As7-S Soon The #1 Atlas Or The #3 Gimp? Possible Hardpoint Discussion...

55 replies to this topic

#1 Shell Game

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:01 AM

On October, 21st many of us will be receiving our complimentary AS7-S, 100 ton Atlas.

The main interest that I have for this model will be the Mech's hardpoint layout. Will it become the "go to" Atlas in the game and as a result a game changing front-line mech? The other possibilty, which is probably going to happen, it becomes the 3rd mech used to master out the other variants and thus a gimp.

Based on my reading of the AS7-S on the Sarna.net, Battletech source website the hardpoint layout we will probably get.

RA 1E
RT 2B
CT 2M
LT 2M
LA 1E, 1 AMS

This one features 8 weapons hardpoints, and one AMS, Very similar to the AS7-D which it is supposed to be a FedCom variant of. The DDC will be preferred still over this.

Hopefully the design team takes this a step further by doing either of the following:

RA 1E , 1AMS
RT 1B
CT 2M
LT 2M
LA 1E , 1AMS

This model removes one of the Ballistics hard points in favor of a second AMS hardpoint. The effect of this upgrade is that it makes the AS7-K completely obsolete. LRM spam is still a big issue in this game and this model partially addresses this issue, especially if we see an ECM nerf in the near future.

Call this wishful thinking, but this is what I would really like to see for hardpoint distribution to make this model competitive:

RA 1E, (1 AMS)
RT 1B
CT 2M
LT 2M, ECM Guardian
LA 1E, 1 AMS

This model would incorporate aspects from the AS7-S2 upgrades, which give the mech the highly desired ECM capabilities. This model would still retain the ability of mounting the big Gauss Rifle and the necessary ECM to compete with the AS7-D-DC. This model would be relevant and seen in many numbers whether the second AMS hardpoint is present or not.

The unique paint scheme and 30% C-bill bonus will be part of the design when released. Hopefully, these bonuses will not factor into a lesser battlefield performance role for this mech, from a hardpoint design aspect.

Edited by EpicWarlord, 17 September 2014 - 10:03 AM.

#2 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:10 AM

View PostEpicWarlord, on 17 September 2014 - 10:01 AM, said:

Hopefully the design team takes this a step further by doing either of the following:

The effect of this upgrade is that it makes the AS7-K completely obsolete.

Why are you hoping the AS7-K becomes obsolete?

#3 Thumper3

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 281 posts
  • LocationTemplar Headquarters

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:21 AM

I was kinda hoping they would switch the rear facing SSRM racks for jump jets. :D

Unsure if they would release the ECM varient making two models of the same chassis with ECM, and if they do, the ECM varient had no AMS. And I promise you they will not be giving us an ECM equipped dual AMS mech.

And if they did, it wouldn't be one they gave away for free I wouldn't think.

Be awesome to get it with a head laser though, even better if they used 2x energy hardpoints in the CT as well.

Either way, it's an Atlas and it's free, win/win. :D

#4 Kh0rn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:28 AM

The stock load out for a AS7-S is as follows. Not sure if they will use this but possibly.

LA/RA = 1E
LT= 4M
RT= 1B
CT= 2E

But if I had a choice it would be this.

LA/RA = 1E
CT= 2M
LT= 2M
RT= 1B

#5 Tastian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 768 posts
  • LocationLayton, UT USA

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:31 AM

View PostKh0rn, on 17 September 2014 - 10:28 AM, said:

But if I had a choice it would be this.

LA/RA = 1E
CT= 2M
LT= 2M
RT= 1B

What happened to the 4 med lasers then?

#6 Kh0rn

• Shredder
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:33 AM

I guess they fell away I just took that from the bone lay out but then you have a Atlas with 9 hardpoints kinda outclasses the rest.

#7 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:39 AM

With 4M hardpoints and zombie capability this mech should be able to run some serious face-melting loadouts. If nothing else, its almost certainly going to be "better" than Boar's Head and at least on par with the AS7-D. I'm just hoping the custom paint job is a good one (and not another "Ember" deal where you can barely customize it at all).

#8 Kh0rn

• Shredder
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:43 AM

I agree. the BH was a terrible take on the Hero mech. For some reason I think they tried too make it a speedy variant but what some people fail time and time again too see is that a Atlas is not meant too go fast. Its an area denial assault unit. It suppose be a slowly tanking monster returning enormous firepower. I think for the AS7-S the two extra missile points will be in the CT. They made it the same for the D the two CT lasers were rear firing in the lore. The AS7-D and AS7-S are my two favourite Atlas in the cannon. And I will admit I am a atlas freak its all I piloted for 6 months lol. All we need now is a toggle for the glowing eyes.

