Bring Back The Phoenix Pack So Is Purists Don't Have To Buy Clan Packs To Get A King Crab

356 replies to this topic

#41 BourbonFaucet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 767 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:26 AM

View PostSI The Joker, on 16 September 2014 - 07:25 AM, said:

Idea is good as long as the pre-order bonuses are not included... you know... because alot of us did pre-order.

That given... I think this would be a good move as well.

I don't care about the pre-order bonuses so much as the 30% C-Bill boosts :3

#42 Crohnic

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 87 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:30 AM

View PostTerciel1976, on 16 September 2014 - 05:43 AM, said:

Rewards, not entitlements, guys. And if you think this is somehow "unfair" to you, it would be at least as unfair to those who bought believing "exclusive" and "limited time" to re-open those packages now.

I wish I had been here for Founders. I wasn't. I don't begrudge anybody who was.

Just keep these things in mind the next time there's a package if they're that big a deal to you.

The words exclusive and limited time used here are marketing terms to be taken with a grain of salt. There were thousands of packages sold. Exclusive? That's kind of iffy. There are plenty of other 'Mechs for pilots to run in this game, adding an extra 10 - 15 percent to the total Phoenix population by re-opening sales would have at most, a slightly perceptible impact on the average player experience. This would not be a huge seller due to the availability of C-Bill 'Mechs but I welcome the chance to see more of them on the field. As far as limited time is concerned, they were available for five months. The term is technically correct because the sale time period had a time limit, but limited in this instance sounds like "hurry or you will miss out". Black Friday and Cyber Monday would fit that term. Five months is more middle ground here, not real short, reasonably extended, but not forever.

The Founders 'Mechs are a different story. They are for a specific group during a well defined time period. It does not make sense to allow someone late to the game to sully the special meaning of a Founder's 'Mech.

I don't understand why any package beyond the Founders package should be limited (Gold 'Mechs excepted). Why prevent players from spending their money and enjoying the game?

IMO there are only a few reason as to why not re-introduce the Phoenix package.
  • Legal or monetary agreements still in place with IPG.
  • Software limitations causing PGI not being able to track different package levels for those who wish to upgrade now.
  • Player perception - PGI going back on their word of limited and exclusive.
The first two appear unlikely, the last reason would be contentious for some players, perhaps a select minority, who are looking for one more reason to stir the pot. I like the Clan Buster Pack ideas or let us vote on it. Open it up to the community as a whole or just those who purchased one of the Phoenix packs.

More money in PGI's pockets, more money for development, more satisfied players. Part of PGI's focus will eventually be to create a positive new user experience. Let these new players have a chance to spend their hard earned cash!

#43 Radi Jeager

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:32 AM

King Crab ghets injected the same day it comes out for c-bills..... just buy it when it comes out

#44 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:37 AM

View PostCrohnic, on 16 September 2014 - 07:30 AM, said:

long post

From here:

http://mwomercs.com/...phoenix-leaked/

Project Phoenix will be available for a limited time only and once vaulted, these packages will never be made available again!

That's very strong, specific language and I really don't think PGI would be well-served to suggest that was "their position at the time" or dismiss that as marketing-speak at this juncture.

#45 Solomon Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:38 AM

View PostRadi Jeager, on 16 September 2014 - 07:32 AM, said:

King Crab ghets injected the same day it comes out for c-bills..... just buy it when it comes out
But we want a Crab with 30% C-Bill Bonus and we are willing to pay for it - just not in Clan mechs.

#46 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:39 AM

View PostRadi Jeager, on 16 September 2014 - 07:32 AM, said:

When it comes out for MC you mean?

Top Tier Reward
This reward is for anyone who purchased a Top Tier Package in any of our pre-order programs. Eligible players will receive an exclusive new King Crab Assault Mech decked out with a custom paint job, along with a 30% C-bill Bonus and a free Mechbay. This custom King Crab variant will only be available through our Top Tier Reward program and will be injected into eligible accounts on December 16th. You have until December 16th at 10:00 am PDT to earn the Top Tier Reward. All Standard variants of this chassis will be available for MC December 16th and C-bills January 20th.

#47 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:41 AM

I don't know about bringing back the Phoenix Pack, seeing as once they're gone, they're meant to be gone. Kind of defeats the purpose, especially since all those mechs are now available for MC and C-Bills, so it ends up becoming a glorified Mastery Pack now, rather than what it was before, which was a glorified mastery pack with some added bonuses and early access. PGI has to pay the bills somehow, after all.

