9 replies to this topic

#1 ManDaisy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:43 PM

I see way too many people who dont know what they are doing frankly being overwhelmed by clan mechs when they dont know enough about the game and tactics to stand a chance. To many low skill players are standing around in shock accepting incoming fire at (clan) optimal ranges and expecting their team to carry them.

Due to this, as with last results I predict a 90% win ratio on the clans PURELY because they will have less , inexperienced players on their team.

I think results would be MUCH MUCH more accurate if ELO was not (SANDBAGGED) to balance high and low skill players. If both sides ONLY included high skilled players results would be much more balanced.

#2 D R E A D N A U G H T

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 77 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:49 PM

I think, sadly, that the only way to win, is not to play.

Let me quantify this. IS players have nothing to lose, and everything to gain, by not putting up a fight. In the last match I played, I saw a Banshee on river city, wade out into the middle of my entire teams fire. He was rotating and spreading damage, but he did not once return fire. Of course this followed up by their teams raven that ran right into the middle our group and shut down while we nuked him.

If you want accurate results, then you have to give an incentive to play well. In this case, IS players have every incentive not to play well......clan nerfs. What could possibly be more rewarding?

I'm not saying all IS players would do this, but even the good IS players have to admit that there are those amongst the IS ranks that have and will.

Sadly, for me, the choice is clear. Don't play in these silly challenges. It's the only way to win.

#3 MoonfireSpam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 209 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:31 PM

My ex[experience is the opposite, most of the IS teams I was on played like champs. For the solo queue people demonstrated patience, uncanny coordination, will to fight (lots of cries of "The invasion stops here and Clan trash talk"), UAVs etc.

It was really good.

Also stomps did go both ways, but felt overall quite even.

#4 Murphy7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,553 posts
  • LocationAttleboro, MA

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:01 PM

My experience was different as well... played 8 matches against clans (and two more IS on IS crime sprees), won 3 and lost 5.

From where I was standing, pretty much the first team to get to a 2 mech advantage was able to carry to a margin of victory of 5 mechs or more. Only one of the matches I was in closed out closer, 12-10 for the clans.

Your milage may vary.

#5 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:06 PM

I hate to say this, but I don't think there's enough people in the active play population to allow this to happen reliably.

While "discussion" of how new players should be sandboxed away from the rest continues, they are still lumped in there whether we want them or not. Fortunately this issue seems limited to the solo queue and not so much the group queue (although, people will try it out on their own).

It's difficult as it is with the 3/3/3/3 system... that's for sure.

#6 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:21 AM

At the OP.

Wow, just wow. That seems like a real elitist attitude.

Anyway, filtering out a certain ELO creates a bias in one way or another. When a developer balances the game, they need to take in all player skill levels into account. You can't just balance for the really good players and you also can't just balance for the beginners. All of the population needs to be taken into account.

Besides, I am sure their stat tracking can be filtered by ELO level. They can see which level is averaging what and take that into account as well.

Still, treat the population equally and account for all play skill levels.

#7 Scratx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:29 AM

I can't be the only one who saw a far more balanced ISvClan test yesterday. I mean, OMG, I actually came out 3 wins, 2 losses against the Clans in my founder Catapult...

And Russ confirmed 73% win rate for clans... when the ELO diff should account for 60-65 win rate at most.

Chill. Let's see what the incoming quirkage will do. :)

Edited by Scratx, 17 September 2014 - 08:29 AM.

#8 CharlieChap

• PipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:42 AM

Chill. Let's see what the incoming quirkage will do. :)

A good turn of phrase :-)

#9 Xarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • 997 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:55 AM

Make all the trial mechs into Clan mechs and we'll see how much it affects things...

#10 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:12 AM

Whilst not eloquently put i can understand and agree with the premise here.

Alot of poor IS players run configs of the most stupid variety, and tend to not play very well either!

The clans are still largely behind a paywall that shields them from this as much which will obviously influence results.

But also as above, i dont think player numbers will support such a function.

Edited by DV McKenna, 17 September 2014 - 09:12 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users