Guarantee The Servers Will Be Up For Years To Come?

111 replies to this topic

#21 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:25 PM

View PostAUSSIETROOPER4, on 15 September 2014 - 07:10 PM, said:

Before looking at dropping more money I would like to know how long at a minimum the servers are guaranteed to be running for into the future.

Colour me paranoid. But I want a guarantee that this fire sale is not going to end in tears.

I would be happy with 2 more years minimum gurantee.

P.S. Otherwise I will feel like my property is being forcibly removed when the servers shut.
I play pretty casually so would need time to get use out of what I buy.

Buy more MC, and you will likely to have longer MWO shelf life. Simple. really.

Currently they can keep up this arena death match game as long as people are still buying stuff.

Edited by El Bandito, 15 September 2014 - 08:26 PM.

#22 CocoaJin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:26 PM

View PostThisMachineKillsFascists, on 15 September 2014 - 08:11 PM, said:

The fact that they kinda try harder after the transverse fail and the pr desaster on reddit + before a package sale is reasonable and needed but it doesnt makes me have faith into someone who disspaointed me 2 years long.

The argue that igp was the black sheep or the bad evil who kept pgi away from completing project is unreasonable and unprooven. How ever many ppl like to blame Igp atm for the fails during the last years. I guess we ll see the truth in 6 months.

I wouldn't say its unreasonable to see how a publisher with a financial stake and contractual leverage in your project could insist upon certain schedules and aspects of your product development in their attempt to secure their return on their investment. If IGP was looking to expedite they return so they could invest in new projects or pad their bottom line in the interest of their own investors, they just might insist on PGI releasing mechs instead of maps. They might insist on more cockpit bangles and mech paints. They might insist certain game mechanics, or the order and schedule of thier release and fixes in order to maximize sales of mechs or modules, etc that benefited from those mechanics.

You have to remember, a developer is, for all intensive purposes, the publishers ***** until they can fulfill their financial obligation to the publisher for their investment in getting the game financed for development and promoted for release.

That being said, yeah, I guess we will see over the next 6 months...but if you are going to wait and see, you might as well be positive about it...because the whole, "I'm a victim of PGI" whine and contemptuous attitude gets tired real quick...especially in light of all the good they are doing right here and now. And I mean that in the most respectful and grown man to pressumably another kind of way.

#23 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:29 PM

View PostThisMachineKillsFascists, on 15 September 2014 - 07:19 PM, said:

°°HELP cant Breath°°

Sorry, didn't think you'd have a problem with the length.

#24 ThisMachineKillsFascists

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:51 PM

View PostRuss Bullock, on 15 September 2014 - 08:24 PM, said:

The license is in our hands until up to 2020.

I personally expect to be making MWO at least that long.

Everyone can make their own decision, we appreciate every vote of confidence

Give me a list of questions to answer and I will review it.

Along with a promise that you and every other alt account will focus on moving forward.

Official Developer Update
[Jun 15, 2012 5:00 PM UTC

Hey MechWarrior fans,

[As we head towards the Founder’s Program, I wanted to update our loyal fans on what exactly they are buying, the MWO beta timeline and what this means for you. A press release and email will go out on June 19th to launch the program, but for extra clarity I’ll go over some critical points here for you:

We will achieve our Closed Beta 1 status (measured by a goal of sending out 10,000 beta keys in total), in the next week or so. Our next step is introducing the Founder’s Program time-limited offer (which includes new details!), launching Tuesday June 19th which guarantees Closed Beta access on the Injection date.

On July 10th, we are scheduled to move to our production hardware, allowing many thousands of simultaneous players to enjoy the game, also known internally as the launch of Closed Beta 2. As we continue to ramp up the beta testers (drawn from those early purchasers of the Founder’s Program), the next milestone is the injection of the Founder’s Program assets on Aug. 7th.

Yes, this date has shifted from July 17th to Aug 7th simply due to some key production hardware being delayed in arriving at the data center – proper testing on the new production hardware, ensures confidence the system can handle the demands of the exclusive Founder’s Program, hence the shift. [/color]

Come Aug 7th when the patrons of the Founder’s Program gain access, the game will still be in Closed Beta 2, with on-going patches added every 2 weeks; therefore, not every feature we have discussed on the web site will be playable. We expect to have each of the features we have announced and discussed on the website (with one exception), in the game by the Open Beta date (which cannot yet be announced other than Summer 2012).

