- - - - -

How Do You Score A Kill?

22 replies to this topic

#1 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:33 PM

I'm racking up points but not getting a lot of kills so my K/D ratio is in the tank.

Last match was 9 kill assists and 500 damage, 0 kills

I am doing most damage on a bunch of those but its not giving me kill score. Do you have to be last hit or something?

#2 Bala Gi

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:35 PM

for the Kill to count u need to deliver the final blow

#3 xeromynd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:36 PM

Also note that K/D really means nothing in this game.

#4 Aym

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:36 PM

Also kills and KDR are over-rated.

#5 ShinobiHunter

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:37 PM

Yeah, last blow takes the kill.

#6 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:45 PM

View Postxeromynd, on 15 September 2014 - 07:36 PM, said:

Also note that K/D really means nothing in this game.

This. You can be a great asset to the team and yet never get a kill. Focus fire, help your teammates etc, and have fun.

#7 DoomEngine

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 123 posts
  • Locationsomewhere on Old Kentucky

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:46 PM

if you see yellow- shoot it. :)
had 11 assists last game- only one of them got out of my sights :angry: like everyone else said, be a team player- kills are great for the ego, but its us who whittles the enemy down that makes it happen. dont get discouraged.

Edited by DoomEngine, 15 September 2014 - 07:51 PM.

#8 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:09 PM

By the way, what Mechs are you using?

#9 Red October911

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • 211 posts
  • LocationMTL,Quebec

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:25 PM

The best way to score a kill is to either destroy the CT/RCT (center torso/rear center torso) or destroying both legs. However certain IS mechs have XL engines which allow them to go faster and cut a lot of tonnage off their mechs. The trade off being that side torsos, if destroyed, can get crited and can die instantly.

My tip would be use R to target the enemy mech (I can't stress how important this is) look for the area that has no armor (the outline has turned to black = no armor on area) and focus your fire there. You might kill the enemy 1 shot if it happens to be a XL wielding IS mech, if not at least you break components (weapons, heat sinks) that could make him weaker.

P.S. if you're not certain weather or not a mech has or doesn't have a weakspot remember that damage goes from white to yellow to orange to red and then black, so just focus on the most damaged area as best you can.

P.P.S. but as sighted before K/D means jack, keep getting those 500 dam matches, your team will thank you :P

#10 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:37 PM

View PostPraetor Knight, on 15 September 2014 - 08:09 PM, said:

By the way, what Mechs are you using?

I'm using a couple of Orion builds today

ON1-K with 2xERLL/UAC5/LRM15 is Mr. Reliable

ON1-V with 2xLL/2xLB10X for goofing around, does a ton of damage but too cramped. Usually its 1 LB10x and a couple of SRMs. Trying to elite the -V so grinding through maps and testing things out.

#11 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:55 PM

View PostUrsusMorologus, on 15 September 2014 - 08:37 PM, said:

I'm using a couple of Orion builds today

ON1-K with 2xERLL/UAC5/LRM15 is Mr. Reliable

ON1-V with 2xLL/2xLB10X for goofing around, does a ton of damage but too cramped. Usually its 1 LB10x and a couple of SRMs. Trying to elite the -V so grinding through maps and testing things out.

Part of the issue with being more Lethal in a match is sustaining as much Damage as possible to a single component at a time.

So the type of damage being done compared to the heat you are generating as you fire your weapons is a main consideration in builds.

The main weapons you have can rack up damage, but are not focusing enough damage to destroy components, and seems like they can leave you needing to cut back on firing, due to heat concerns to avoid shutting down.

So in other words, that means that specializing more can help you keep up the pressure on your opponents, giving you more opportunities to score more kills or at least seriously crippling a targeted component faster.

Therefore hardpoints are very important to consider to maximize the utility of the different variants, and how you prefer playing. For example I tend to play most of my mechs as short range fighters that can deal a lot of damage quickly. Other play styles can be staying at mid range or fighting at long range and so on.

So, if you're interested in trying out different builds on your Orions, I have some suggestions you can consider trying out.

With the ON1-K I'd consider going bigger with the Ballistic Slot, such as the AC/10 or AC/20, but such builds can run toasty and are shorter range or trying builds that don't fill the spot.

More K builds in spoiler
Spoiler

I'd run this and use the MLs as backup weapons. The 2LL 2LBX looks fun but, to fit that build, it looks like you're making too many sacrifices.

If you like to use the two Ballistic Slots I'd suggest 2 AC/5s with 4 tons of ammo, backed up by either MLs and SRMs or swap that for LLs. Use the AC/5s as your primary sprinkling in the other weapons based on heat.

And you can run LRMs, but I feel that other mechs can do that better than these two variants, but the V can run 3 ALRM 10s with a decent supply of ammo!

I can keep going, but I hope I've proved enough food for thought!

Edited by Praetor Knight, 15 September 2014 - 10:01 PM.

#12 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:04 PM

I have scored a kill with 0 damage before (according to the end of match screen), the Kill has nothing to do with the amount of damage you put into the Mech it is literally for firing the shot that destroyed the Mech and is as much about luck as skill (especially if half your team is firing on the same Mech)

#13 MasterBLB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationWarsaw,Poland

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:14 PM

Mostly it's matter of situational awareness which enemy is severely damaged and proper positioning to be able to shoot at it and avoid return fire.For 35+ damage alpha sniper builds it's also matter of high enough skill to be able to hit cockpit.

