Guarantee The Servers Will Be Up For Years To Come?

111 replies to this topic

#1 AUSSIETROOPER4

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 180 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:10 PM

Before looking at dropping more money I would like to know how long at a minimum the servers are guaranteed to be running for into the future.

Colour me paranoid. But I want a guarantee that this fire sale is not going to end in tears.

I would be happy with 2 more years minimum gurantee.

P.S. Otherwise I will feel like my property is being forcibly removed when the servers shut.
I play pretty casually so would need time to get use out of what I buy.

Edited by AUSSIETROOPER4, 15 September 2014 - 07:12 PM.

#2 ThisMachineKillsFascists

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:13 PM

Many ppl would be happy if they close the doors but offically pgi said that they leased the Ip until 2018.

Anyhow they can close the servers anytime if they want

Edited by ThisMachineKillsFascists, 15 September 2014 - 07:14 PM.

#3 AUSSIETROOPER4

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 180 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:16 PM

Thanks Machine. But the IP alone is no guarantee they will not sell the IP and close the servers.

P.S. In Australia we get 2-300 ping. With regard to servers it would be great to have local servers here (which I have never experienced. Any plans to allow server leasing?

#4 CocoaJin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:18 PM

Sometimes you just have go in faith. If you will enjoy the purchased product, then buy it...life is too short.

Also, remember, this game is jow the devs put good on the table, they aren't going to take the success or failure of this game lightly...especially since there is no gaurantee of a new project to get pulled into if this project fails. Lastly, PGI won't shut down the servers if there is a profit to be made keeping them up. So really, the lifespan of the game is more up to us the players, than the devs...and guess what? Buying your pack is integral to keeping the servers up. So do your part and yourself a favor...if you like it, buy it.

Edited by CocoaJin, 15 September 2014 - 07:23 PM.

#5 ThisMachineKillsFascists

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:19 PM

View PostCocoaJin, on 15 September 2014 - 07:18 PM, said:

Sometimes you just have go in faith. If you will enjoy the purchased product, then buy it...life is too short.

Dont get me wrong but faith and pgi?

°°HELP cant Breath°°

#6 AUSSIETROOPER4

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 180 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:21 PM

lol. They seem to be turning a new leaf and I do like the game for all it's faults.
But I am learning quickly for the little time I have been playing - around 6 months off and on, that PGI make promises like maps and CW are all we (whole team it was stated I believe) are doing now the clans have been released. Now we see an absolute tonne of new mechs.

Edited by AUSSIETROOPER4, 15 September 2014 - 07:23 PM.

#7 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:22 PM

There Is exactly one way to guarantee that.

People have to spend money.

Otherwise, nothing PGI can do will matter.

#8 Mal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 995 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:23 PM

View PostAUSSIETROOPER4, on 15 September 2014 - 07:10 PM, said:

Before looking at dropping more money I would like to know how long at a minimum the servers are guaranteed to be running for into the future.

Colour me paranoid. But I want a guarantee that this fire sale is not going to end in tears.

P.S. Otherwise I will feel like my property is being forcibly removed when the servers shut.

I don't think there is a single game company, that will "guarantee" how long they plan on keeping the servers up for, even Blizzard won't put a date on it.

The best you're (probably) going to get, is what's been said before.. they've got the IP till 2018, assuming we keep playing, I don't see why they'd bring the servers down before then.

#9 AUSSIETROOPER4

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 180 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:24 PM

From what I understand there used to be a lot more servers around the world that have already shut?

#10 ThisMachineKillsFascists

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:26 PM

View PostAUSSIETROOPER4, on 15 September 2014 - 07:24 PM, said:

From what I understand there used to be a lot more servers around the world that have already shut?

NO, never have been. just one in Canada

#11 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:29 PM

View PostThisMachineKillsFascists, on 15 September 2014 - 07:19 PM, said:

Dont get me wrong but faith and pgi?

°°HELP cant Breath°°

Then have faith in human nature to do what they can to secure a roof over thier head, a paycheck on Friday and a meal on the table. Have faith that the devs aren't much different than you and me...if you were in their position right now, would you give up or try harder.

#12 SaltBeef

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts
  • LocationOmni-mech cockpit.

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:31 PM

I do not think we have anything to worry about they will be here that long No prob.

