If You Block A Dire Wolf While He's Trying To Get Out Of Fire...

75 replies to this topic

#41 Damien Tokala

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 788 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 01:51 PM

View Postpulupulu, on 16 September 2014 - 01:46 PM, said:

and if you jump in front of ally direwolf while dw is engaging... you deserve to be dead.

it's actually happened before too... three players tried pulling in front of me while i fired off twin CUAC20... all of them died

#42 Apnu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationMidWest

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:15 PM

View PostMatthew Craig, on 16 September 2014 - 01:17 PM, said:

Agreed Cion some rapid Comm commands would likely go a long way, even just a basic set of Attack my Target, Move Up, Regroup, etc. would allow for some faster coordination than trying to type in chat for those that aren't using voip.

Don't forget a "RTB" for "Return to Base"!

#43 Thunder Lips Express

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 905 posts
  • LocationFrom parts unknown

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:29 PM

View PostSandpit, on 16 September 2014 - 12:05 PM, said:

Mostly situational awareness to be honest. That's why Terra's middle area is a kill zone a lot of times. 2-3 want to stop at entrance and prevent anyone behind them from returning fire as well, meanwhile they're trying to push inside around the derps just standing there getting picked off one at a time

you're back?!? *hug*

#44 Griggio

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 252 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:32 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 16 September 2014 - 12:05 PM, said:

No the worst is when some mouth breather is pushing with a Dire Wolf or Timber Wolf, decides that they don't want to push that position, then back up, bump into you, then turn around to blow your right torso off, as you were moving up to support them....

Not that that happened to my shiny new Adder Prime last night on Forest Colony or anything…. <_<

You aren't supporting much of anything if you're directly behind him. Unless part of your support is stripping armor off his arms trying to shoot around him. :ph34r:

#45 Gyrok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:35 PM

View PostMatthew Craig, on 16 September 2014 - 12:16 PM, said:

I find a frustrating counterpart to this to be when Mechs ahead of you reach a chokepoint make a small push and then stop right in the chokepoint, now I have to watch helplessly as my teammates get pummeled single file *sighs* if you are pushing a narrow chokepoint, hang back or push through, standing around in the middle isn't going to end well. Maybe we should equip Mechs with horns or loudspeakers ;)

LOL...A HORN!!!

I could see this being the troll button...however, there are MANY TIMES I have wished we had a steam whistle or something on board the mech to get the idgets out of the freaking way!

#46 KamikazeRat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 711 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:35 PM

i've been on both sides of this (and often in the middle, i see atlas attempting a reverse, i reverse and shove some poor jenner up my awesome's exhaust)

on the one hand, if the guy in front of you is reversing, reverse (we need back-up beepers or something too incase they are distracted)
on the other, if you are in a pinch-point...better yet...don't be in a pinch point. but if you find yourself charging up a hill into a pinch-point...everyone behind you expects you to keep going and push in. not saying its the best tactics...its just what everyone behind you is expecting to happen, thus, when you change your mind, or try to hill-hump the choke-point, yeah, you're going to get a raven crammed somewhere uncomfortable.

#47 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:37 PM

View PostGriggio, on 16 September 2014 - 02:32 PM, said:

You aren't supporting much of anything if you're directly behind him. Unless part of your support is stripping armor off his arms trying to shoot around him. :ph34r:

When trying to get into a point where I can move around him, in a little vally, he backs into my right side, turns, shoots, and now Im down half my weapons and side armour, with damage going to my CT too, makes me last a long time against the other team....

#48 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:39 PM

The most frustrating scenario for me is when an under-gunned teammate parks in front of me when i'm delivering a hell storm to an enemy with the DWF. He thinks he's helping. when he actually is saving the enemy mech!

#49 LORD ORION

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:56 PM

or loudspeakers ;)

You could monetize this and make A CRAP TON OF MONEY from your whales.

#50 Syncline

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 205 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:59 PM

I will not hold my fire if you walk in front of my DWF while I am engaging an enemy. I will also murderate you if you block me from going where I need to go. You can go faster than me, so go around me.

#51 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 16 September 2014 - 03:05 PM

View PostEcliptor, on 16 September 2014 - 11:53 AM, said:

Goes for anything, I especially hate it when I'm shooting at people and then a teammate parks himself in front of me to shoot the same target...

That happened to me a couple of days ago in the Canyon Network. I was about to finish off a Dire Whale for the win when some jackass in a Firebrand gets right in front of me to shoot it (probably one of those idiots who believes KDR determines how skilled you are -it does NOT). He scratches it and the Whale opens up with everything and kills us both and we lose the match.

