The Lrm Lolocaust Is Upon Us

129 replies to this topic

#81 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 16 September 2014 - 01:30 PM

View PostBullseye69, on 16 September 2014 - 10:30 AM, said:

The easiest way to fix ECM is allow it on all chassis then all advantage are gone. This is a joke so don't take it seriously /

It's a joke the way ECM is currently implemented, but with a few slight fixes it could actually be allowed:

* Make LRM spread way more when fired indirectly (50 - 100% wider spread)
* Make Artemis (when in LoS) and Narc (even without LoS) tighten LRM spread.
* Make ECM hard counter Artemis and Narc
* Make ECM only extend lock-on time by 50 - 100% to 'mechs within its radius. No more total blocking of LRM locks.

This way, ECM is just a counter to Artemis, Narc, and our version of C3, as it should be.

Additionally, to round out the other T2 EW equipment:

* Make TAG tighten artillery strikes instead of LRMs.
* Make ECM counter BAP against any 'mech inside its radius besides the ECM carrier.

This makes TAG do what it's supposed to, and also makes ECM a counter to BAP (as it also should be).

#82 Prezimonto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 2,017 posts
  • LocationKufstein FRR

Posted 16 September 2014 - 01:31 PM

View PostAsyres, on 16 September 2014 - 09:06 AM, said:

It isn't an issue, though I can see where you got that from my post. What I meant is that I don't find LRMs to be even remotely threatening, except occasionally on Caustic.

I know, I wasn't calling you the dope, or suggesting you did. I was more saying Caustic is an issue in pug games where people follow the fastest rather than smartest player.

#83 KharnZor

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 16 September 2014 - 01:40 PM

View PostNgamok, on 16 September 2014 - 12:59 PM, said:

I saw KharnZor last night.

I was good eh

lol

*edit* I'm in Australia OP so aussie times.

Edited by KharnZor, 16 September 2014 - 01:45 PM.

#84 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 September 2014 - 01:49 PM

View PostNgamok, on 16 September 2014 - 01:20 PM, said:

I run AMS on at least 75% of my mechs.

Posted Image

Thats a historical quote you know

#85 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 16 September 2014 - 01:51 PM

EST timezone OP, you have been reported for this thread and your rudeness to the community BTW.

Come find me....i gave you all the info needed.

I will be on in about 45 mins....lets go.

#86 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 16 September 2014 - 01:55 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 16 September 2014 - 12:54 PM, said:

They don't have ghost heat, and make a nice noise. There was also nothing else to do with the tonnage.

As such, WUB WUB WUB.

Just coin "wubtastic" and "wubulous" and you'll be set.

#87 Project_Mercy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 430 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:00 PM

View Poststjobe, on 16 September 2014 - 01:30 PM, said:

It's a joke the way ECM is currently implemented, but with a few slight fixes it could actually be allowed:

This still doesn't take mech speed into account, which it should. LRMs are not homing missiles, that's what STREAK LRMs are, which don't exist in the current tech time in any reasonable numbers, and have all the additional overhead of STREAK.

#88 MadcatX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:04 PM

I hop onto forums after not being around for a bit after hearing some interesting new developments
This thread is the first one I see...

An LRM one, and compared to some of the others over the years, a pretty weak one at that...

I really shouldn't have been surprised I guess.

#89 DEN_Ninja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,097 posts
  • LocationCrossing, Draconis March

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:07 PM

View PostMadcatX, on 16 September 2014 - 02:04 PM, said:

I hop onto forums after not being around for a bit after hearing some interesting new developments
This thread is the first one I see...

An LRM one, and compared to some of the others over the years, a pretty weak one at that...

I really shouldn't have been surprised I guess.

Same stuff different day.

Don't be. but there still has been some interesting developments indeed.

#90 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:08 PM

View PostI Zeratul I, on 15 September 2014 - 09:00 PM, said:

Empty words from both of you.

I think if either of you still played this game on a regular basis, you would quickly be rid of your misconceptions.

