37 replies to this topic

#1 Deathsiege

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 177 posts
  • LocationBay Area CA

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:24 AM

This has always bothered me but hasn't happened in a long time until last night. I was doing a pug drop getting xp to master a mech. We drop and a Spider steps in front of me and blasts me with machine gun fire. I figure its a mistake that he's organizing weapons groups. Then he does it again. We're 10 seconds into game. So I stuck an AC/20 under his chin and let one fly. Mom always said if someone hits you hit them back. So he takes of running and match gets played out with no further back-stabbing but whats the thought process here? What was he trying to tell me? Nothing was said in team chat. I don't get why you shoot a team mate but make no mistake, you hit me I hit you back.

#2 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:25 AM

No, there's not, although sometimes teammates will use small damage weapons like that to catch a friendly's attention. Still not really acceptable. Just report offending players

#3 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:26 AM

The proper protocol would be to report the incident to support and not engage in any retaliation.

#4 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:27 AM

Some people are just jerks, its actually adds to their DMG total (instead of subtracting like it should) at the end of the game and is like padding your stats. I often shoot my buddies in the back as a joke in our group drops for this reason. Its funny when i KNOW the person and can say "thanks for that last 15 DMG bud!" lol but its a jerk move either way.

Do just like you did, then at the end of the match report it.

#5 Project_Mercy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 430 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:28 AM

There's a couple things I've noticed when teammates shoot me.
  • There's a bug where the IFF/FOF arrow doesn't show over a mech for certain people. For some reason people assume no flag means enemy and they just shoot them. Unfortnately there isn't really any visability into this bug for people who don't read the forums, and so they keep doing it.
  • Some people like to "Test Weapons". Sometimes they're just mashing on the mouse button when the match starts and start blasting. Sometimes they're trying to see the heat impacts of that map on that loadout. For whatever reason, they're perpetually shooting other people. This is more an issue in certain game types because for some unknown reason the game packs lances together like cordwood on spawn
  • Some people don't realize that team damage exists and just shoot you to test their tracking without knowing it actually hurts you. Same with running into you. They just assume that team damage is off like in most games in this period.
Note, If you ran into that spider, you probably damaged his/her legs, and they were probably pissed and shot you back. I can't tell you how frustrating it is for a light that the first 60 seconds of a match are trying to NOT get ran over by your teammates who blindly smash W, irrespective of the fact you leave your lancemates at 95% health just because you can't drive.

Edited by Wraeththix Constantine, 16 September 2014 - 11:32 AM.

#6 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:31 AM

View PostBilbo, on 16 September 2014 - 11:26 AM, said:

The proper protocol would be to report the incident to support and not engage in any retaliation.

That's boring. Some would advocate legging them and leaving them.

#7 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:33 AM

View PostLyoto Machida, on 16 September 2014 - 11:31 AM, said:

That's boring. Some would advocate legging them and leaving them.

Some would also report you for doing so. I usually just ignore it.

#8 SI The Joker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 728 posts
  • LocationBehind you!

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:39 AM

He may also have had the bug which causes him not to see a reticule over you, so he may not have actually been sure of friend or foe status.

That or... he was just a db and messing with you.

I think PGI's stance is "don't fire back, just report 'em".

#9 Mercules

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:41 AM

Was it possible that you stepped on him right at the start? You have an AC 20 so I am going to assume your mech was larger. If you were an Assault you can do some significant damage to a light just turning around to go in a different direct than you are facing. If you scraped him up against a wall you might have taken half the armor of his leg and these days lights need every little bit they can keep.

If so he might have given you a friendly reminder that he was there... since MGs do next to no damage to armored pieces. I've used MGs in a similar manner or waved a Tag beam/laser in front of their face constantly for a minute or so.

It is getting rare that I drop in the solo Queue and exit the drop area with all my armor intact and I get moving as quickly as I can to get out of the way.

#10 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:46 AM

When I first came back to mwo for the op24 thing I got tked many a time because "kill MWB"

Or more recently, the Reddit hate for gold mechs (which never really became a thing did it?)

View PostWraeththix Constantine, on 16 September 2014 - 11:28 AM, said:

There's a couple things I've noticed when teammates shoot me.
  • There's a bug where the IFF/FOF arrow doesn't show over a mech for certain people. For some reason people assume no flag means enemy and they just shoot them. Unfortnately there isn't really any visability into this bug for people who don't read the forums, and so they keep doing it.
  • Some people like to "Test Weapons". Sometimes they're just mashing on the mouse button when the match starts and start blasting. Sometimes they're trying to see the heat impacts of that map on that loadout. For whatever reason, they're perpetually shooting other people. This is more an issue in certain game types because for some unknown reason the game packs lances together like cordwood on spawn
  • Some people don't realize that team damage exists and just shoot you to test their tracking without knowing it actually hurts you. Same with running into you. They just assume that team damage is off like in most games in this period.
Note, If you ran into that spider, you probably damaged his/her legs, and they were probably pissed and shot you back. I can't tell you how frustrating it is for a light that the first 60 seconds of a match are trying to NOT get ran over by your teammates who blindly smash W, irrespective of the fact you leave your lancemates at 95% health just because you can't drive.

Some ppl also alt tab out and have the game in windowed mode, so they click back in, shooting their weapons.

Edited by Mechwarrior Buddah, 16 September 2014 - 11:48 AM.