I'd suggest, as others have mentioned, a Clan Busters pack for this. The only problem with the Clan Busters pack is that it wouldn't be out for the deadline for getting the pre-order bonus Atlas and the top-tier bonus King Crab. Honestly I'd be more likely to buy a Clan Buster pack than a Clan pack (psst, PGI, I prefer the Black Knight over the Champion) but that would still be too late to solve this dilemna.

Can't really think of any solution without devaluing what a pack is meant to be or pushing back the deadline. Maybe somebody else can think of something.

Edit: Wait, deadline for Top Tier is December 16th, so if they announce the Clan Buster pack before then, it could be possible. I imagine that they might once all the Wave 1 Clan mechs are available for C-Bills.

Edited by MarsAtlas, 16 September 2014 - 07:43 AM.

#48 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:44 AM

But we want a Crab with 30% C-Bill Bonus and we are willing to pay for it - just not in Clan mechs.

Then wait and buy the hero King Crab.

I don't understand why any package beyond the Founders package should be limited (Gold 'Mechs excepted). Why prevent players from spending their money and enjoying the game?

Because youre mostly paying for early access so you can use those mechs before anyone else. Without early access those packs are simply not worth paying premium prices for.

Also the limited availability of packages tends to drive up sales. If its always available then theres no pressure on players to buy it before the deadline.

Edit: Wait, deadline for Top Tier is December 16th, so if they announce the Clan Buster pack before then, it could be possible. I imagine that they might once all the Wave 1 Clan mechs are available for C-Bills.

The solution is to release a King Crab hero mech for MC on the same day. So players can still buy a King Crab with a 30% cbill bonus.

Can't really think of any solution without devaluing what a pack is meant to be or pushing back the deadline. Maybe somebody else can think of something.

Unlikely. Clan buster mechs didnt appear until 3052. Were at 3050 in the timeline now.

I imagine the next big package sale will be IIC mechs.

Edited by Khobai, 16 September 2014 - 07:52 AM.

#49 Roadkill

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:51 AM

I don't think they should change the terms at all. Changing the terms will cost them sales in the future.

Why? Think about it. If they hold firm as currently stated, they're showing that there are good reasons to buy the large packages. They're showing that they're loyal to their best customers. They're encouraging you to buy packages, not because you're guaranteed to get something spiffy like a King Crab in the future, but because they'll always keep you in mind and there might be something more somewhere down the line.

Increasing the Founders Mechs' bonuses to 30% is late coming, but does the same thing. It says "don't worry, we're not going to let your packages become out of date. If we find that different bonuses make more sense down the line, we'll keep your Mechs on par so that this purchase isn't a waste." They should have bumped the Founders Mechs' bonuses as soon as they introduced Heroes, but better late than never.

Changing the terms would say "there's no need to buy packages, because if we give out cool stuff in the future there will be no advantage in having purchased a package."

So in this case I think they should hold firm. They're being very generous and thanking those players who have supported them the most, which is entirely the point. If you didn't support them at the time, then you don't deserve the thank you.

#50 Solomon Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:52 AM

View PostKhobai, on 16 September 2014 - 07:44 AM, said:

Then wait and buy the hero King Crab.
One possibility.But we propose a different approach and it is on PGI to decide.I spent more money on IS Hero mechs than either of the qualifying packages cost and didn´t qualify for the Crab.Much more on MC:I bought some Clan mechs à ,la carte and could just upgrade to Masakari which would be cheaper than a Phoenix Package but those Clan mechs would just collect dust while i would use some of the Phoenix mechs for an ocassional run.

#51 Solomon Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:55 AM

View PostRoadkill, on 16 September 2014 - 07:51 AM, said:

They're being very generous and thanking those players who have supported them the most, which is entirely the point.  If you didn't support them at the time, then you don't deserve the thank you.

Well thats the point - What´s with the people who spent more money - just in a different way ? They are not supporting ?

#52 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:57 AM

In that case I want them to bring back the founders pack too! I've decided that I want to be a founder now.

#53 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:59 AM

View PostSolomon Ward, on 16 September 2014 - 07:52 AM, said:

One possibility.But we propose a different approach and it is on PGI to decide.I spent more money on IS Hero mechs than either of the qualifying packages cost and didn´t qualify for the Crab.Much more on MC:I bought some Clan mechs à ,la carte and could just upgrade to Masakari which would be cheaper than a Phoenix Package but those Clan mechs would just collect dust while i would use some of the Phoenix mechs for an ocassional run.

