New Computer Concerns

12 replies to this topic

#1 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:48 PM

I may be assisting in getting new computers for a couple of older relatives who already dislike some changes in Windows 8 from what they are familiar with. Currently I need to know these things:

1 - Is there a way to transfer files from one computer to another? I did this once over 20 years ago, involved a cable connected between computers and a special program, I am guessing the procedure today is simpler.

2 - What about transferring emails, contacts and similar related information from one mail program to another? They have been using WinXP and Outlook mail, none of the mail seems saved when they access the accounts through a browser.

Might have more questions as this continues.

#2 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:33 PM

I would think so, but the jump all the way from XP to 8.1 might not be allowed.

Make shore they get an SSD, and then pick a start button replacement. Or from here.

#3 ninjitsu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 402 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:08 PM

View PostGoose, on 16 September 2014 - 04:33 PM, said:

Make shore they get an SSD, and then pick a start button replacement. Or from here.

Why do they need an SSD?!

You can't use Windows easy transfer from xp to 8. You'll have to backup all their files to some sort of external media and fresh install software. Do you know how much info needs to be backed up? You can get pretty large USB flash drives for cheap. a 32 or 64 gig flash drive may do the trick, or an external hard drive.

#4 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:33 AM

View PostMerchant, on 16 September 2014 - 02:48 PM, said:

I may be assisting in getting new computers for a couple of older relatives who already dislike some changes in Windows 8 from what they are familiar with. Currently I need to know these things:

1 - Is there a way to transfer files from one computer to another? I did this once over 20 years ago, involved a cable connected between computers and a special program, I am guessing the procedure today is simpler.

If both PC are in the same network you can create shared folder on one of them and push (or pull, depending on setup) the files from one to the other.

Please note, that this only works for documents, pictures, music and such. You will not be able to transfer program specific settings. For a hint to do that that see the outlook reply.
Spoiler

Of course you can also simply use an USB stick or external harddrive.

View PostMerchant, on 16 September 2014 - 02:48 PM, said:

2 - What about transferring emails, contacts and similar related information from one mail program to another? They have been using WinXP and Outlook mail, none of the mail seems saved when they access the accounts through a browser.

You might want to do this step first.

Outlook has the option to export mails and contacts. You can find that under File -> Import/Export. You will be able to select different formats to save your data in. You can import your data back into the same or newer versions of Outlook.

Many (but not all) programs have a similar ability, but not always in the same place. You might need to look through the options to find them.

Save those file in a place where you can easily access them, to move them over to your new system (see above).

You can not save or transfer personal desktop settings from XP to 8 or 8.1. You have to set them manually once more.

#5 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:40 AM

View Postninjitsu, on 16 September 2014 - 08:08 PM, said:

You can't use Windows easy transfer from xp to 8. You'll have to backup all their files to some sort of external media and fresh install software. Do you know how much info needs to be backed up? You can get pretty large USB flash drives for cheap. a 32 or 64 gig flash drive may do the trick, or an external hard drive.

A 120GB ssd is probably big enough for everything they do, and costs about the same as a normal (but bigger) harddrive.

If the old drive is sata you can just add it to the new system after it runs, makes transferring data easy, if it's pata you can probably get a $15 usb casing, making the old harddrive into an external drive.

Edited by Flapdrol, 17 September 2014 - 02:05 AM.

#6 Vimeous

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 191 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:53 AM

If you're lucky and they've saved everything to default folders then:

On XP pc the documents and settings folder contains their user profile data. In it should be their documents, pictures, music and crucially internet favourites. You can copy the individual folders out if needed. Some programs (often proprietary picture software) might break his rule but usually they put their custom folders in here too e.g. iTunes.

In Win7 and 8 (8.1) the same details are found in the users folder. (Albeit called slightly different names).
Once they've logged in the for the first time you can manually copy the favourites and other contents into the similar structure if you've not found a suitable program to do it or if their software doesn't include an export option.
You can copy the entire outlook content in one hit between pc's if you going to use outlook on the new pc. Outlook stores all it's info in a single pst file that can be copied between machines but it does require a little bit of faffing about on your part with settings so Egomane's approach may suit better. If you want to know I'll try and pop back later with more info.

N.B. if they use Firefox favourites = bookmarks and it's probably easier to export and reimport than a simple copy and paste for IE.

