Ppc Problem

Question Help Me

82 replies to this topic

#1 Psyrex

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:28 AM

Hi all, I'm trying out a new idea but running into a few problems.
I want to build a mech that has as many PPC's on as possible but I still want it to be fast and have as close to 50% heat eff as possible.
I also prefer to have max armour.

I tried out two PPC's on my raven 3L but had to drop some armor and put a smaller engine on.

So which mech/build would be best to meet all of my requirements or am I asking for too much?

Thanks.

Edit: reduce the amount of PPC' down to 4 so I can fire sets of 2.

Edited by Psyrex, 16 September 2014 - 06:31 AM.

#2 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:34 AM

View PostPsyrex, on 16 September 2014 - 05:28 AM, said:

I want to build a mech that has as many PPC's on as possible but I still want it to be fast and have as close to 50% heat eff as possible.

I tried out two PPC's on my raven 3L but had to drop some armor and put a smaller engine on.

So which mech/build would be best to meet all of my requirements or am I asking for too much?

Thanks.

None. PPCs generate too much heat. 2 PPCs is the best you can get on most mechs, and even then, getting 50% heat efficiency is not easy.

Some assault mechs can carry as much as 8 PPCs, but they can only fire 2 at a time, and that lasts about 2-3 shots, and then they over heat.

Here's the closest you can come for a reasonable price

SHD-2K

You can drop the SSRMs and BAP if you want, and add more DHS with an XL 300. Switching down to PPCs would lower your heat consumption as well, btw.

Remember, that build is a foundation, you can work off of it, and improve it.

#3 ProfessorD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:43 AM

I'm a little confused by your approach here. You want to use as many as possible of a 7 ton weapon, so you started with a 35 ton mech?

If starting with Ravens indicates that you want to go faster than 100kph, you're never going to quite get everything you want. You can get close, though.

I assume you ended up with a build something like this. It does have ECM, which could be very useful for surprise sniping. If this is what you want to do, you should also try this somewhat faster ECM Cicada.

You also have good options in Blackjacks and 55 tonners, like this Griffin or this Shadowhawk. The 55 tonners probably offer the sweet spot you need to balance out speed and heat efficiency, and they can mount JJ.

In case you hadn't noticed already, "as many PPCs as possible" basically means 2, because of Ghost Heat. It gets crippling if you try to add a 3rd. You could chain fire this Shdadowhawk, if you want, but chaining 10 damage at a time is generally less effective than striking with 20.

EDIT: Technically, this Blackjack has all the features you're looking for. This Cicada is very close.

Edited by ProfessorD, 16 September 2014 - 05:55 AM.

#4 Stonefalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationProselytizing in the name of Our Lord and Savior the Annihilator

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:44 AM

if you want to be heat neutral you will need an atlas and 52 single heat winks to do the job for a pair of ER PPCs

#5 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:54 AM

Thanks.

It's like the old joke: "You can have it Fast, Cheap or Good. Choose two."

The closest to this you could get would be using an Awesome, but 50% heat and be fast with max armor? Sorry, you have to give up something somewhere.

The is the best I could come up with. It's slow, prone to exploding on Alpha Strike tough with a shield arm, but it runs an XL so it will be a little squishy. You fire all at once and you will die most likely due to Ghost Heat, but so will the guy you hit... hopefully.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...63519b6de4b49cb

I know of one guy who does run this build or something similar and he does very well with it... but I also watched him accidentally hit the Alpha Strike button 1 second into match. a full 60 seconds later, his mech exploded from the overheat for it took that long for it to cool down enough for it to reactivate and go boom.

Sorry to say, the mech you want is a unicorn. Gonna have to make do some other way.

#6 Nick Makiaveli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:02 AM

Koniving has a Battlemaster build that runs something like 8 ERPPCs. It takes several minutes to cool down, but doesn't kill it itself with an Alpha due to a quirk in the GH numbers. Basically it creates so much heat, the damage system appears to glitch and instead of dealing X damage, it deals Y% so you never die.

I keep meaning to build it, but keep forgetting.

That said, what Kjudoon said.

#7 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:18 AM

View PostNick Makiaveli, on 16 September 2014 - 06:02 AM, said:

Koniving has a Battlemaster build that runs something like 8 ERPPCs. It takes several minutes to cool down, but doesn't kill it itself with an Alpha due to a quirk in the GH numbers. Basically it creates so much heat, the damage system appears to glitch and instead of dealing X damage, it deals Y% so you never die.

I keep meaning to build it, but keep forgetting.

That said, what Kjudoon said.

You actually die with the second alpha.

My DWF with 9xERPPCs does the same thing. Alpha one leaves me at critical internal health, and needs about 3-4 minutes to cool off. Alpha 2 will most likely destroy me.

