#41 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 21 September 2014 - 09:08 PM

View PostFierostetz, on 21 September 2014 - 08:31 PM, said:

I just don't see many options without a drastic increase in the size of the player base.

all options are bad till player base increases. The more people playing, the better options. The problem is that the options currently out there to draw people in by good gameplay modes are starved leading to most of the problems... and CW, with the points brought up before resisting further division of play will make it worse. Plus those who join into faction warfare, it will be random pugs v 12man all the time unless you are the defenders able to have a ready premade 12man in kind. The rest will have faction pugs including solo players filling in the bill.

With the screams of outrage vs 12mans, don't you think this is going to be a potentially disastrous option unless those pugs are heavily subsidized?

#42 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 21 September 2014 - 09:27 PM

I think that many here failed to understand the problem.
It has no sense at all that MM makes a drop with 12 organized in a clan (having TS, of course) vs 3-4 small grops of 3-4 people.
Because small groups cannot cordinate.

Solution: implement lance queue. 4 vs 4 and 8 vs 8

#43 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:07 AM

View PostKjudoon, on 21 September 2014 - 09:08 PM, said:

all options are bad till player base increases. The more people playing, the better options. The problem is that the options currently out there to draw people in by good gameplay modes are starved leading to most of the problems... and CW, with the points brought up before resisting further division of play will make it worse. Plus those who join into faction warfare, it will be random pugs v 12man all the time unless you are the defenders able to have a ready premade 12man in kind. The rest will have faction pugs including solo players filling in the bill.

With the screams of outrage vs 12mans, don't you think this is going to be a potentially disastrous option unless those pugs are heavily subsidized?

I was worried about that as well, but then I thought about the fact that even in CW the majority of the players will be solo droppers, and they will out-number the groups in number of drops. So yes, the elite very strong 12 mans can make an impact on the planet they are in, but the smaller guys are gonna be ALL OVER THE PLACE. Meaning you probably can't take that planet from SJG, but you can sure as hell take the rest of the system since they are busy defending that planet.

Overwhelm them with dudes has been the main tactic of the IS for pretty much everything, it's fitting that it would be as well for CW.

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 21 September 2014 - 09:27 PM, said:

I think that many here failed to understand the problem.
It has no sense at all that MM makes a drop with 12 organized in a clan (having TS, of course) vs 3-4 small grops of 3-4 people.
Because small groups cannot cordinate.

Solution: implement lance queue. 4 vs 4 and 8 vs 8

Actually, no. The solution is to put in-game voice comms options. Far simpler, and less likely to break the game queues. (8v8 will still have 4+2+2 vs. 8 man, or 2x4mans, vs. 8 man, what then? a separate queue for each group size, and make them locked to only those group sizes? What if there were no 5 mans on the server that night?)

No, integrated comms solves 90% of the MM problems we're having right now for group queue. It would astronomically improve the Solo queue experience as well. We would just need a button to mute it, and a tip that shows up at the start of the match telling us that there is such a button in the settings menu (which many people seem to not realize exists).

Edited by IraqiWalker, 22 September 2014 - 08:07 AM.

#44 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 22 September 2014 - 09:48 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 22 September 2014 - 08:07 AM, said:

I was worried about that as well, but then I thought about the fact that even in CW the majority of the players will be solo droppers, and they will out-number the groups in number of drops. So yes, the elite very strong 12 mans can make an impact on the planet they are in, but the smaller guys are gonna be ALL OVER THE PLACE. Meaning you probably can't take that planet from SJG, but you can sure as hell take the rest of the system since they are busy defending that planet.

Overwhelm them with dudes has been the main tactic of the IS for pretty much everything, it's fitting that it would be as well for CW.

Actually, no. The solution is to put in-game voice comms options. Far simpler, and less likely to break the game queues. (8v8 will still have 4+2+2 vs. 8 man, or 2x4mans, vs. 8 man, what then? a separate queue for each group size, and make them locked to only those group sizes? What if there were no 5 mans on the server that night?)

