When Mm Decides To Own You.

24 replies to this topic

#1 JigglyMoobs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:10 PM

Some times MM stacks the teams so badly there's just nothing you can do. Below is an example from tonight. It was so bad, we did our best to apologize and mentally prepare the opposing team. :D

Better luck next time guys. You made a valiant effort, but MM just decided to screw you. :( :P ;)

Edited by JigglyMoobs, 16 September 2014 - 09:11 PM.

#2 Mazerius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationIn Your Periphery Stealin Your Planets

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:19 PM

Your vid doesnt work :( i wants to see the match(whine) :P seriously tho ive been in those types of matches before, occasionally they turn out well but in general its "Well at least this'll be quick!"

#3 Thrudvangar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 646 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:32 PM

can't watch the video but i must say, after getting off work yesterday i played 6 games of wich i only won one... matchmaker really sucks no matter on wich team, winning or losing, you are...

stomps almost every game because of:

- one of the teams has 3 or more ECM mechs and LRM platforms where the opposing has none..
including NARC/TAG spotters.

- one of the teams has a clear tonnage advantage, bringing 4 direwolves with their noob 4x ac5
loadouts or at least has more assaults and more heavies than the other team.

this is the case in almost every match i play and these, i wonder why, turned into stomps.

not to forget the "nice" elo system wich forces veterean ppl into heavy "noob" groups...

so after these 6 matches yesterday i just stopped playing... no fun anymore...

#4 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:45 PM

View PostMazerius, on 16 September 2014 - 09:19 PM, said:

Your vid doesnt work :( i wants to see the match(whine) :P seriously tho ive been in those types of matches before, occasionally they turn out well but in general its "Well at least this'll be quick!"

Ahh it should work now. It was still processing by Youtube when I first made the thread. :)

#5 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:54 PM

View PostMazerius, on 16 September 2014 - 09:19 PM, said:

No whining from the losing team, they were remarkably good sports. We kept it fun with humorous banter going back and forth. :)

Edited by JigglyMoobs, 16 September 2014 - 09:54 PM.

#6 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:11 PM

I can't see the vid, but was that the one I was in and you had iirc Hulkins Bradly and bentron, oh and Dario was it?

#7 meteorol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:28 PM

Recently, the matchmaker has decided to own me. Like permantently. I'll stop playing until i'm back from my long anticipated holiday.
He will forget who i am. :D
I lost enough games to drop my w/l rather significantly, tanked the k/d of my favorite mech from 4.67 to 4.28 (mind you, this mech has 373 games played with it, not 14 or somethign like that).
Currently, one look at the scoreboard and watching the map for 10 secs after the start makes it possible for me predict a defeat with at 85% success rate. And i'm predicting a lot of defeats.

But well, no harsh feelings here. There are just times when the MM decides to sent you on a spectacular losing streak. I'll just take a short break and after i come back, he will probably award me with one of those crazy winning streaks that also happen from time to time.

#8 Mazerius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationIn Your Periphery Stealin Your Planets

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:48 PM

Is it bad that I giggled a bit when you killed the guy with the airstrike? :P

#9 Thrudvangar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 646 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:08 PM

View Postsneeking, on 16 September 2014 - 10:48 PM, said:

yes but winning by stomp does not balance out losing by stomp, extremes one way or the other are not good match making and mm has never gotten past that.

we are stuck with a pendulum effect which is unrewarding win or lose.

id rather lose every single time after a good fight than have win and lose streaks served up where match predictions can almost be assured but player satisfaction can't be guaranteed.

just my thoughts...

100% this!

#10 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:10 PM

View PostGhogiel, on 16 September 2014 - 10:11 PM, said:

I can't see the vid, but was that the one I was in and you had iirc Hulkins Bradly and bentron, oh and Dario was it?

Yeah, plus a number of others whom I had mentally marked as good pilots, eg Mr. Blonde, etc.

You did some beautiful fly by hit and runs on us though. :D

Alas you were also getting nailed by gauss shots and other focused weapons in mid air. :o

#11 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:19 PM

View PostMazerius, on 16 September 2014 - 10:48 PM, said:

Is it bad that I giggled a bit when you killed the guy with the airstrike? :P

LOL, I swear that was not on purpose. I definitely did not specifically try to kill him with an air strike after telling everybody to toss strikes his way. :D

#12 Kmieciu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:36 PM

This was a pretty even match considering mechs. At least the other team had 2 TW, 2 DW and an Warhawk. I had matches just yesterday in the group queue where there were no Clan mechs on our side and 4 TW and 4 DW on the other.
I kid you not.