The one exception is the Community Warfare pillar which is a complex system but extremely important. In not wanting to delay the game, logic dictates it be added post-launch. Once fans are completely familiar with creating their 'Mech and pilot trees, the depth of Community Warfare will be added, with the core of the community experience projected to be in-game within 90 days of open beta.

http://mwomercs.com/...eveloper-update

The above text is from russ. Written in 2012. He said that cw will be in game (not sure if hole Cw or just phase 1 ) 90 days after open Beta.

So my question to you russ:

How did it come that you made the promise about the cw and an announced eta but you couldnt deliver it?

Cw was supposed to be in game in January/February 2013 in game.

Then cw was again announced for summer/fall 2013 and hasnt been added too.

Later- end 2013 and 2014. the ui2 was the reason for the delayed cw. The famous "bottleneck"

Edited by ThisMachineKillsFascists, 15 September 2014 - 09:22 PM.

#25 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:00 PM

I honestly cant see MWO going anywhere for at least 2 years. Its still the only mechwarrior game in town. And battletech still has a hugely rabid fanbase.

#26 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:07 PM

View PostThisMachineKillsFascists, on 15 September 2014 - 08:51 PM, said:

How did it come that you made the promise about the cw and an eta but you couldnt deliver it?

I've all but given up on getting an explaination as to why they were saying 90 days, May, Aug, Fall, soontm, then turn up at launch party with a power point presentaion and Eckman stating engineers were going to start implimentations. While the whole time we were under the impression that is was right around the corner. In hind sight we know those projected time frames couldn't possibly be met but were said anyway.

Main reason I don't let this go at this point is every time I bring it up some buttmad dev temp bans me on the forum.

#27 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:19 PM

View PostThisMachineKillsFascists, on 15 September 2014 - 08:51 PM, said:

[color=#555555]Official Developer Update[/color]
[color=#555555]Jun 15, 2012 5:00 PM UTC[/color]

[color=#555555]Hey MechWarrior fans, [/color]

[color=#555555]As we head towards the Founder’s Program, I wanted to update our loyal fans on what exactly they are buying, the MWO beta timeline and what this means for you. A press release and email will go out on June 19th to launch the program, but for extra clarity I’ll go over some critical points here for you: [/color]

[color=#555555]We will achieve our Closed Beta 1 status (measured by a goal of sending out 10,000 beta keys in total), in the next week or so. Our next step is introducing the Founder’s Program time-limited offer (which includes new details!), launching Tuesday June 19th which guarantees Closed Beta access on the Injection date. [/color]

[color=#555555]On July 10th, we are scheduled to move to our production hardware, allowing many thousands of simultaneous players to enjoy the game, also known internally as the launch of Closed Beta 2. As we continue to ramp up the beta testers (drawn from those early purchasers of the Founder’s Program), the next milestone is the injection of the Founder’s Program assets on Aug. 7th. [/color]

[color=#555555]Yes, this date has shifted from July 17th to Aug 7th simply due to some key production hardware being delayed in arriving at the data center – proper testing on the new production hardware, ensures confidence the system can handle the demands of the exclusive Founder’s Program, hence the shift. [/color]

[color=#555555]Come Aug 7th when the patrons of the Founder’s Program gain access, the game will still be in Closed Beta 2, with on-going patches added every 2 weeks; therefore, not every feature we have discussed on the web site will be playable. We expect to have each of the features we have announced and discussed on the website (with one exception), in the game by the Open Beta date (which cannot yet be announced other than Summer 2012). [/color]

[color=#555555]The one exception is the Community Warfare pillar which is a complex system but extremely important. In not wanting to delay the game, logic dictates it be added post-launch. Once fans are completely familiar with creating their 'Mech and pilot trees, the depth of Community Warfare will be added, with the core of the community experience projected to be in-game within 90 days of open beta.[/color]

The above text is from russ. Written in 2012. He said that cw will be in game (not sure if hole Cw or just phase 1 ) 90 days after open Beta.

How did it come that you made the promise about the cw and an announced eta but you couldnt deliver it?

Cw was supposed to be in game in January/February 2013 in game.

Then cw was again announced for summer/fall 2013 and hasnt been added too.

