Guarantee The Servers Will Be Up For Years To Come?

111 replies to this topic

#41 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:49 PM

View PostAUSSIETROOPER4, on 15 September 2014 - 07:24 PM, said:

From what I understand there used to be a lot more servers around the world that have already shut?

Where did you get that from? They never had more than one server (farm), they recently moved that when they got rid of IGP. There has never been any other servers "around the world".

#42 CocoaJin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:49 PM

View PostGhogiel, on 15 September 2014 - 09:44 PM, said:

This "some stuff" sure seems a lot like BS to me. Your opinion on the psychological health of people who actually want to enage in a dialoge with PGI, one that Russ has openly asked to be engaged in, is facinating, tell us more.

I have no issue with his dialogue with Russ...and once it was invited by Russ, I wouldn't expect [the OP] to step away from trying to scratch his 2yr itch.

But the observation and offering was based first and foremost on his earlier posts.

Edit:
Edited within "[ ]" for clarity.

Edited by CocoaJin, 15 September 2014 - 10:17 PM.

#43 EgoSlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:51 PM

View PostAUSSIETROOPER4, on 15 September 2014 - 07:10 PM, said:

Before looking at dropping more money I would like to know how long at a minimum the servers are guaranteed to be running for into the future.

Colour me paranoid. But I want a guarantee that this fire sale is not going to end in tears.

I would be happy with 2 more years minimum gurantee.

P.S. Otherwise I will feel like my property is being forcibly removed when the servers shut.
I play pretty casually so would need time to get use out of what I buy.

Not going to happen. Show me where Blizzard tells you how many years the WoW and Diablo III servers are going to be online for and you might have some basis for your request. But no publisher is going to commit to that because they don't know their future income.

But here's the thing: if you and most other players are afraid to spend money out of fear the servers will shut down, it will come true.

Either you enjoy the game and see value in what you are spending, or you don't. There isn't any guaranteed availability, so if you need years worth of play time out of a Mech pack purchase, it's a risk that you won't get your money's worth. Only you can answer the question if it's worth the risk.

EDIT:
PS - It's not a fire sale. Mech packs, and to a certain extent Hero Mechs, give large cash infusions to supplant the daily sales of MC/"micro" transactions.

Edited by EgoSlayer, 15 September 2014 - 09:54 PM.

#44 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:02 PM

View PostGhogiel, on 15 September 2014 - 09:49 PM, said:

I think you misunderstand the situation here. One we aren't buddies. The relationship is one of buyer/seller. Secondly stop speaking for Russ, How the hell do you know that he wants to shut down communication?

And who is talking about appolgies? Not me. Idgaf about them. :shrug:

I don't believe I said anything about Russ wanting to shut down communications(I'll re-read my response and correct if there is a typo). I'm not intending to imply he seeking an explicit apology...I was using a parallel scenario. It doesn't matter if you are friends are not...but this is a relationship. All relationships are sustained by the same core requirements. It doesn't matter if it's a relationship of friends, family, lovers, buy/seller, student/teacher, etc, etc.

The goal was to use a parallel relationship system in which both parties find some mutual benefit and enjoyment from their relationship transactions...but in this case, one side as failed in some aspect of the relationship to maintain their part of the agreement. Assuming the one who feel short still finds the sustaining of the relationship as beneficial, they might seek to make up for their transgressions through other means, especially if as of yet they aren't read to speak upon their shortcomings directly.

#45 Kilo 40

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts
  • Locationin my moms basement, covered in cheeto dust

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:11 PM

View PostThisMachineKillsFascists, on 15 September 2014 - 08:11 PM, said:

The argue that igp was the black sheep or the bad evil who kept pgi away from completing project is unreasonable and unprooven.

how is it unreasonable?

The way IGP has handled MWT, I'd say it sounds very reasonable.

#46 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:14 PM

View PostCocoaJin, on 15 September 2014 - 10:02 PM, said:

All relationships are sustained by the same core requirements. It doesn't matter if it's a relationship of friends, family, lovers, buy/seller, student/teacher, etc, etc.

that core requirement is called communication. And that's all I asked for. And Russ apparently wants it too. But we'll see won't we.

#47 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:24 PM

View PostGhogiel, on 15 September 2014 - 10:14 PM, said:

that core requirement is called communication. And that's all I asked for. And Russ apparently wants it too. But we'll see won't we.

That's certainly one...I'm happy you agree. As previously stated, I had no intentions of implying Russ doesn't want to talk, how could I, he openly invited the OP to raise his question. I was saying that sometimes it's best to move on. To let the bitterness go. Even if the opportunity arose to allow you to scratch your itch, sometimes it's best to just pass it up and release it. I'm saying that sometimes it's not worth it to push someone to talk about things until they are ready...and in the meantime, proceed positively(assuming the other side is meeting you half way in the relationship) until they are ready. In this case, Russ and PGI may be ready.

Edited by CocoaJin, 15 September 2014 - 10:30 PM.

#48 TB Freelancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 783 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:28 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 15 September 2014 - 07:22 PM, said:

There Is exactly one way to guarantee that.

People have to spend money.

Otherwise, nothing PGI can do will matter.

That said, I honestly believe PGI is looking to create a real name for itself with MWO after a history of so many run of the mill games. I see the effort. I just don't see them abandoning support of the game until they are financially forced to. Conservatively, two years is a pretty safe bet on this game, 3 tops.

If we get news of another licensing extension, I'd be looking at 4 to 7 years and a major (graphic/engine) update along the way.

#49 ThisMachineKillsFascists

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:52 PM

View PostKilo 40, on 15 September 2014 - 10:11 PM, said:

how is it unreasonable?

The way IGP has handled MWT, I'd say it sounds very reasonable.