#8 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:25 AM

I would actually go heavier. Consider the 4xPPC Awesome 8T or 2xPPC with backup Catapult K2. Note that the Awesome is much cooler than it seems in Smurfy because it has heavily increased cooling via mech quirks. Note also that the Awesome is a pretty weak mech in general, it just happens to fit your criteria.

Edited by Modo44, 16 September 2014 - 06:26 AM.

#9 Psyrex

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:27 AM

Thanks for the replies and help.
After reading everything you all have said I have come to the conclusion that im asking too much.

Maybe I could get away with firing 2 PPC's and then a second set of 2.

I want to be able to move around at speed as im used to my light and I like being able to get around the map and take pot shots before moving again.

Full armour just makes me feel more comfortable as I dont want to be too quishy

I think its going to be tricky to find a nice balance.

#10 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:30 AM

I'll just leave this here.

3 PPCs, full armor where it matters, 84kph, 47% heat efficiency.

#11 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:30 AM

View PostPsyrex, on 16 September 2014 - 06:27 AM, said:

Thanks for the replies and help.
After reading everything you all have said I have come to the conclusion that im asking too much.

Maybe I could get away with firing 2 PPC's and then a second set of 2.

I want to be able to move around at speed as im used to my light and I like being able to get around the map and take pot shots before moving again.

Full armour just makes me feel more comfortable as I dont want to be too quishy

I think its going to be tricky to find a nice balance.

SDR-5D with one ERPPC, 150Kph, ECM, and JJs could work for you.

#12 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:32 AM

You can always buy a Stalker 3F (4xPPC) or Warhawk Prime (4xERPPC). That is about as high as you can go while keeping heat manageable. Note that both of these will be very hot when using more than 2 PPCs at a time.

Edited by Modo44, 16 September 2014 - 06:36 AM.

#13 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:38 AM

2 PPCs is already a lot of PPCs.

I've had good luck with a Blackjack with 2 PPCs, 2 medium lasers, 2 machine guns. Goes 90-something kph. Used to use a Quickdraw with two ERPPCs and 4 MLs.

If you want 4 PPCs you want something much heavier, Awesome, Stalker, or Battlemaster, Masakari... but 4 PPCs is so hot it's not very effective anymore and you're probably better off with fewer plus some backup weapons.

Edited by Redshift2k5, 16 September 2014 - 06:39 AM.

#14 The Trumpet of Gabriel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 193 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:54 AM

You could try a banshee 3m w/ an xl350 and 4 ppc's + a few medium lasers for back up. It runs pretty hot, but you can do a pretty rapid chain fire for a little while and when the target gets closer switch to medium lasers. It isn't very fast ~65-58kph IIRC, but can be fun. That was before the ppc nerfs. I haven't tried it since then.

#15 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:56 AM

I did that quad PPC Banshee, but before speed nerfs. It was pretty effective as you could fire groups of 2 PPCs for quite a while before overheating, at which point things were often dead. Just be sure to not use Endo Steel when taking an XL engine -- more heatsinks that way.

#16 Mobile Ordnance Platform

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 334 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:12 AM

the mech you want is definitely the cicada 3M with standard IS ppcs
the speed and ecm allow you to take alot of shots you couldnt in other mechs

you stay with your group providing direct fire support constantly firing off ppc over the course of an entire match it will average 500-600 dmg a game once u get used to it

with a XL280 engine you will have enough speed (125 kph) and heatsinks to be really effective

forget firing 4 ppc it just wont be viable
and if your too slow you cant dictate range or displace/kite which is a huge issue with standard ppc

#17 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:47 PM

This is what I run for my AWS-8Q
Max engine, near max amour, no ghost heat and runs cool with mech quirk.
2x PPC for mid range sniping, 5x ML when some poor SOB try to rush an Awesome for easy kill.
Stick in fast fire module for PPC and ML, and target info module to stack with the BAP.
Pin point a weak component and blow it off.

#18 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:33 AM

Not happening best mech I find is Warhawk 4 ERPPC or one of the many with just 2 ERPPCs.

#19 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:39 AM

Thanks.

Edit: reduce the amount of PPC' down to 4 so I can fire sets of 2.

forget PPCs, they have been nerfed to oblivion.

#20 HlynkaCG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationSitting on a 12x multiplier and voting for Terra Therma

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:38 AM

View PostE N E R G Y, on 17 September 2014 - 12:39 AM, said:

forget PPCs, they have been nerfed to oblivion.

Exaggerate much?

Just cause the aren't the godmode sniper weapon they once were does not mean that they aren't effective.
On most maps fights occur at less than 600m anyway.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users