#9 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:44 AM

View PostEpicWarlord, on 17 September 2014 - 10:01 AM, said:

Based on my reading of the AS7-S on the Sarna.net, Battletech source website the hardpoint layout we will probably get.

RA 1E
RT 2B
CT 2M
LT 2M
LA 1E, 1 AMS

Try this instead, based on the actual mech sheet.

RA 1E
RT 1B
CT 2E
LT 4M
LA 1E

And that's with no extra ballistics for the AC20.

Edited by Bront, 17 September 2014 - 10:52 AM.

#10 WildeKarde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:45 AM

It has 4M in the LT originally plus 4 lasers plus the AC20 - that would put some serious hurt as 4SRM6 in one side and AC20 on the other could be painful. I doubt it'll get the double ballistic in the RT a lot of atlas variants have had.

#11 Kh0rn

• Shredder
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:47 AM

View PostBront, on 17 September 2014 - 10:44 AM, said:

Try this instead, based on the actual mech sheet.

RA 1E
RT 1B
CT 2E
LT 4M
LA 1E, 1 AMS

And that's with no extra ballistics for the AC20.

Yes that is the BT lay out for it but if they go that route it will have 9 hardpoints it will make the K, D and probably the RS now useless. But we have too wait and see.

#12 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:50 AM

Why not add ECM and dual AMS to make all free variants strictly inferior? What are you smoking?

#13 MisterPlanetarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 910 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:04 AM

View PostKh0rn, on 17 September 2014 - 10:47 AM, said:

Yes that is the BT lay out for it but if they go that route it will have 9 hardpoints it will make the K, D and probably the RS now useless. But we have too wait and see.

Quirks are also on the way so no reason to completely rule out those hardpoints.

#14 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:08 AM

View PostKh0rn, on 17 September 2014 - 10:47 AM, said:

They can't not give us hardpoints for the stock loadout.

The K is already mostly useless due to a lack of hardpoints.

The RS has the E slots on the arms, so has some aiming advantages with energy. The D has a second B slot and can mount 2 LBX10s or AC5s, and the S would simply be more missiles, but is limited by them being in the same torso.

#15 Leopardao

• PipPipPip
  • Korpral
  • Korpral
  • 90 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:18 AM

http://www.mordel.ne...php?a=vt&id=245

Weapons
Medium Laser LA
LRM 20 LT
SRM 6 LT
2 Streak SRM 2s LT
2 Medium Lasers CT
Medium Laser RA
Autocannon/20 RT

Energy hardpoints 4
Ballistic hardpoints 1
Missile hardpoints 4

Edited by Leopardao, 17 September 2014 - 11:25 AM.

#16 Corbon Zackery

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:32 AM

•AS7-S A very basic FedCom upgrade of the standard Atlas introduced in 3050, the S model removed five heat sinks from the design, upgrading the rest to Double Heat Sinks. The weight savings are used to add two rear firing Coventry T4H Streak SRM-2 launchers, giving the Atlas increased protection in its rear arc of fire. After the civil war production of this model ceased, although garrison forces in both sundered states continued to use them, with AFFS units using Precision Ammunition for the autocannon and LAAF units making use of specialized LRM munitions captured from the Free Worlds

Nothing like rear mounted streaks to liven up peoples day.

#17 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:42 AM

View PostCorbon Zackery, on 17 September 2014 - 11:32 AM, said:

Nothing like rear mounted streaks to liven up peoples day.

It eats mechs and poops missiles!

#18 101011

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:48 AM

View PostThumper3, on 17 September 2014 - 10:21 AM, said:

And I promise you they will not be giving us an ECM equipped dual AMS mech.

So what is the Kit Fox?

#19 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:50 AM

View Post101011, on 17 September 2014 - 11:48 AM, said:

So what is the Kit Fox?

Not a 100 ton mech.

#20 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:55 AM

View Post101011, on 17 September 2014 - 11:48 AM, said:

So what is the Kit Fox?

Triple AMS, not duel AMS. (that and the Kitfox C lore wise had 3 AMS, 1 ECM in the same arm. Just be happy they didn't double it like all the IS mechs... you would have seen 6 AMS instead)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users