PC
They don't need an SSD. However it'll make them use the PC more naturally like they might be used to with a tablet or mobile. Making use more intuitive helps loads.
Also showing them how to use chimes and where on/off is are the key to easy win8 use.

Edited by Vimeous, 17 September 2014 - 02:00 AM.

#7 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 18 September 2014 - 04:06 AM

View Postninjitsu, on 16 September 2014 - 08:08 PM, said:

'Cause it impresses n00bs, and anyone you are buying for is a n00b. Posted Image

#8 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:23 AM

With Outlook, if, when viewing via browser log in, you are only able to see the emails located the IN/SENT folders they have setup personal folders/archives that is located on the hard drive.

http://www.wikihow.c...crosoft-Outlook

You will need to see what email program they will be using, be it a program or web-based, to see how to migrate the info from Outlook to it.

http://windows.micro...#tabs=windows-8

May wish to see what other programs they use, and whether or not they compatible with W7/8. If not then looking for programs that are.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 18 September 2014 - 05:35 AM.

#9 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:28 AM

What Mail client does 8 / 8.1 use? I have been under the impression that unles you get Office, you had to use the one from Windows Live like I have been though I also got that for other features.

View PostGoose, on 16 September 2014 - 04:33 PM, said:

What is SSD?

#10 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 25 September 2014 - 12:12 PM

An SSD or Solid State Drive is a fast, but small flash-based storage medium (like an SD card, but more sophisticated) that tends to make computers which have them much faster for everyday use, opening web browsers and documents and starting and shutting down, etc etc, vs a computer with just a regular hard drive. An SSD will make the computer "feel" faster and more responsive than just about any other upgrade.

Are they worth it? IMO, yes. If they just to basic work, even a 64-90GB SSD ought to easily be enough, I would think. Costs vary, but you'd be looking at drives like these on the low price end (I avoid Sandforce controllers as a rule, but in this case that just happened to be a consequence of the drives that were cheap for a given size)

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820233626

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820148693

Edited by Catamount, 25 September 2014 - 12:13 PM.

#11 KommandoSpookums

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 12:37 PM

I have to agree with getting an ssd, the speed will save you time both now and in the future, besides they have a low failure rate and use less power (may save them some money depending on the psu)

#12 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 25 September 2014 - 02:23 PM

this is an in deapth answer with step by step instructions on how do do what you have asked

1. yes, there are several ways to copy files from 1 computer to another, if you have a USB hard drive or USB stick with sufficient capacity to store all files across then just copy the files from the old PC to the external drive, then frof the drive to the new PC. assuming you do not have an external hard drive and have too much to fit on a USB stick, here is the best alternative way to transfer files

have both computers turned on and connected to the internet (preferably both connected with a network cable, that will be far faster than transfering over WIFI, although WIFI will suffice if necessary),
on the old PC create a folder,
right click on the folder and select properties,
go to the sharing tab,
click share this folder,
when it asks who to share it with type "everyone" without the quotes
take note of the folder path (if the old PC was called PC1 it will be something like \\PC1\new folder)
copy or move the old PCs files to that folder
wait until it has finished copying/moving the files

from the new PC press the start button and type run
click on the run icon, then type the first part of the folder name you noted down earlier (\\PC1 in my example), if there was a space in the name put quotation marks (" ") around what you type
after a few seconds (worst likely case about a minute) the PC will hopefully open the shared folder, if it asks you for a username and password type in the old PC name, a \, then the username for the old PC (e.g. if the account was dave in my example the username would be pc1\dave) then on the line below type the the password
you should now see a list of all shared folders on the old computer, select the one you created earlier
copy the files in that folder to the new computer, depending on how many files this could take hours to complete, just let it run
if an error box comes up read it carefully and make a desision

to transfer emails, (instructions based on Outlook 2010, may be slightly different on your PC)
on the old PC open Outlook
got to the file menu,
options
advanced
export
export to a file
outlook data file (.pst)
next
select the folder you want to save, (this will probably be a folder with the email address as its name),
make sure include subfolders is ticked
next
in the save as box, navigate to the shared folder you created in earlier
click finish

on the new PC
open outlook (or your new email client)
file
open
select the the file you just created
wait for the import to complete,
the old emails should now be on the new PC

#13 steverogers

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 26 September 2014 - 03:57 AM

I've noticed a huge drop in loading times with the SSD card, so good :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users