No, integrated comms solves 90% of the MM problems we're having right now for group queue. It would astronomically improve the Solo queue experience as well. We would just need a button to mute it, and a tip that shows up at the start of the match telling us that there is such a button in the settings menu (which many people seem to not realize exists).

Oh well, I'll tell you that the day pgi implement integrated comm it would be a wonderful date to remember!

On the other hand lance fights can be interesting too.

#45 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 September 2014 - 09:55 AM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 22 September 2014 - 09:48 AM, said:

Oh well, I'll tell you that the day pgi implement integrated comm it would be a wonderful date to remember!

On the other hand lance fights can be interesting too.

Agreed. On both accounts.

If you ever did Stock mech events (I recommend you give them a shot) or just private drops. You'll notice that with fewer mechs on the board, TTK increases, and the crazy things people do in a somewhat stress-free environment can be hella fun.

When your team's total DpS is less than 800, mechs die slower.

The problem is that with our small maps, and close spawning locations you don't have multiple fronts fighting each other on the map. No, you get 12 on 12 in 2 square feet. Leading to insane amounts of focus fire that bring even an atlas down in a few seconds.

#46 jackal40

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 180 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 11:33 AM

Well, after being away from the game since January, a friend convinced our small group to come back for the Anniversary weekend.

The four of us played 10 matches, two more than anyone really wanted to, but we want a little bit more for our decision.

What a waste of a few hours - no one had fun as we won 1 out of the 10 games. One guy was trying to earn enough cBills to buy a clan mech when they come out, now he's done playing for good unless something drastic changes.

PGI needs to scrap the current matchmaking. After doing that, they need to identify what is the single biggest element of a 12-2, 12-1, 12-0 stomp. Is it the mechs, the map, the players, or complete random luck. I lost count and did not take any screenshots, but we had at least 3 x 12-2 and 3 x 12-1 stomps where we were on the loosing team.

Needless to say, time-to-life needs to become a focus. Some matches, one of us was dead before they could shout "Contact".

It's sad that the four of us, using skype - calling our targets and shots, covering each other, and trying to stay with the team still averaged between 200 and 300 damage. We used to compete to see who could get closer to 1,000 - but that was last year. Now, we're just moving on to a game that is a fun challenge, not a quest to see how many times you can get your assets handed to you.

#47 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 September 2014 - 12:33 PM

View Postjackal40, on 22 September 2014 - 11:33 AM, said:

Well, after being away from the game since January, a friend convinced our small group to come back for the Anniversary weekend.

The four of us played 10 matches, two more than anyone really wanted to, but we want a little bit more for our decision.

What a waste of a few hours - no one had fun as we won 1 out of the 10 games. One guy was trying to earn enough cBills to buy a clan mech when they come out, now he's done playing for good unless something drastic changes.

PGI needs to scrap the current matchmaking. After doing that, they need to identify what is the single biggest element of a 12-2, 12-1, 12-0 stomp. Is it the mechs, the map, the players, or complete random luck. I lost count and did not take any screenshots, but we had at least 3 x 12-2 and 3 x 12-1 stomps where we were on the loosing team.

Needless to say, time-to-life needs to become a focus. Some matches, one of us was dead before they could shout "Contact".

It's sad that the four of us, using skype - calling our targets and shots, covering each other, and trying to stay with the team still averaged between 200 and 300 damage. We used to compete to see who could get closer to 1,000 - but that was last year. Now, we're just moving on to a game that is a fun challenge, not a quest to see how many times you can get your assets handed to you.

So you haven't played in forever ago. Don't know what the new mechanics and dynamics are, dropped into the competitive group queue, and were surprised that you got rolled?

Hate to break it to you, but the group queue is even more competitive than before, and you are all out of practice. Expect some heavy losses until you get back into form. As for the biggest factor in a 12-2 roll. It's simple, we already know that:
losing 2-3 mechs early in the game. After that, the team with numerical superiority has a much easier time focus firing, and rotating front liners. Ensuring they suffer the least losses, while inflicting maximum damage.

How many ECM mechs did you have on your team? Were your forward scouts lights? Did they have ECM?