I do, and they're still both right.

The LRMQQpocalypse Season 5 is not coming.

This is much ado about nothing.

#91 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:16 PM

View PostWraeththix Constantine, on 16 September 2014 - 02:00 PM, said:

LRMs are not homing missiles, that's what STREAK LRMs are, which don't exist in the current tech time in any reasonable numbers, and have all the additional overhead of STREAK.

Oh, I disagree. And so does the Tech Manual:

Posted Image
(Tech Manual, p.229)

LRMs are self-guided. Streak, contrary to popular opinion, is just a method of not allowing each tube to fire as it gets a lock-on, delaying the firing until the whole rack has a hard lock (and thereby saving ammo):

Posted Image
(Tech Manual, p. 230)

Bottom line:
LRMs are self-guided.
SRMs are also self-guided.
SSRMs are just SRMs that refuse to fire unless all missiles in the rack have hard lock.

The only unguided missiles in BattleTech are the MRMs (and they won't be around until 3058).

Remember, the "M" in "LRM" stands for "Missile", not "Rocket". A missile is "a self-propelled guided munition".

Edited by stjobe, 16 September 2014 - 02:17 PM.

#92 Project_Mercy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 430 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:22 PM

I didn't say they weren't guided, I said they weren't HOMING missiles. If I'm running at 150kph and I change direction suddenly, a guided missile is considerably less likely to hit. This is includied in TT battletech, as relationship to your rolls taking penalties against speed.

Also, there are streak LRMs: http://www.sarna.net...issile_Launcher

Edit: Also, SRM's have M in them, but shoot like rockets.

Edited by Wraeththix Constantine, 16 September 2014 - 02:28 PM.

#93 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:28 PM

View Poststjobe, on 16 September 2014 - 02:16 PM, said:

Oh, I disagree. And so does the Tech Manual:

Posted Image
(Tech Manual, p.229)

LRMs are self-guided. Streak, contrary to popular opinion, is just a method of not allowing each tube to fire as it gets a lock-on, delaying the firing until the whole rack has a hard lock (and thereby saving ammo):

Posted Image
(Tech Manual, p. 230)

Bottom line:
LRMs are self-guided.
SRMs are also self-guided.
SSRMs are just SRMs that refuse to fire unless all missiles in the rack have hard lock.

The only unguided missiles in BattleTech are the MRMs (and they won't be around until 3058).

Remember, the "M" in "LRM" stands for "Missile", not "Rocket". A missile is "a self-propelled guided munition".

As always great Lore based/rule based info.

Currently SRMs are used as rockets. I would love to see them guided like LRMs and SSRMs just be a higher quality of SRMs. Of course It would be nice to see rocket launchers too that could be used to fire either directly at a target at speeds of 600-800m/s and/or be able to ballistic arc in. These would actually add some flavor to the game,

#94 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:33 PM

View PostWraeththix Constantine, on 16 September 2014 - 02:22 PM, said:

I didn't say they weren't guided, I said they weren't HOMING missiles. If I'm running at 150kph and I change direction suddenly, a guided missile is considerably less likely to hit. This is includied in TT battletech, as relationship to your rolls taking penalties against speed.

Well, the difference between self-guided and homing in this context is minute, so I still disagree. But yes, if you ask me I'd like to have the slow-turning SSRMs from CB back, and believe an old Commando pilot when he says that going 150 and turning makes LRMs very much "considerably less likely to hit". I used to not even bother with AMS on my Commandos, since I could just outmaneuver 99% of LRMs.

Also, there are streak LRMs: http://www.sarna.net...issile_Launcher

I never said there weren't, but they are an optional rule from Tactical Operations, and they are Clan Coyote exclusive experimental weapons from 3057 onwards. Hardly something you'd find on a 'mech in 3049.

Edit: And either way, it's just Streak technology; i.e. it's just regular LRMs that refuse to fire until the whole rack has a hard lock. Just like Streak SRMs, it has nothing to do with being guided or not.

