If You Block A Dire Wolf While He's Trying To Get Out Of Fire...

75 replies to this topic

#21 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:20 PM

View Postprocess, on 16 September 2014 - 11:56 AM, said:

Tandem formation! It's not very effective...

The Battlemech-Centipede?

View PostSaxie, on 16 September 2014 - 11:56 AM, said:

When an assault pushes out there are teammates that will follow right behind you to support you. I mean if you have the guts to push out, you might as well continue the push if your team is with you.

maybe the guys behind should realize stepping out of cover is not the same as "making a push".

Also, since even when the Assault DOES make a push, all the rest of the team does is camp in the cover the assault vacated, I can see where the ill will might form.

#22 Jonny Taco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 706 posts
  • Locationan island

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:22 PM

View PostDamien Tokala, on 16 September 2014 - 11:50 AM, said:

he reserves ALL right to shoot your face off. seriously people, not cool. don't block people!

This applies to every and all mechs!

#23 Carrioncrows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:22 PM

View PostMatthew Craig, on 16 September 2014 - 12:16 PM, said:

I find a frustrating counterpart to this to be when Mechs ahead of you reach a chokepoint make a small push and then stop right in the chokepoint, now I have to watch helplessly as my teammates get pummeled single file *sighs* if you are pushing a narrow chokepoint, hang back or push through, standing around in the middle isn't going to end well. Maybe we should equip Mechs with horns or loudspeakers ;)

Maps like Terra Therma where it's nothing but a endless series of choke points one after another you are always going to end up with this.

Would be cool to have Team Warhorn that when triggered meant "PUSH" or "BACK UP", or even "HELP"

People have mentioned a rollout menu for quick orders but I think a horn idea has better merit as it doesn't require you to read chat.

#24 Rainer Frost

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:24 PM

A horn playing "Ludacris - Move B-it-ch"?
I'd buy that.

#25 Damien Tokala

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 788 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:31 PM

i don't want to team kill, but i also don't want to get wasted because theres a tiny little raven standing directly behind me. there should be like a stomp damage if people are constantly ramming into you, it deals damage, small amounts, and keeps building

#26 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:35 PM

I'll never understand an assualt mech running and hiding like a little child when they take a scractch from a machinegun...

But there is collsion damage, it's just very, very small. Still turnning and nuking a team mate, just 'cause they were in a bad position, is just being a poor sportsmen. Just give them a moment to move, and I'm sure they will, I know I do, when I'm in a choke point, and an assualt starts to back up with out warrning.

#27 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:39 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 16 September 2014 - 12:35 PM, said:

I'll never understand an assualt mech running and hiding like a little child when they take a scractch from a machinegun...

But there is collsion damage, it's just very, very small. Still turnning and nuking a team mate, just 'cause they were in a bad position, is just being a poor sportsmen. Just give them a moment to move, and I'm sure they will, I know I do, when I'm in a choke point, and an assualt starts to back up with out warrning.

It's more usually, Assault pops out to take a look, or a shot, then gets shot by 6-8 enemy mechs, realizes that Assaults mechs die fast to focused fire, and trying b not to die, and thus deny their team of 100 tons of firepower.

If more people actually supported their Assault mechs, and realized that the main force is best made of the more mobile heavy and Mediums, with the Assaults (with Lights using mobility to rear defend, flank enemy formations, scout, target, etc) coming in behind as the hammer, we would see less of this. And possibly less "support assaults" too.

Yes some are made because people are scared to get their epeen scratched. But a lot are made in disgust of constantly being left to hang by the rest of the bloody team.

#28 Cion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 750 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:45 PM

I find a frustrating counterpart to this to be when Mechs ahead of you reach a chokepoint make a small push and then stop right in the chokepoint, now I have to watch helplessly as my teammates get pummeled single file *sighs* if you are pushing a narrow chokepoint, hang back or push through, standing around in the middle isn't going to end well. Maybe we should equip Mechs with horns or loudspeakers ;)

Command wheel?

That or basic tactics training besides guides on how to operate a mech :) but yeah, this and other problems happening, and probably always will to some extent..

