6 replies to this topic

#1 Zeece

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:47 AM

Recruiting in MWO hasn't been the easiest... Which is one of the main reasons I created this spreadsheet.

But obviously a spreadsheet format has its limitations so I'm coming to you guys to ask for ideas and suggestions. How can I improve upon this and make it a truly useful tool to help new players find units to join?

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

Thanks in Advance

#2 ThatDamnWolf

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationUsually not where he should be!

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:02 AM

Nice spreadsheet Zeece. You have much of the information that new players need to choose a unit that they will enjoy. I know this may sound silly but maybe a column for what units do RP elements and special quirks? I know there may not be many but there are some and I know a few players have expressed interest in a little RP fun.

Just my pennies.

#3 DEMAX51

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:13 AM

It's a really awesome sheet, Zeece. Huge props for putting this together.

The only recommendation I have would be a minor formatting change (and it's a very minor, nitpicky change) - move the Unit Tag column all the way to the left, so that it's the first column (before the actual Unit Name). Reason being, when you use CTRL-F to search the spreadsheet (as a lot of us do right before a game starts, to see who we're playing against if we don't recognize them), the spreadsheet will scroll over to the right and obfuscate the Unit's Name, such that you have to scroll back to the left to see it.

Otherwise, it's awesome man!

Edit: OH! and one other thing - you may want to reach out to groups that are "recruiting" to see what exactly they are recruiting players for. For instance, the BSA is recruiting for EU comp team players, and general members, but our NA comp team is full at the moment.

Edited by DEMAX51, 18 September 2014 - 09:15 AM.

#4 Zeece

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:55 AM

View PostDEMAX51, on 18 September 2014 - 09:13 AM, said:

It's a really awesome sheet, Zeece. Huge props for putting this together.

The only recommendation I have would be a minor formatting change (and it's a very minor, nitpicky change) - move the Unit Tag column all the way to the left, so that it's the first column (before the actual Unit Name). Reason being, when you use CTRL-F to search the spreadsheet (as a lot of us do right before a game starts, to see who we're playing against if we don't recognize them), the spreadsheet will scroll over to the right and obfuscate the Unit's Name, such that you have to scroll back to the left to see it.

Otherwise, it's awesome man!

Edit: OH! and one other thing - you may want to reach out to groups that are "recruiting" to see what exactly they are recruiting players for. For instance, the BSA is recruiting for EU comp team players, and general members, but our NA comp team is full at the moment.

Good Suggestion on moving the column.. I'll get that taken care of!

Also good idea on the Recruiting! I'll add that to the to do list

View PostThatDamnWolf, on 18 September 2014 - 09:02 AM, said:

Nice spreadsheet Zeece. You have much of the information that new players need to choose a unit that they will enjoy. I know this may sound silly but maybe a column for what units do RP elements and special quirks? I know there may not be many but there are some and I know a few players have expressed interest in a little RP fun.

Just my pennies.

Totally valid points. There are pure FPSers, Some are pure RPers and some are a mixture. It is good info when helping to choose a unit to join.

#5 NautilusCommand

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 695 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:33 PM

Idea.
Get into contact with the units and ask for a brief bio about the unit, goals, and other jazz. then have a link through the spread sheet to these bios as a different page (like another spreadsheet purely made of just bios) Kinda like what has already suggested but I think It'd be a nice format.

Also for the comp aimed teams having a track record of wins and losses in tournaments, as this may be a deciding factor of the team. Even further to that extent asking for the size of the comp team would be nice too, being that some teams have a larger amount of players for their "dedicated comp players/comp team".

It's a great start and will only get better as time goes on.

#6 Zeece

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 September 2014 - 04:52 PM

View PostNautilusCommand, on 18 September 2014 - 03:33 PM, said:

Idea.
Get into contact with the units and ask for a brief bio about the unit, goals, and other jazz. then have a link through the spread sheet to these bios as a different page (like another spreadsheet purely made of just bios) Kinda like what has already suggested but I think It'd be a nice format.

Also for the comp aimed teams having a track record of wins and losses in tournaments, as this may be a deciding factor of the team. Even further to that extent asking for the size of the comp team would be nice too, being that some teams have a larger amount of players for their "dedicated comp players/comp team".

It's a great start and will only get better as time goes on.

Good ideas.. and.... Lots of work there... :D

#7 Mordale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,008 posts
  • Locationon some backwater rock of a planet

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:30 PM

Zeece,
Nice job on the spread sheet!
I am one of the Leaders of the Praetorian Legion,..if you need some help with it,..i would be happy yot help out.
We have a few ways we Recruit new Pilots! Plus having almost to full Lances of all Girls,...well that helps too! LOL

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users