Edited by stjobe, 16 September 2014 - 02:39 PM.

#95 Syncline

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 205 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:36 PM

I'm not sure how spamming the queue with LRM boats will somehow explain why ECM needs to be changed. I don't need ECM to survive an LRM boat, nor do I need the enemy's ECM to be nullified for me to be successful in an LRM boat. There is plenty of counter-play to deal with ECM.

#96 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:41 PM

Edit: Also, SRM's have M in them, but shoot like rockets.

Yes, PGI got that wrong; they should be guided.

#97 cranect

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 460 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:49 PM

Stjobe the tech manual does not say whether the srms were guided or not. It only says that they are direct fire.

The first picture you posted was from the intro of the missile weapons in general. Most are self guided is still true if only a few of the missiles systems out of the 8 were not* guided.

Here are the images that hopefully prove my point.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This shows that while they were direct fire it does not state whether or not they are guided. Nowhere does it say they are guided. We can take a guess that srms were unguided by a line in sarna for the ssrms that says that the srm's shotgun pattern resulted in misses and hits.
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/SSRM

Now this isnt necessarily the best source but it is normally at least decently reliable.

Edited to fix the lack of a very important word as pointed out by stjobe.

Edited by cranect, 16 September 2014 - 10:02 PM.

#98 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:53 PM

Posted Image

View Poststjobe, on 16 September 2014 - 02:41 PM, said:

Yes, PGI got that wrong; they should be guided.

^---This guy gets it.

Edited by Carrioncrows, 16 September 2014 - 04:54 PM.

#99 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:40 PM

View PostWraeththix Constantine, on 16 September 2014 - 01:10 PM, said:

Both are just hard systems. They either work or they don't work. The rest of the game actually involves at least a modicum of skill or ability to accomplish something. LRMs are exacerbated by the fact that they don't even take speed into account. The best weapon for shooting lights should not be indirect firing a weapon that in TT is barely effective at indirect fire and used primarily to rough other mechs up or finish off fleeing mechs, not as an artillery boat with 19 Tons of ammo. And ECM just exacerbates a targeting system that doesn't make sense to begin with. Why exactly are my eyes better sensors than my normal mech sensors? It might as well be steampunk, not battletech.

What this game and discussion needs a lot more of is everyone, especially PGI devs, starting up a fresh/new unknown account, and just playing caustic and alpine peaks over and over again, in solo queue, with a HBK-4G with an ac/20.

I think lights actually do take less LRM fire while moving at high speed. A significant portion of LRM's seem to miss.

People playing caustic en masse with a HBK + AC20 is a great suggestion.

But considering the way too many people on this forum pretend the have super LRM dodging skills and haven't died from LRM fire since 1970. I think its pretty safe to assume they're either fabricating myths or haven't played the game in a long time.

View PostWolfways, on 16 September 2014 - 01:13 PM, said:

You'd guess wrong then. I'm often on for 6+ hours in a day at least most days a week.
I do get many losses but not 25+. I think my longest loss run is about 15.
I can't say I've noticed the higher ELO players dieing to LRM's, but i have noticed Sean Lang uses Radar Dep. on all his mechs and i can't for the life of me figure out why. To me it's about as useful as a flamer.

This is only in the solo queue though so i don't know what the group queue is like.

But yeah, if someoe does something that you can't do the most logical thing to do is assume they are lying...

I remember a few months back when this section was heavily saturated with "PGI PLEASE NERF LRM" threads. It seems as if a lot of people have spontaneously forgotten what can happen when enough decent players decide to drop in LRM boats.

Or, lot of people aren't active enough in game to know that a lot of games are rife with LRM fire and there are still people who are complaining about the oversaturation of LRM fire.

There's no legitimate basis to say that ECM has made a significant impact in making LRM's "useless" as some claim.