I have every pack but Founders at max, over a dozen heroes, every mech is painted and I haven't played a day without premium time in a year. That's not the point. Neither is the King Crab (Frankly, I don't care much about it personally). The point is keeping your word. After all the criticism of PGI for shifting positions, it's rather ludicrous to suggest doing so, even for a "good" reason makes sense.

#54 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:02 AM

View PostSolomon Ward, on 16 September 2014 - 07:55 AM, said:

Well thats the point - What´s with the people who spent more money - just in a different way ? They are not supporting ?

Well this I could get on board with. Include people who have purchased some sufficient number of Hero Mechs (like 5 or 6) in the King Crab reward. That might have the side effect of causing a sudden run on Hero Mechs, too.

Doing that wouldn't lessen the "value" of the thank you for having purchased a big pack because you'd just be rewarding other people who had also provided considerable support over the years.

#55 Solomon Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:06 AM

View PostTerciel1976, on 16 September 2014 - 07:59 AM, said:

I have every pack but Founders at max, over a dozen heroes, every mech is painted and I haven't played a day without premium time in a year. That's not the point. Neither is the King Crab (Frankly, I don't care much about it personally). The point is keeping your word. After all the criticism of PGI for shifting positions, it's rather ludicrous to suggest doing so, even for a "good" reason makes sense.

I just hope they reconsider different ways to qualify - i`d rather buy 200$ of MC than one more Clan mech and i don´t understand why people who spent money on Colors, Hero Mechs, Skins etc are inferior to those buying packages.

Edited by Solomon Ward, 16 September 2014 - 08:07 AM.

#56 Lucian Nostra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:07 AM

View Postlockwoodx, on 16 September 2014 - 04:35 AM, said:

Dear PGI, like many of your dedicated followers we've elected to create second accounts for the purpose of the upcoming clan wars.

Why? If your dropping on your IS account your just hurting whatever Clan unit your in by not helping them take planets or vice versa.

You can always drop your IS/Clan mechs outside of the CW stuff.. I didn't sell my 50+ IS mechs when we formalized our Clan unit.. just seems like a total waste of time running 2 accounts on MWO and now you've run into a detriment as well.

And btw no.. It'll just hurt PGI in the future with credibility

Edited by Lucian Nostra, 16 September 2014 - 08:07 AM.

#57 A banana in the tailpipe

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,696 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:09 AM

Guys just remember I used the Phoenix pack as a quick and dirty solution, but the main theme of this thread is asking PGI to offer some sort of IS pack so IS purists don't have to purchase clan mechs in order to get the bonus King Crab.

#58 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:10 AM

View PostSolomon Ward, on 16 September 2014 - 08:06 AM, said:

I just hope they reconsider different ways to qualify - i`d rather buy 200$ of MC than one more Clan mech and i don´t understand why people who spent money on Colors, Hero Mechs, Skins etc are inferior to those buying packages.

There is a slight difference - the packs have all been pre-orders. You have to have faith to buy them. PGI is rewarding that faith.

Colors, heroes, etc, are just purchases. You know what you're getting because it's already in the game. Color and patters especially - you can try them out and see how they look on your Mechs before you buy them.

That said, I'd still be on board with rewarding people who have purchased several Heroes. It'd need to be 5-6 to be comparable, but it seems fair to reward those players as well.

#59 A banana in the tailpipe

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,696 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:11 AM

View PostLucian Nostra, on 16 September 2014 - 08:07 AM, said:

Why? If your dropping on your IS account your just hurting whatever Clan unit your in by not helping them take planets or vice versa.

I left my clan unit and haven't played my clan mechs in quite a while because of how OP/Easymode they felt. I needed to go back to my roots, and am enjoying it more not to mention fighting as IS vs clans it is definitely making me a better pilot in the long run.

Posted Image

Edited by lockwoodx, 16 September 2014 - 08:14 AM.

#60 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:13 AM

View PostSolomon Ward, on 16 September 2014 - 08:06 AM, said:

I don't really disagree with any of that. If they decide to give more freebies to others, I'll have no complaint. It's re-opening a "gone forever" package I think is a poorly thought out notion.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users