#14 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:24 PM

View PostUrsusMorologus, on 15 September 2014 - 07:33 PM, said:

I'm racking up points but not getting a lot of kills so my K/D ratio is in the tank.

Last match was 9 kill assists and 500 damage, 0 kills

I am doing most damage on a bunch of those but its not giving me kill score. Do you have to be last hit or something?

Consider this - KDR is the least important statistic in the game. ;)

#15 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:33 AM

I've been playing this game for three years and there are still lots of matches where I don't get any kills! 9 assists is good, 500 damage is decent IF you're putting that damage in the correct location (don't shoot arms and legs if an enemy has a weak torso, don't shoot an armoured leg if they have a nearly destroyed leg, etc)

Only the final hit counts as a kill, but if you do most of the work and someone else gets the kill, you still make as much or more c-bills than he did! Assist are rewarded well and your damage counts too. Even better if you're getting component destructions (destroying one of an enemy mech's sections)

An assist pays more CB than a kill (although one kill plus one component destruction an equals an assist)

Edited by Redshift2k5, 16 September 2014 - 06:34 AM.

#16 Napoleon_Blownapart

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:12 AM

artillery strikes lol

Edited by Gorantir, 16 September 2014 - 08:12 AM.

#17 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:44 AM

Press R and try to target the red sections and kills will come. Mainly concentrate on the torsos (torsi?) and legs. Note a LOT of drivers lower the armor on the legs and put ammo there. Take out a leg and you *may* kill the mech by ammo explosion. It's pretty sweet when it happens.

#18 L Y N X

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 629 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:02 AM

Kill a mech with targeted, accurate fire!

Headshot - Tough but requires the least damage.

Both legs - First one is hard at times, but second leg goes fast, especially if the target stripped leg armor like a lot of folks tend to do or is a light mech.

Side torso- If target is running an IS XL engine then I think the side torso is a more effective means to either kill the mech outright or to remove half it's firepower if running a STD engine.

Back - Great if you can get a mech to turn its back to you, its thin armor means you can get to the internals much faster. Best target for fast light mechs to shoot.

Center torso front - Takes the most damage usually, but seems this is most folks' target, I think it is the longest/hardest way to kill a mech, but still effective.

Clan Mech only, Both side torsos- due to the Clan XL engines havign only 2 engine slots in each side torso and the requirement to destroy 3 XL engine slots to earn a kill, on Clan mechs you can shoot off both side torso's but on fresh mechs this is inefficient. However sometimes late match you will find a TBR with one torso gone and the other critical. If you have the shot take it and the TBR will cease in its existence. Caution - On IS mechs with STD engine this will only zombie mechs w/o head or CT mounted weapons.

Hope this helps new players!
Check us out... http://www.team-sf.com

Edited by 7ynx, 16 September 2014 - 10:07 AM.

#19 LauLiao

• 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:51 PM

500 damage is a brawler is good. 500 Damage in a brawler with no kills indicates a problem. In an LRM boat I can sneeze out 500 damage without blinking, but rarely get a kill since the damage gets pretty spread. If you're using direct fire weapons like ACs, PPCs, and lasers to an extent, and you're doing 500 damage without scoring a kill, (while not impossible, it does happen) it indicates that you are spreading damage way too much all over the mech. I realize that especially early on, just scoring a hit on an enemy mech can be a challenge. However, if you want to learn to be really effective with direct fire weaponry, you need to learn a few skills. Focus fire on important parts of the mech. First, you need to learn to keep your aim steady and learn the general hitboxes of mechs so you know what you're aiming for. Second, learn to quickly read the enemy damage display and target vulnerable parts of the enemy. Destroying the CT is the only way to kill a mech easily unless they have an IS XL engine, so focus fire on the CT of mechs that are undamged or superficially damaged is best. Once they start loosing armor, you want to go for areas that are weakened. Torsos first if they are out of armor, as there is often squishy goodness to blow up there. Legs are good to if they're out of armor on one or both, as you severely gimp their mobility and make them easier kills, plus many pilots like to store ammo there, so you've got the odd chance of a crit on that. Finally, you should only really focus on arms if you know that there are weapon(s) there you really want your enemy to not have and you want to get rid of it quickly. Otherwise blowing through the associated torso is actually better because if the torso goes, so does the whole arm. Finally, try to NOT shoot destroyed components. if the right torso of an enemy mech is blown off and you hit that section, yes the damage will transfer inward to the CT, but at a greatly reduced rate, so you only be doing a fraction of the damage.

That's about all the advice I have, sorry for the wall of text.

#20 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 17 September 2014 - 05:34 PM

I disagree KDR and Kills is very important when killing all enemy mechs is the only way to win no matter what match type you are playing.

Those who have crap KDR and can't get kills are either playing in group where I will slightly agree it doesn't matter because you focus fire. But in solo cue you have to carry your own weight most of the time, and if you have a high enough elo mostly have to carry your team as well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users