#52 Kageru Ikazuchi

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 03:12 PM

Before you ever think "S key = save my mech key" ... remember ... "W key = win key"

If you peek around a corner/through a choke point an a 100 ton 'mech, and see some enemies in front of you, and some friendlies behind/around you ... push through ... get in their face, kick their junk in, and use your 600 points of armor and 300 points of internals to soak up damage. You might die ... in fact you probably will, but you might take some of them with you. And while you're soaking damage, your friendlies can get into the battle while your enemies are using their ammo and heat to melt your armor.

The 3-4 seconds it takes to S Key back from a corner or choke point is the exact same amount of time it should take for four or more mechs to W Key past that same corner or through that same choke point.

W key is win key.

#53 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 16 September 2014 - 03:14 PM

View Poststjobe, on 16 September 2014 - 01:39 PM, said:

On a related note (and with a special wink to the assault pilot that dropped with me yesterday): If I'm in a light or medium and come running back from a chokepoint, firing my jumpjets to try to get over you since there's no room to either side of you, please don't take that as an invitation to fire all your weapons at me and call me names because my legs clipped you. Jump jets just aren't that effective any more, yaknow :)

Agreed.

Though one of my pet peeves with most light pilots these days?

When they insist on driving into you (talking about ones on your team) instead of going around when they can, when they have the acceleration to almost not notice, but now I got to start pushing my fat Assault up that hill from scratch again.

Plenty I times I miss collisions...just cause I think me taking the guys leg off a few times might convince him to use that extra speed and mobility to NOT impeded the slower mechs on the team.

#54 KamikazeRat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 711 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 03:17 PM

View PostKageru Ikazuchi, on 16 September 2014 - 03:12 PM, said:

Before you ever think "S key = save my mech key" ... remember ... "W key = win key"

If you peek around a corner/through a choke point an a 100 ton 'mech, and see some enemies in front of you, and some friendlies behind/around you ... push through ... get in their face, kick their junk in, and use your 600 points of armor and 300 points of internals to soak up damage. You might die ... in fact you probably will, but you might take some of them with you. And while you're soaking damage, your friendlies can get into the battle while your enemies are using their ammo and heat to melt your armor.

The 3-4 seconds it takes to S Key back from a corner or choke point is the exact same amount of time it should take for four or more mechs to W Key past that same corner or through that same choke point.

W key is win key.

only problem with that is the cowardly medium right behind you who blocks the choke point "covering you" and you suicide charge all by your lonesome.

#55 Kassatsu

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 16 September 2014 - 03:18 PM

I just had a match where a dire wolf decided to take a leisurely stroll right in front of my nova... Lost my right torso and nearly my left arm while he had me pinned to the wall, was very tempting to strip his rear armor and deal a bit of internal damage.

#56 Zoid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 03:18 PM

The absolute best feeling in the world as an Assault pilot is when a light or medium jumps in front of you with 2 medium lasers right before you were going to unload on someone and makes you hold your fire, only to duck out of the way of the return fire so you eat it all.

I've also had a CTF literally jump into a laser stream (trying to get the KB) and die and then blame me for the TK. I just laughed at him.

Edited by Zoid, 16 September 2014 - 03:25 PM.

#57 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 16 September 2014 - 03:25 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 16 September 2014 - 03:14 PM, said:

Though one of my pet peeves with most light pilots these days?

When they insist on driving into you (talking about ones on your team) instead of going around when they can, when they have the acceleration to almost not notice, but now I got to start pushing my fat Assault up that hill from scratch again.

Plenty I times I miss collisions...just cause I think me taking the guys leg off a few times might convince him to use that extra speed and mobility to NOT impeded the slower mechs on the team.

I'm old-school; I still avoid other 'mechs like the plague - friendlies as well as enemies. A habit I learned from when collisions were in that I just can't shake. That's probably the reason I have a bit of a disconnect when people talk about "ankle-biting" lights...

If collisions (and not to mention knockdowns) ever make it back into the game, I guess there's going to be a lot of light pilots that need refresher courses in basic light piloting.

#58 Augustus Martelus II

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 476 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMontréal, QC Canada

Posted 16 September 2014 - 03:30 PM

I find a frustrating counterpart to this to be when Mechs ahead of you reach a chokepoint make a small push and then stop right in the chokepoint, now I have to watch helplessly as my teammates get pummeled single file *sighs* if you are pushing a narrow chokepoint, hang back or push through, standing around in the middle isn't going to end well. Maybe we should equip Mechs with horns or loudspeakers ;)

I want i need it! =D

#59 Ozeo

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 78 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 03:32 PM

Why not simply put a rear view mirror at the top of the mech that allows us to see behind us?

#60 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:07 PM

Yes, please, make the warhorns scream via a keypress. In addition, make the warhorns belch a different tune when a team mate is killed by me. Both should teach people to get out of the way.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users