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 16 September 2014 - 01:16 PM, said:

Given that LRMd are the only weapon system that needs an upgrade (Artemis), module slots (advanced decay), nd a laser slot (TAG), also you have to keep in LOS for most of that to work as I understand it, you need to keep a lock from firing to when the missiles hit just to do average damage and can be completely shut down by a 1.5 ton item (ECM) Id have to say its not a problem.

An LRM weapons system can have BAP, Artemis and TAG and can sometimes be completely shut down by buildings or mountains that are free and cost nothing!

No one seems to have a problem with that.

Why would they have a problem with something like ECM that actually costs cbills, space, tonnage and more?

Can you specifically explain why ECM is a problem and cite reasons which back your perspective?

View Poststjobe, on 16 September 2014 - 01:30 PM, said:

This way, ECM is just a counter to Artemis, Narc, and our version of C3, as it should be.

This makes TAG do what it's supposed to, and also makes ECM a counter to BAP (as it also should be).

Can you cease and desist with stating your personal opinions as if they were scientifically validated facts, please?

The real question is how are circumstances made better by what you propose.

What are the advantages? Are there advantages?

View PostDarthRevis, on 16 September 2014 - 01:51 PM, said:

EST timezone OP, you have been reported for this thread and your rudeness to the community BTW.

Come find me....i gave you all the info needed.

I will be on in about 45 mins....lets go.

You reported me? lol.. For what? Saying you were a noob? If I typed the word "hell" would you try to report me for profanity?

View PostKjudoon, on 16 September 2014 - 02:28 PM, said:

Currently SRMs are used as rockets. I would love to see them guided like LRMs and SSRMs just be a higher quality of SRMs. Of course It would be nice to see rocket launchers too that could be used to fire either directly at a target at speeds of 600-800m/s and/or be able to ballistic arc in. These would actually add some flavor to the game,

If SSRM's are guided.

And SRM's are guided.

What's the point in having two separate categories of short range missiles that do the exact same thing?

You really believe that making the distinction between SRM and SSRM completely redundant is a good thing?

View PostSyncline, on 16 September 2014 - 02:36 PM, said:

I'm not sure how spamming the queue with LRM boats will somehow explain why ECM needs to be changed. I don't need ECM to survive an LRM boat, nor do I need the enemy's ECM to be nullified for me to be successful in an LRM boat. There is plenty of counter-play to deal with ECM.

A significant portion of the player base seems to suffer from having extremely short term memories.

It amazes me none of you seem to remember a few months ago, when half of you were spamming this section with "LRM'S ARE OP" threads.

Nothing has changed since then. LRM's are still the same. ECM is still the same. The only difference is people got bored of spamming LRM's and decided to do something else. In which case, it is a good thing to jog peoples memories and remind them why ECM is a necessity, as it seems they can't be trusted to remember things on their own.

Edited by I Zeratul I, 16 September 2014 - 09:41 PM.

#100 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:41 PM

View Postcranect, on 16 September 2014 - 04:49 PM, said:

Stjobe the tech manual does not say whether the srms were guided or not. It only says that they are direct fire.

The first picture you posted was from the intro of the missile weapons in general. Most are self guided is still true if only a few of the missiles systems out of the 8 were guided.

You don't see the contradiction in your own words here?

The non-guided missiles are Rocket Launchers and Medium Range Missiles, the rest are self-guided.

View PostI Zeratul I, on 16 September 2014 - 09:40 PM, said:

Can you cease and desist with stating your personal opinions as if they were scientifically validated facts, please?

It's not personal opinion, it's BattleTech lore and rules.

View PostI Zeratul I, on 16 September 2014 - 09:40 PM, said:

If SSRM's are guided.

And SRM's are guided.

What's the point in having two separate categories of short range missiles that do the exact same thing?

You really believe that making the distinction between SRM and SSRM completely redundant is a good thing?

SSRMs are simply a means to save ammo; many BT 'Mechs are starved for ammo (a single ton of ammo isn't unusual).

Edited by stjobe, 16 September 2014 - 09:46 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users