Later- end 2013 and 2014. the ui2 was the reason for the delayed cw. The famous "bottleneck"

Sometimes it's best to move on(even if it means stepping away from MWO)...holding on(in this case literally, since you pulled that thread out of your ass so quickly)to negativity for so long will eventually cause it to entrench itself so deep into you psyche that you become dependent on it. Bitterness is like a drug, it tricks you into keeping it thriving by inticing you to constantly seek justification for that bitterness...you'll literally feel a bit down, like something is missing, as the bitterness begins to wane and fade, so sadly, you'll seek more justification to keep it up.

You'll eventually be consumed with maintaining the bitterness even as your subconscious begins to realize it's not worth keeping up...but part of you, that place deep inside you, is now so corrupted by the darkness that it won't relinquish the negativity. That little seed of negativity has begun to taint your perception of things, it robs your ability enjoy some things, it won't let you see the good in somethings...you lose sight of what's important...you won't know it, but you are an addict. Addicted to bitterness and angst.

Break that cycle dude, it's not doing you a damn bit of good. If it don't produce positive fruit in your life, why in the hell should you waste time and energy on it. Seek a place of peace and contempment, seek the good in stuff and run with it. Life is too short to miss out on the good stuff because you are stuck on negativity.

#28 ThisMachineKillsFascists

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:26 PM

View PostCocoaJin, on 15 September 2014 - 09:19 PM, said:

Sometimes it's best to move on(even if it means stepping away from MWO)...holding on(in this case literally, since you pulled that thread out of your ass so quickly)to negativity for so long will eventually cause it to entrench itself so deep into you psyche that you become dependent on it. Bitterness is like a drug, it tricks you into keeping it thriving by inticing you to constantly seek justification for that bitterness...you'll literally feel a bit down, like something is missing, as the bitterness begins to wane and fade, so sadly, you'll seek more justification to keep it up.

You'll eventually be consumed with maintaining the bitterness even as your subconscious begins to realize it's not worth keeping up...but part of you, that place deep inside you, is now so corrupted by the darkness that it won't relinquish the negativity. That little seed of negativity has begun to taint your perception of things, it robs your ability enjoy some things, it won't let you see the good in somethings...you lose sight of what's important...you won't know it, but you are an addict. Addicted to bitterness and angst.

Break that cycle dude, it's not doing you a damn bit of good. If it don't produce positive fruit in your life, why in the hell should you waste time and energy on it. Seek a place of peace and contempment, seek the good in stuff and run with it. Life is too short to miss out on the good stuff because you are stuck on negativity.

So giving russ a question he asked for is "negativity" "bitterness" and "angst"

Cool story Brah

Gonna ignore your destructive posts from now on

Edited by ThisMachineKillsFascists, 15 September 2014 - 09:27 PM.

#29 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:26 PM

View PostGhogiel, on 15 September 2014 - 09:07 PM, said:

I've all but given up on getting an explaination as to why they were saying 90 days, May, Aug, Fall, soontm, then turn up at launch party with a power point presentaion and Eckman stating engineers were going to start implimentations. While the whole time we were under the impression that is was right around the corner. In hind sight we know those projected time frames couldn't possibly be met but were said anyway.

Main reason I don't let this go at this point is every time I bring it up some buttmad dev temp bans me on the forum.

At this point, there is nothing to be gained from having it answered...especially if we get it by Dec 21st anyway. In the meantime, if you enjoy playing the game, then enjoy the game. If they release something you'll enjoy, buy it. Focus on the joy the game brings you...and if it doesn't, the best thing we can do is step away.

The worst thing we can do is loiter here out of spite...you'll get sucked into that bitterness addiction, and that's not beneficial for anyone.

#30 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:28 PM

View PostCocoaJin, on 15 September 2014 - 09:19 PM, said:

lol Dr. Phil.

#31 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:29 PM

No guarantees in this life, buddy. They'll keep making the game so long as it is profitable to do so, thats about as good as you'll get from anyone.

#32 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:36 PM

View PostThisMachineKillsFascists, on 15 September 2014 - 09:26 PM, said:

So giving russ a question he asked for is "negativity" "bitterness" and "angst"

Cool story Brah

Gonna ignore your destructive posts from now on

Not the question so much, but the posts preceding it suggest this is the case. In addition to how readily you pulled a 2yr thread out of no where. It could suggest you've been holding on to this source of hurt for sometime. That you have let it consume you. You've put a lot thought to this, you've run your battery of evidence over and over in your head...and when given an opportunity, you pull out your damning proof like you keep a copy in your back pocket all the time, that you sleep with a copy under your pillow, that you have a spare copy in the bathroom that you read over while brushing your teeth in the morning.

