#1 Uberware

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:43 AM

MechWarrior Online on the Oculus Rift DK2 Review/Gameplay
Take a look at VR on MechWarrior Online, I think it is going to really add something to this game!

#2 CreszZ

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 52 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:54 PM

I have been playing on both the DK1 (with TriDef) and DK2 with Vorpx and Love it - totally the way to play the game I think. You are at a pretty big disadvantage on the DK1 though with long range targets due to the lower resolution, but great for brawling.

The DK2 is much better graphically and it would be awesome to someday get native support - it is seriously cool to fly over your enemy with jump jets, perch on a building top, then join the fray - feeling like your almost really there!

It takes quite a bit of tweeking multiple settings as it is now regardless of whether you use TriDef or Vorpx ....I would say that I got the TriDef to display the cockpit and HUD better with the DK1 (couldn't get the DK2 to head track with TriDef -but that could be me, or maybe there is a patch out there...)

#3 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:34 PM

...so instead of moving your head around in the cockpit, you use your heat to control your aim?

:unsure:

#4 SilverlightPony

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 330 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 06:17 PM

View PostHelmstif, on 30 September 2014 - 08:34 PM, said:

...so instead of moving your head around in the cockpit, you use your heat to control your aim?

MWO doesn't currently have built-in support for the Rift; this video was made by using third-party tools to pass the headlook tracking data to the game as mouse movement. It works, technically, but it's hacky and far less than ideal.

What we want is (a) a toggle to separate the in-game headlook from all torso/arm movement, leaving the latter controlled by the mouse or joystick, and the head tracking info used only for looking around within the cockpit; and (b) a way to have the in-match UI (at least the reticle, but preferably all of it) rendered a bit farther in 3D space from the cameras/eyes than the current "right at the tip of your nose" scenario.

Edited by SilverlightPony, 28 October 2014 - 06:18 PM.

#5 masCh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 407 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 06 May 2015 - 06:33 AM

What now? The new patch notes said something about fixing 3D problems?

Can the head movement be separately controlled from the mech torso/arm controls now?

#6 S3dition

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts
  • LocationWashington, USA

Posted 09 May 2015 - 03:09 PM

Someone with a good idea: "Hey we could use VR so people can use the entire cockpit view of their mech for better battlespace awareness and utilize the cockpit displays for awareness and immersion!"

Implementation: "I replaced the mouse with your face, because the mouse pitch and yaw is what you want to use a $300 VR headset for."

Edited by S3dition, 09 May 2015 - 03:10 PM.

#7 Kissamies

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 01 August 2015 - 02:25 PM

As there is headtracking support now, it should work on the VR as well. Haven't seen any videos of anyone doing it, rhough.

#8 Catbear

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 06:58 AM

View PostKissamies, on 01 August 2015 - 02:25 PM, said:

As there is headtracking support now, it should work on the VR as well. Haven't seen any videos of anyone doing it, rhough.

I think that is cuss the commercial release oculus rift isn't out just yet, I'm sure there will be some after its out!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users