#29 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:47 PM

I think it's the responsibility of the lighter, more maneuverable mechs to get out the way of Dires and Atlases-- especially if you're following behind through a tight gap. I follow behind, but I watch closely to see if I need to back up quickly or if there's a gap through which I can fan out.

#30 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:50 PM

agreed to a point...or maybe just because I am going a certain direction,....does that mean everyone HAS to follow me?

Can't tell you how frustrating it is, to go off to flank and harass.... then have 4-5 other idjits with no concept of stealth stuck to my butt. Even after I politely ask the to buggger off. I mean let's use Terra Therma for example. How many entrances are there?

And unless you take the middle first, you are gonna get face melted trying to get in there, anyhow.

Why most maps devolve to ring around the derp ring, IDK.

#31 Matthew Craig

Technical Director

• 867 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 16 September 2014 - 01:17 PM

Agreed Cion some rapid Comm commands would likely go a long way, even just a basic set of Attack my Target, Move Up, Regroup, etc. would allow for some faster coordination than trying to type in chat for those that aren't using voip.

#32 Tynan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 277 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 01:25 PM

Seems to me it's usually a bad idea to be RIGHT BEHIND the person who's the first through a breach, especially on Terra Therma. While, yeah, people shouldn't just stand in the gap, if you're going through and and you see eight enemy mechs you're going to back up.

Basically, if you're following a push and they back up, you back up. Chances are they're backing up because following through on the push is a bad, bad idea.

#33 SgtMagor

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 01:27 PM

Maybe we should equip Mechs with horns or loudspeakers...........yes please, put air horns on the mech so we can alert our team mate that their in our way, and where about to unload an alpha strike right in their rear torso!

Edited by SgtMagor, 16 September 2014 - 01:30 PM.

#34 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 16 September 2014 - 01:27 PM

View PostTynan, on 16 September 2014 - 01:25 PM, said:

Seems to me it's usually a bad idea to be RIGHT BEHIND the person who's the first through a breach, especially on Terra Therma. While, yeah, people shouldn't just stand in the gap, if you're going through and and you see eight enemy mechs you're going to back up.

Basically, if you're following a push and they back up, you back up. Chances are they're backing up because following through on the push is a bad, bad idea.

I push through and either engage anyway or drop off the platform, but I'm crazy. I also know good and well I won't be able to go back the way I came.

#35 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 16 September 2014 - 01:39 PM

On a related note (and with a special wink to the assault pilot that dropped with me yesterday): If I'm in a light or medium and come running back from a chokepoint, firing my jumpjets to try to get over you since there's no room to either side of you, please don't take that as an invitation to fire all your weapons at me and call me names because my legs clipped you. Jump jets just aren't that effective any more, yaknow :)

#36 Apnu

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationMidWest

Posted 16 September 2014 - 01:43 PM

Does that mean if I'm taking a beating and fade back and the Dire Wolf standing behind me using me as a shield, won't budge, can I knee cap the Dire Wolf?

#37 Tynan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 277 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 01:45 PM

View PostApnu, on 16 September 2014 - 01:43 PM, said:

Does that mean if I'm taking a beating and fade back and the Dire Wolf standing behind me using me as a shield, won't budge, can I knee cap the Dire Wolf?

That "not budging" is actually the Dire Whale's maximum reverse speed.

#38 Apnu

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationMidWest

Posted 16 September 2014 - 01:45 PM

View PostTynan, on 16 September 2014 - 01:45 PM, said:

That "not budging" is actually the Dire Whale's maximum reverse speed.

LOL! Good one.

#39 pulupulu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 01:46 PM

and if you jump in front of ally direwolf while dw is engaging... you deserve to be dead.

Edited by pulupulu, 16 September 2014 - 01:47 PM.

#40 Helsbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationThe frozen hell that is Wisconsin.

Posted 16 September 2014 - 01:50 PM

Yeah, I 'gun cleared' my six yesterday as some idjit in a Raven decided it was fun to use me for a LRM shield. Just kept shooting my quad 2s until he ran off. If you hold me in place, I will turn and fire on you until you die or move. Either outcome works for me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users