#33 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:36 PM

View PostCocoaJin, on 15 September 2014 - 09:26 PM, said:

At this point, there is nothing to be gained from having it answered...especially if we get it by Dec 21st anyway. In the meantime, if you enjoy playing the game, then enjoy the game. If they release something you'll enjoy, buy it. Focus on the joy the game brings you...and if it doesn't, the best thing we can do is step away.

The worst thing we can do is loiter here out of spite...you'll get sucked into that bitterness addiction, and that's not beneficial for anyone.

Letting BS slide and be swep under the table makes you part of the problem as far as I am concerned. It was never the players running around in splatcaps 2 shotting assaults.

#34 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:37 PM

View PostGhogiel, on 15 September 2014 - 09:28 PM, said:

lol Dr. Phil.

:) lol...not all. You just come to learn some stuff over the decades if you pay attention.

#35 ThisMachineKillsFascists

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:38 PM

View PostCocoaJin, on 15 September 2014 - 09:36 PM, said:

Not the question so much, but the posts preceding it suggest this is the case. In addition to how readily you pulled a 2yr thread out of no where. It could suggest you've been holding on to this source of hurt for sometime. That you have let it consume you. You've put a lot thought to this, you've run your battery of evidence over and over in your head...and when given an opportunity, you pull out your damning proof like you keep a copy in your back pocket all the time, that you sleep with a copy under your pillow, that you have a spare copy in the bathroom that you read over while brushing your teeth in the morning.

google: 90 days community warfare Mwo

and bingo.. that easy if ya know how the world works.

Now gonna ignore you for real

#36 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:41 PM

There isn't and will not be a guarantee, any number of things could happen to make the service not viable anymore. Is it very likely for the game to sink after all the work and money invested in it? No, but it could still happen, and that's the risk you run as a consumer.

If you're not confident you won't get enough value out of your purchase then just don't spend (more) money on it.

#37 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:44 PM

View PostGhogiel, on 15 September 2014 - 09:36 PM, said:

Letting BS slide and be swep under the table makes you part of the problem as far as I am concerned. It was never the players running around in splatcaps 2 shotting assaults.

No...I'm not saying let it slide. But let's really honest, as a community, we have made our concerns heard. Harping on it after the fact, especially if the other party is no quite ready to speak on it won't change anything. Sometimes you make concessions for people being people...especially when they are making a strong effort to make up for it.

It's just like with your boys. Sometimes they do something they aren't proud of, it may have resulted in them hurting you...but you know when they are sorry, even if they can't say it....and sometime, for a time, that's ok. You patch things up and move on, and at some point, theyll be able to come around and finally apologize. And when they do, you realize you didn't need the apology in the first place, it's good to receive, you appreciate it...but you already knew it all along.

#38 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:44 PM

View PostCocoaJin, on 15 September 2014 - 09:37 PM, said:

:) lol...not all. You just come to learn some stuff over the decades if you pay attention.

This "some stuff" sure seems a lot like BS to me. Your opinion on the psychological health of people who actually want to enage in a dialoge with PGI, one that Russ has openly asked to be engaged in, is facinating, tell us more.

#39 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:45 PM

View PostThisMachineKillsFascists, on 15 September 2014 - 09:38 PM, said:

google: 90 days community warfare Mwo

and bingo.. that easy if ya know how the world works.

Now gonna ignore you for real

You can't...I'm already in your head. I'm helping you heal, if you like it or not. :)

#40 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:49 PM

View PostCocoaJin, on 15 September 2014 - 09:44 PM, said:

No...I'm not saying let it slide. But let's really honest, as a community, we have made our concerns heard. Harping on it after the fact, especially if the other party is no quite ready to speak on it won't change anything. Sometimes you make concessions for people being people...especially when they are making a strong effort to make up for it.

It's just like with your boys. Sometimes they do something they aren't proud of, it may have resulted in them hurting you...but you know when they are sorry, even if they can't say it....and sometime, for a time, that's ok. You patch things up and move on, and at some point, theyll be able to come around and finally apologize. And when they do, you realize you didn't need the apology in the first place, it's good to receive, you appreciate it...but you already knew it all along.

I think you misunderstand the situation here. One we aren't buddies. The relationship is one of buyer/seller. Secondly stop speaking for Russ, How the hell do you know that he wants to shut down communication?

And who is talking about appolgies? Not me. Idgaf about them. :shrug:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users