#11 Willard Phule

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:57 AM

A couple of the biggest reasons are fairly simple....and they all come back to inexperienced players having artificially inflated Elo scores and, thus, being placed in matches they shouldn't be in.

The first is zooming/unzooming. A lot of people simply don't unzoom when they move or get close to teammates. Whether this is because they simply don't care or they can't find the right key without looking at their hands is immaterial. Zooming in narrows your field of view and if you have teammates in front of you, a lot of time you just don't see them.

The second is the mad rush to "get the kill." Ever notice that regardless of where you tell the team that the enemy is, they all rush to the first red triangle they see......you know, "chasing the squirrel?" In the mad dash to be the one getting the kill, they simply don't care if they shoot you or not. Granted, a lot of the time they're zoomed in...see what I said earlier.

Either way you slice it, in the solo queue, you're going to get stuck with new players. And, new players are....new.

Do whatever you think is best, just don't TK them. You'll get in trouble for that.

#12 Jonny Taco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 706 posts
  • Locationan island

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:13 PM

View PostWillard Phule, on 16 September 2014 - 11:57 AM, said:

Do whatever you think is best, just don't TK them. You'll get in trouble for that.

Good point, we should instead rant/flame about nonsense in open chat whenever a thought comes through our heads. :rolleyes:

P.S. This jest was in good fun phule, don't take it personally :P

#13 Ozric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,188 posts
  • LocationSunny Southsea

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:24 PM

The only reason to shoot a team mate is because you are a lilly livered scum eating mentally unstable rat monkey.

Edit: Or by accident. Or because he is a TK'er, or a few other things, but mostly never! Certainly not for anything petty like blocking or accidental FF. Are we children?

Edited by Ozric, 16 September 2014 - 12:26 PM.

#14 Lootee

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:25 PM

Sometimes if a teammate is being a blind imbecile, ex: sniping at some mech 800m away while there are 3 lights running around 30m behind him triple teaming me he'll accidentally get an alpha strike in the back when an enemy skillfully maneuvers between us and my poor gunnery skills cause me to miss the opponent.

This unfortunate mishap usually gets genius-boy to turn around and deal with the threat at hand. Just wish I could have hit that enemy, but he was too trixsy.

Edited by Lootee, 16 September 2014 - 12:34 PM.

#15 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:26 PM

View Postlartfor, on 16 September 2014 - 12:13 PM, said:

Good point, we should instead rant/flame about nonsense in open chat whenever a thought comes through our heads. :rolleyes:

P.S. This jest was in good fun phule, don't take it personally :P

I have general chat turned off, so rant away.

The issue ive seen lately is ppl walking between my lrm boat and my target and taking a flight of 70 Clrms (mainly using lrms due to a broken elbow - if youve ever wo9ndered how many impulses go through your elbow when you try to use a mouse, its all of them) in the back, then getting pissed. Thats kind of like getting pissed at a train because it hit you.

Edited by Mechwarrior Buddah, 16 September 2014 - 12:29 PM.

#16 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:27 PM

There's a bug that removes friendly IFF markers. I shut down one time and when I powered back up there was a Battlemaster right behind me that was lacking a dorito so I thought it was a bad guy and spent the rest of the match evading and shooting at him -- he was on my team

Edited by DocBach, 16 September 2014 - 12:29 PM.

#17 Deathsiege

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 177 posts
  • LocationBay Area CA

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:47 PM

Thanks for your responses. To sum it up the match had just started and I was waiting for move out orders and hadn't budged. The Spider stepped in front of me and lit me up twice. This hasn't happened in a long time and I wasn't sure if he had a beef from another match. I just wanted to put and end to it. See you all on the battlefield!

#18 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:48 PM

I play with 2 monitors, keeping TS and other things up while waiting for a game to start.

If you are in the 2nd monitor and the game actually starts, not loads, you can get an issue where your first mouse click or key causes you to fire before you can get control of your mech back.

I've accidentally shot people because of this. So wait to be sure my field of fire is clear before getting control back OR I've discovered that hitting the "escape" key and going to that window prevents the accidental fire issue.

#19 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:56 PM

View PostTLBFestus, on 16 September 2014 - 12:48 PM, said:

I play with 2 monitors, keeping TS and other things up while waiting for a game to start.

If you are in the 2nd monitor and the game actually starts, not loads, you can get an issue where your first mouse click or key causes you to fire before you can get control of your mech back.

I've accidentally shot people because of this. So wait to be sure my field of fire is clear before getting control back OR I've discovered that hitting the "escape" key and going to that window prevents the accidental fire issue.

I do this almost every time im alt tabbed out of game. sorry.

#20 ApolloKaras

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:58 PM

View PostDocBach, on 16 September 2014 - 12:27 PM, said:

There's a bug that removes friendly IFF markers. I shut down one time and when I powered back up there was a Battlemaster right behind me that was lacking a dorito so I thought it was a bad guy and spent the rest of the match evading and shooting at him -- he was on my team

I had that happen to me... I was in my Ember, and none of my team had triangles. At first I thought it was an enemy under ECM, but I look around and I see no blues. What grinds my gears is when you have folks that just shoot at you right after you drop, and claim OH YOU DIDN'T HAVE A BLUE MARKER. Do you honestly believe the light pilot would have just danced near you without shooting you? lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users