#13 ThisMachineKillsFascists

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:35 PM

View PostCocoaJin, on 15 September 2014 - 07:29 PM, said:

Then have faith in human nature to do what they can to secure a roof over thier head, a paycheck on Friday and a meal on the table. Have faith that the devs aren't much different than you and me...if you were in their position right now, would you give up or try harder.

I wouldnt have promised the community soo much stuff i cant add due to my employee capacity or due to the financial situation. . That wouldve bring me into a much more confortable situation than Pgi currently has.

CW in 60-90 days © for example greets you

Edited by ThisMachineKillsFascists, 15 September 2014 - 07:36 PM.

#14 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:03 PM

View PostThisMachineKillsFascists, on 15 September 2014 - 07:35 PM, said:

I wouldnt have promised the community soo much stuff i cant add due to my employee capacity or due to the financial situation. . That wouldve bring me into a much more confortable situation than Pgi currently has.

CW in 60-90 days © for example greets you

How do you know it's too much for their staff right now? I'm not talking about the past...in fact, we don't even know if the promises were to much for the staff back then...for all we know, IGP kept holding them back from completing various projects. But the question was what would you be doing right now if you were in their current position, give up or try harder?

Edited by CocoaJin, 15 September 2014 - 08:03 PM.

#15 ThisMachineKillsFascists

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:11 PM

View PostCocoaJin, on 15 September 2014 - 08:03 PM, said:

How do you know it's too much for their staff right now? I'm not talking about the past...in fact, we don't even know if the promises were to much for the staff back then...for all we know, IGP kept holding them back from completing various projects. But the question was what would you be doing right now if you were in their current position, give up or try harder?

The fact that they kinda try harder after the transverse fail and the pr desaster on reddit + before a package sale is reasonable and needed but it doesnt makes me have faith into someone who disspaointed me 2 years long.

The argue that igp was the black sheep or the bad evil who kept pgi away from completing project is unreasonable and unprooven. How ever many ppl like to blame Igp atm for the fails during the last years. I guess we ll see the truth in 6 months.

#16 Dracol

• The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:16 PM

$15 at the movies buys you a couple hours of entertainment. $30 on a mech will get you hours of enjoyment. Worse case scenario, the very worst, is the game closes in a few months. Between now and then, you can easily get more hours per dollar enjoyment out of you money compared to nearly any other form of entertainment.

View PostThisMachineKillsFascists, on 15 September 2014 - 08:11 PM, said:

The argue that igp was the black sheep or the bad evil who kept pgi away from completing project is unreasonable and unprooven. How ever many ppl like to blame Igp atm for the fails during the last years. I guess we ll see the truth in 6 months.

What IGP's role was in development progress may or maynot have been substantial. And as you say, we'll see how they do over the long term.

In the short term, we've already seen how PGI's communication was hampered. Being able to directly communicate with the player base without having to go through IGP has been a breath of fresh air from the dev team.

#17 ThisMachineKillsFascists

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:20 PM

I would like to see a comment from russ about the promises they made and which they couldnt realize. An offical reason spoken out from russ would end the rumors and would help pgi to gain "trust"back

Edited by ThisMachineKillsFascists, 15 September 2014 - 08:20 PM.

#18 Russ Bullock

President

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 909 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:24 PM

The license is in our hands until up to 2020.

I personally expect to be making MWO at least that long.

Everyone can make their own decision, we appreciate every vote of confidence

View PostThisMachineKillsFascists, on 15 September 2014 - 08:20 PM, said:

I would like to see a comment from russ about the promises they made and which they couldnt realize. An offical reason spoken out from russ would end the rumors and would help pgi to gain "trust"back

Give me a list of questions to answer and I will review it.

Along with a promise that you and every other alt account will focus on moving forward.

#19 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:24 PM

At the least I give MWO 2 years. The reasoning>
Russ secured the IP rights to continue MWO until 2018 2020.This is the main one, if he didn't think this project could be run until then he wouldn't have bothered and would have shut shop in 2015 when license was going to run out.

I think that speaks for itself. Money talks. I think with the grab deals going on...and we KNOW people are buying them...not much else we can do about it.

edit: got ninja'd

Edited by Ghogiel, 15 September 2014 - 08:27 PM.

#20 Garandos

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 196 posts
  • Locationgermany

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:25 PM

View PostAUSSIETROOPER4, on 15 September 2014 - 07:10 PM, said:

Kinda hard to make that kind of promise...

few companys did it, and those did it based on "lifetime" subsciptions sold.

Not even Blizzard, mind you, a really big company, gives out that kind of promise...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users