On the plus side, the MM for groups works much faster than in solo queue. Probably because the Elo score is averaged across the whole group and it's easier for someone with unusually high (or low) Elo to find a match.

Edited by Kmieciu, 16 September 2014 - 11:47 PM.

#13 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:03 AM

View PostKmieciu, on 16 September 2014 - 11:36 PM, said:

On the plus side, the MM for groups works much faster than in solo queue. Probably because the Elo score is averaged across the whole group and it's easier for someone with unusually high (or low) Elo to find a match.

The MM completely disregards Mech distribution and Elo in favor of quick matching. To counterbalance potential tonnage differences, our group usually has a few 'Mech that are designed to wear down priority enemy 'Mechs before the actual fight begins to secure a first minute advantage.

#14 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:17 AM

yeah MM was kidna poop yesterday.

started to level other chassis now, instea dof goiing nova only.

LRM's LRM's everywhere, great chance to level my kitfox with ECM and narc. No LRM's have been seen in my team within 7 except in one game.

Then going back to othermechs again. LRM's LRM's everywhere.
Spoiler

#15 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:23 AM

Sorry but you obviousely don't know what stacked is. When there are a 6-man of Lords or SJR with another 6-man of GK or AS, or european version with 6-mans of BSMC and VRGD which have 6 DireWolves and 6 TimberWolves among them, and they are put against a bunch of 2-3 man groups ... thats stacked. I see a couple good players in that match but thats about it, not even a single big group.

Point is valid tho. Most of the time it appears that MM is trying to achieve the 50-50 win/loss ratio not with balanced matches but rather with horribly unbalanced ones by placing you on either much stronger/weaker team with a 50% chance.

#16 FatYak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 585 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:57 AM

View Postmeteorol, on 16 September 2014 - 10:28 PM, said:

Currently, one look at the scoreboard and watching the map for 10 secs after the start makes it possible for me predict a defeat with at 85% success rate.

I completely agree with this statement

maddening isnt it?

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 17 September 2014 - 12:23 AM, said:

Point is valid tho. Most of the time it appears that MM is trying to achieve the 50-50 win/loss ratio not with balanced matches but rather with horribly unbalanced ones by placing you on either much stronger/weaker team with a 50% chance.

9 months ago i would have 100% agreed with this

Ive since come to the conclusion that individual players lose matches for a team more than MM ever does, at least since the last MM update

#17 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:09 AM

View PostFatYak, on 17 September 2014 - 12:57 AM, said:

Ive since come to the conclusion that individual players lose matches for a team more than MM ever does, at least since the last MM update

Oh, by all means. When I drop by myself or in a small group I always try to focus on what I/we could have done better. But still, most of the times in the endgame report you see a high number of 0-50 damage individuals on one team and none on the other. These guys or rather the fact that they aren't evenly distributed into two teams eventually leads to 12-0 - 12-2 stomps regardless of wether teams have "evil premades" or not.

The example I gave with 6 BSMC and 6 VRGD being on one team and no groups of more than 2-3 on the other is actually exactly what happened couple days ago. They had 5 DireWolves and 4-5 TimberWolves, needless to say opposing team was utterly crushed in like 2-3 mins. This isn't just some episode, MM simply didn't give them a single chance. It could have easily put each 6-man into different teams in the same match for perfect balance but it didn't. Thus I have to conclude that MM isn't seeking balanced games, its seeking 50-50 W/L for you, which isn't same at all.

#18 FatYak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 585 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:24 AM

i get how the group cue would do that, cant explain the solo cue though

EDIT

- pay no attention to this....i misread your post -

Edited by FatYak, 17 September 2014 - 01:25 AM.

#19 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:30 AM

It depends partly on your build. Mechs that can rapidly cripple components while engaging and disengaging at will can influence the outcome more often than others. This is why timbys, Victors and stormcrows are so good.

Some times though, mm just decides you should lose, and that's about all there is to it. I mean, you know its gonna be bad when you are up 3-0 4-0 before your assaults and timbys have even made it to the fight. XD

Edited by JigglyMoobs, 17 September 2014 - 07:36 AM.

#20 jper4

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 05:26 PM

dunno if they've been testing clan vs IS in the MM but had a match yesterday- other side 12 clan mechs (3 whales, 3 kitfoxes couple nova, couple twolves forget the others)- our side 12 IS. we lost 12-0 i think 4 people broke 100dmg on our team (i was at 90 i think) was lrms everywhere til they just swarmed right over us.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users