As i said in the post you quoted half: guess we ll see in 6 months. As long theresnt an offical announcement about that igp was the reason why many projects have been canceled or couldnt finished, its all guesses and assumes.

#50 Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 684 posts
  • LocationCocoa Beach, FL

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:59 PM

If they keep momentum with balancing, mechs and improving map design (including addings more maps regularly), there's no reason this would ever die out. There's always going to be a hardcore Battletech following and if those of us are kept happy, then yeah. Personally, I've got 4 friends to start playing the game with me and they absolutely love it. We already spend so much money in games like Smite and LoL, not to mention our WoW subscriptions so I can only imagine they will soon be dumping cash into MWO as well to have those extra perks. They love the Deathmatch battles, not so much the resource and base capping maps tho. I can't argue there. I think maps are a HUGE way to keep players more than anything. Sometimes, doing 50 matches in a day of the same (sometimes 10 times in a row) maps can get a bit bleh...

Anywho, I'm a nobody... just adding my $0.02

#51 Kilo 40

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:01 PM

View PostThisMachineKillsFascists, on 15 September 2014 - 10:52 PM, said:

As i said in the post you quoted half: guess we ll see in 6 months. As long theresnt an offical announcement about that igp was the reason why many projects have been canceled or couldnt finished, its all guesses and assumes.

yes, but you said those "guesses and assumes" were "unreasonable", when on the contrary, they are very reasonable.

#52 ThisMachineKillsFascists

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:08 PM

View PostKilo 40, on 15 September 2014 - 11:01 PM, said:

yes, but you said those "guesses and assumes" were "unreasonable", when on the contrary, they are very reasonable.

Perhaps for you. I can understand that. But still i dont know how the relation between Pgi and Igp looked like.

#53 Kilo 40

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:14 PM

View PostThisMachineKillsFascists, on 15 September 2014 - 11:08 PM, said:

Perhaps for you. I can understand that. But still i dont know how the relation between Pgi and Igp looked like.

IGP was PGI's publisher. Publishers tell developers what to do. It's that way across the entire industry.

#54 ThisMachineKillsFascists

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:19 PM

View PostKilo 40, on 15 September 2014 - 11:14 PM, said:

IGP was PGI's publisher. Publishers tell developers what to do. It's that way across the entire industry.

That we know but how did their relation look like? was it good-Bad? Did igp forbit pgi some projects? Did igp build pressure on pgi?Did Igp force Pgi to implement mechanics like 3Pv which the community didnt want to see? Did igp force pgi to release mainly mechs and not the content many of the community wouldve like to see f.e: More maps, more gamemodes, Graphical optimization, and so on.

Publisher and developer realtionships dont have to be necessaryly bad.

We dunno how their relation exactly looked like.. sooo...

Edited by ThisMachineKillsFascists, 15 September 2014 - 11:38 PM.

#55 Kilo 40

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:26 PM

View PostThisMachineKillsFascists, on 15 September 2014 - 11:19 PM, said:

sooo....assume it was 100% PGIs fault?

seems legit.

#56 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:33 PM

Don't buy MC to "support" PGI, because you will be disappointed. PGI cannot please everyone and sooner or later they will change something against your will.

Instead, spend money to get the things you want. If you enjoy your Cataphract and want something better, buy a Timber Wolf. You will have a great time and nobody can take away that experience.

It's like paying to see a movie. Eventually, that movie won't be available to watch in a cinema, but if it was great you will remember it for years to come.

#57 ThisMachineKillsFascists

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:35 PM

View PostKilo 40, on 15 September 2014 - 11:26 PM, said:

sooo....assume it was 100% PGIs fault?

seems legit.

You start to make stuff up and try to lay things into my mouth which i never said.

Seems legit

Edited by ThisMachineKillsFascists, 15 September 2014 - 11:35 PM.

#58 Kilo 40

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:48 PM

View PostThisMachineKillsFascists, on 15 September 2014 - 11:35 PM, said:

You start to make stuff up and try to lay things into my mouth which i never said.

Seems legit

right

#59 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:50 PM

View PostThisMachineKillsFascists, on 15 September 2014 - 11:19 PM, said:

That we know but how did their relation look like? was it good-Bad? Did igp forbit pgi some projects? Did igp build pressure on pgi? Did igp force pgi to release mainly mechs and not the content many of the community wouldve like to see f.e: More maps, more gamemodes, Graphical optimization, and so on.

Publisher and developer realtionships dont have to be necessaryly bad.

I'm not so sure if you could categorize it as good or bad...it just seems publishers are expected to be able to dictate initial dev paths within the first year or so in order to insure a return on their investment. It seems developers are more or less required to adhere to their wishes due to contractual agreements that allowed for the investment.

So observing development patterns before and after the publishers is paid back and relinquishes influence of the dev team is probably a good way of determining what and where publisher impacts existed.

Most publisher behavior is influenced by their short term interest in the game's development. They dont and can't care about a games long term concerns...they can only concern themselves with insuring the return on their investment in that first 1-2 years, so they can remain profitable and gave funds to invest in another dev project.

So good, bad?...it's likely irrelevant...it's just the way it goes. No publisher will ever leave the success of their firm solely in the hands of the dev team. Instead, as the major financial contributor, they will secure their financial position by dictating to the developer what needs to be done in that 1-2yr period so they can turn their profit...and then leave.

#60 Kraven Kor

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:47 AM

View PostRuss Bullock, on 15 September 2014 - 08:24 PM, said:

Give me a list of questions to answer and I will review it.

Along with a promise that you and every other alt account will focus on moving forward.

"Yeah, good luck with that." ;)

(And that is just a joke about how easily forumites can go from glowing praise to rabid discontent, and not at all a poke at PGI.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users