If you answered no/zero to the three above questions, then getting killed before yelling "contact", and more than likely getting stomped was almost inevitable.

#48 jackal40

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 180 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 04:11 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 22 September 2014 - 12:33 PM, said:

So you haven't played in forever ago. Don't know what the new mechanics and dynamics are, dropped into the competitive group queue, and were surprised that you got rolled?

Hate to break it to you, but the group queue is even more competitive than before, and you are all out of practice. Expect some heavy losses until you get back into form. As for the biggest factor in a 12-2 roll. It's simple, we already know that:
losing 2-3 mechs early in the game. After that, the team with numerical superiority has a much easier time focus firing, and rotating front liners. Ensuring they suffer the least losses, while inflicting maximum damage.

How many ECM mechs did you have on your team? Were your forward scouts lights? Did they have ECM?

If you answered no/zero to the three above questions, then getting killed before yelling "contact", and more than likely getting stomped was almost inevitable.

So, what is the casual group supposed to do in order to enjoy this game? Play solo queue? Don't see that we have any choice but the "competitive group queue".

All that being said, this is just more reason NOT to return to MWO. Thanks for the info!

#49 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 September 2014 - 05:27 PM

View Postjackal40, on 22 September 2014 - 04:11 PM, said:

So, what is the casual group supposed to do in order to enjoy this game? Play solo queue? Don't see that we have any choice but the "competitive group queue".

All that being said, this is just more reason NOT to return to MWO. Thanks for the info!

No, you practice and get back into the swing of things. I hate to break this to you, but there is NOTHING in the world that you can leave for an extended period of time, and then come back and expect to be still adept at it. During the time you were gone we've had new coming players get good enough to be professional. Eight months is a LONG time.

If you're a casual group, then drop with other casual groups. TS servers are full of people that are willing and happy to drop with new players (myself included.) You guys can show up to the House Davion server(ts50.bargainvoice.com:7345) any time, and drop with folks there. You can even PM me to organize a drop with you, I can probably get more casual players to join us, and have a big fun time.

Also, don't forget stock mech events, they are probably the most fun you will ever have playing a mechwarrior game.

http://mwomercs.com/...k-mech-mondays/

Edited by IraqiWalker, 22 September 2014 - 05:28 PM.

#50 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 22 September 2014 - 11:05 PM

View Postjackal40, on 22 September 2014 - 04:11 PM, said:

That's the current solution or quit and go play War Thunder. I chose DCUO instead on PvE mode. :P ;)

If PGI wants to save this game, the must return the 2-4man queue with opt-in for solo players, and allow 4mans to opt into the company queue for 5+ teams.

Then everyone gets a mode to play, and allows people to opt into the next size up if they feel manly man enough to do it.

#51 jackal40

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 180 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 06:18 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 22 September 2014 - 05:27 PM, said:

No, you practice and get back into the swing of things. I hate to break this to you, but there is NOTHING in the world that you can leave for an extended period of time, and then come back and expect to be still adept at it. During the time you were gone we've had new coming players get good enough to be professional. Eight months is a LONG time.

If you're a casual group, then drop with other casual groups. TS servers are full of people that are willing and happy to drop with new players (myself included.) You guys can show up to the House Davion server(ts50.bargainvoice.com:7345) any time, and drop with folks there. You can even PM me to organize a drop with you, I can probably get more casual players to join us, and have a big fun time.

Also, don't forget stock mech events, they are probably the most fun you will ever have playing a mechwarrior game.

http://mwomercs.com/...k-mech-mondays/

So, a casual group needs to seek out other casual groups in order to have fun? Are you saying the competitive groups are ruling the PUG queue?

Also, correct me if I'm mistaken - you are talking about joining private matches? Where there is no experience or cbills earned?

I think Kjudoon has the better answer - find a different game to play until PGI decides (if ever) to address the issue. Of course, this will further fragment the player base - but I don't see an alternative.

When a player is not having fun, they tend to find something that they do enjoy. Guess that's where I'll be.

Edited by jackal40, 23 September 2014 - 06:18 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users