Suggested Laptop Controller Setup?

3 replies to this topic

#1 Riverboat Sam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 209 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:53 AM

I game on an Alienware laptop. It handles MWO just fine, but it has no numeric keypad, so I can't do throttle settings. That's not the biggest deal. Firing groups is.

I find that taking my hand off the WASD keys to hit a number key is really bad because it forces me to stop moving = death. I tried mapping the buttons on my mouse to firing groups 3, 4, etc., but find that using any other mouse buttons than the standard left click, right click and scroll wheel tends to throw off my aim because of the way I have to twist my thumb around.

Anyone else have these issues? Anyone come up with a good solution to firing weapon groups 3 and up?

#2 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 12:03 PM

To have everything under my left hand: Remapped the throttle keys to ZXC (0, 70, 100) and left Shift (reverse). Kept WASD as is for precise movement. Kept weapon groups 123 on the default keys. Remapped the oher weapon groups to the mouse (3 button in my case).

With a 1 button mouse, that gives you 4 distinct weapon groups, which should be plenty. It also frees up the 456 keys for other stuff that needs to be easy to reach. If not using the other mouse buttons, consider moving some function keys (that do not require aiming), thus freeing more keys near WASD. Hope it helps.

#3 DEMAX51

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 15 September 2014 - 12:42 PM

View PostEnlil09, on 15 September 2014 - 11:53 AM, said:

I game on an Alienware laptop. It handles MWO just fine, but it has no numeric keypad, so I can't do throttle settings. That's not the biggest deal. Firing groups is.

I find that taking my hand off the WASD keys to hit a number key is really bad because it forces me to stop moving = death. I tried mapping the buttons on my mouse to firing groups 3, 4, etc., but find that using any other mouse buttons than the standard left click, right click and scroll wheel tends to throw off my aim because of the way I have to twist my thumb around.

Anyone else have these issues? Anyone come up with a good solution to firing weapon groups 3 and up?

You could look into a more basic gaming mouse, such as the Logitch G-series. No side/thumb buttons, but a nice six-button layout on top you can use your index and middle fingers to hit.

#4 Marvyn Dodgers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,859 posts
  • LocationCanuck transplanted in the US

Posted 16 September 2014 - 03:50 PM

Also, try asking tue question here
http://mwomercs.com/...re-accessories/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users