and join in, as there is a larger number of people who can play on a Monday. If you are interested, just keep your mechs stock, or keep the ability to revert them back to stock.

SMM has very simple rules. Stock mechs need to be tech level one. Tech level one is a specific set of equipment.
Tech 1 is:
No Double Heat Sinks.
No ECM.
No BAP.
No NARC.
No Gauss.
No Endo Steel.
No Fero Fibrous (spelling?)
No XL engines.
No Ultra ACs.
No Artemis.
(So also no clan mechs, as all clan mechs currently in the game have Double Heat Sinks and XL engines.)

If you aren't with Battletech lore, this is cannon tech level 1 right from the rule books.
(As a note, all Hunchbacks (besides the Hero) are tech level one when stock. If you leave those mechs stock, you would be fine.)

Sorry you couldn't join this week for Tech Era Wednesday. We played 3025, Succession Wars era (tech one). Your Hunchbacks would have been very welcomed, as well as another person on the teams.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users